Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matt Leinart

Default Matt Leinart

Somebody had to start a thread on him eventually. ESPN.com has an article that claims the Cardinals are taking calls about him from other teams.

There is obviously a connection since Haley was once his OC, and it's never a bad idea to improve your depth at QB. If Cassell turns out not to be our guy, or if he gets injured, where are we going to turn. As much as I like Brodie, everybody knows we would be lucky to get through one game without him being injured.

I have always felt like Leinart could be a star QB if he was ever given a real chance to become a full-time starter. He has been better than Anderson statistically, but rumor has it that his teammates just don't believe in Leinart and so Anderson is going to be the starter. Something tells me that Leinart is now highly motivated to prove his teammates and critics wrong, and he is going to go somewhere and do good things. A motivated QB with Leinart's talent and a fresh start could be scary good.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    He actually looked very promising as a rookie (am I the only one who remembers his game against the Chiefs that year!?). He got yanked early in his second season when Whisenhunt took over, and has never been given much of a chance since.

Take a look at his first year game logs, which includes the record for the most passing yards ever in a single game by a rookie, and tell me if you really think he is a Russell caliber bust:

Matt Leinart Game Log - Arizona Cardinals - ESPN

I realize that there are some games where his QB rating wasn't great, but there were just as many times that it was great. Inconsistency is expected out a a rookie, but great games are a sign of potential.

I'm not saying that I am definitely right, but there are plenty of reasons to think that he has massive amounts of potential. I would be willing to wager that he would have been a solid starting QB at worst by now if they had not switched coaching staffs on him during his second year.

And to those complaining about his arm, how often did you see Rich Gannon throw the ball deep down the field and what did you think of his ability as a QB? Nobody questioned Leinart's leadership at USC. Maybe it's hard to be a leader when, for whatever reason, your teammates don't believe in you. Would they believe in him more if their coach had given him a vote of confidence? Is another coach willing to give him a legit chance and a vote of confidence now?
    Leinert is a left-handed version of Cassel on the field (questionable accuracy and arm strength), and he's a locker room cancer. It makes absolutely no sense to sign him, much less trade anything for him.

If we pick anyone up for a backup, it should just be a solid vet. A guy like Josh McCown or Jeff Garcia isn't great or anything, but at least he's healthy and good locker room guy.

Leinhart hasnt progressed at all since he came into the NFL. This guys is absolute garbage. Not only has he shown zero progression, but he is still as immature as ever. If he cant win the confidence and support if his locker room, why would he work out here? I am actually fine with the QBs we have now on the roster. I would rather take a chance on Quinn if hes released. Next year we might need to be looking at a new one. Not this year

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Leinert is a left-handed version of Cassel on the field (questionable accuracy and arm strength), and he's a locker room cancer. It makes absolutely no sense to sign him, much less trade anything for him.

If we pick anyone up for a backup, it should just be a solid vet. A guy like Josh McCown or Jeff Garcia isn't great or anything, but at least he's healthy and good locker room guy.
    Garcia is not a good locker room guy from what I've heard. In the past he hasn't helped any of the young QBs at all, which is what you want from a vet. QB to come in as a back up. He's all about himself. I think he would cause dissension in the locker room more than he would help.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    He actually looked very promising as a rookie (am I the only one who remembers his game against the Chiefs that year!?). He got yanked early in his second season when Whisenhunt took over, and has never been given much of a chance since.

Take a look at his first year game logs, which includes the record for the most passing yards ever in a single game by a rookie, and tell me if you really think he is a Russell caliber bust:

Matt Leinart Game Log - Arizona Cardinals - ESPN

I realize that there are some games where his QB rating wasn't great, but there were just as many times that it was great. Inconsistency is expected out a a rookie, but great games are a sign of potential.

I'm not saying that I am definitely right, but there are plenty of reasons to think that he has massive amounts of potential. I would be willing to wager that he would have been a solid starting QB at worst by now if they had not switched coaching staffs on him during his second year.

And to those complaining about his arm, how often did you see Rich Gannon throw the ball deep down the field and what did you think of his ability as a QB? Nobody questioned Leinart's leadership at USC. Maybe it's hard to be a leader when, for whatever reason, your teammates don't believe in you. Would they believe in him more if their coach had given him a vote of confidence? Is another coach willing to give him a legit chance and a vote of confidence now?
    I've watched every game this guy has started and played in. He is not NFL starter material. Period. If a team is looking for a backup that will dink and dunk, take quite a few sacks and hang some receivers out to dry, he's their guy!!!

Well all I have to say about it is our coach knows him very well and if he does not want him that is fine with me. I would think if he saw something in him he would be trying to get him. Maybe our coach who happened to be the OC at the time had something to do with Leinart being benched just maybe!

Well, the nice thing about this is, between Charlie Weis and Haley, they know what kind of player this guy is. If they DON'T sign off on him, you can trust it's because he isn't worth it. If they DID trade for him, you can bet that the guy isn't void of talent.

I don't care either way, but it would have to be a late pick.

If he can't be made a star with Larry Fitzgerald helping him, then how can he be a star here when our reciters combined don't add up to what Fitz is?
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

He actually reminds me of Matt Cassel but worse. He can't throw the long ball and has terrible footwork! I love the way Brodie plays except he's always hurt. I still rather have Brodie as a backup. Matt Leinart made his case worse when he started crying to the media about not starting. He also became the cancer of the locker room after that. NO NO NO to Leinart. With all that said I still wouldn't be surprised if Todd Haley reaches out to give him a shot. GO CHIEFS!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eweNyHSpxEQ"]YouTube- USC in the NFL preseason: Sanchez's first drive &amp; Leinart's highlights[/ame]

I agree with Wildcat, in that I thought Leinart was impressive his rookie year as well, and the Cardinals had a potential star QB in the making. I do remember the game against the Chiefs that year, which helped form my positive opinion then of Leinart. I've not followed his career much since, so no further opinion, haha.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast