Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overall Preseason thoughts

Default Overall Preseason thoughts

This preseason was 100% better then the preseason that we saw a year ago. I think that there were far more postives then there was negitives. And for the first time in a while this looks like a real football team.

I am more sold on Todd Haley then ever. Last season this team did not often look as good as they have now. And this is only preseason. I no preseason does not mean much but just the fact that the past preseasons have looked so bad this is a huge step forward IMO.

Postives.
    The defense. The defense a year ago gave up tons of yards on the ground and could not get pressure on the qb to save there own lifes. They looked much better on both accounts. Pressure still needs to get more but it's a far step forward on the defensive side of the ball.

The runing game. It looks really good. With Jones Charles and Mccluster I don't think that there is any question that this is going to be an offense that is based on the running game.

The return game. Last year this was a week point. Outside a few nice returns by Charles the Chiefs started often in the shadow of there own goal line most the time.

Negtives
    The passing game needs work. It is by far the weak point of the offense. I hope then when in the real season the running game opens things up for them more but the passing game is in real need of work.

The late defense. Blew a game that the Chiefs should have won against Philly in the last moments. They have to play better in the last moments of the game.

I think this team can make a run at the playoffs with us playing the weak NFC WEST.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I will disagree.... I was on the fence with Cassel and after pre-season game one I was ready to throw him under the bus. I felt his performance in Game two was very sharp, even though he didn't through any deep balls, but the Chiefs had a game plan and he threw the ball accurately.

Game three, he wasn't impressive, but not horrible either.

Last night, I thought Cassel was impressive. Yes, he threw a bad pass over the middle. Other than that he was pretty accurate and has some mustard on the ball. The long pass to Bowe was dead on accurate, but Bowe was raped.

Yes he threw a bad pass, but even the best QB's make at least one bad throw a game. I have seen Peyton Manning do a bunch, and you can see the frustration on his face when he does it. It happens.

I strongly believe that some fans, are so dead set on hating on a guy, that you become blind to everything else he does except the negative and essentially are giving him an unrealistic chance.

I am not saying he is going to be a top 10 QB, but he is good enough to make the playoffs. He threw one interception in Pre-season that I can recall and it was still a good pass had Bowe not slipped. If Bowe had caught that, it was some big yards.

There also people hating on Haley, but the guy so far this off season, has made a huge change compared to last year.

I am more worried about our run defense than our QB.

We finally are gonna get some special teams play this year but the run defense has not looked very good at all. By far a bigger concern than the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    We finally are gonna get some special teams play this year but the run defense has not looked very good at all. By far a bigger concern than the QB.
    Really? I guess holding teams to 100 yards rushing or less ion average through the preseason isn't good enough!
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

I remember last year in pre season where we were begging for a first down. It is nice to see some defense and the offense be able to move the ball. I see everywhere that people are worried about Cassel but keep in mind that not only was everything new last year for him, as soon as he got kind of used to things everything changed again when they released Chan. I see a potential slow start for Matt in early games, but I think he can get it together quickly.
    One thing I love is our running game and our return game. When they put Arenas and McCluster back there for a kick off return, the Packers wanted nothing to do with it and kicked it on the ground twice. There are many areas of growth on both sides of the ball that we have seen and this should be an exciting season.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Really? I guess holding teams to 100 yards rushing or less ion average through the preseason isn't good enough!

MCCOY 20 carries for 84 yards and a TD which came right through the middle. but ur right it was under a 100 yards lets see what happens when number 1 backs carry the ball 25-30 times against us.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I will disagree.... I was on the fence with Cassel and after pre-season game one I was ready to throw him under the bus. I felt his performance in Game two was very sharp, even though he didn't through any deep balls, but the Chiefs had a game plan and he threw the ball accurately.

Game three, he wasn't impressive, but not horrible either.

Last night, I thought Cassel was impressive. Yes, he threw a bad pass over the middle. Other than that he was pretty accurate and has some mustard on the ball. The long pass to Bowe was dead on accurate, but Bowe was raped.

Yes he threw a bad pass, but even the best QB's make at least one bad throw a game. I have seen Peyton Manning do a bunch, and you can see the frustration on his face when he does it. It happens.

I strongly believe that some fans, are so dead set on hating on a guy, that you become blind to everything else he does except the negative and essentially are giving him an unrealistic chance.

I am not saying he is going to be a top 10 QB, but he is good enough to make the playoffs. He threw one interception in Pre-season that I can recall and it was still a good pass had Bowe not slipped. If Bowe had caught that, it was some big yards.

There also people hating on Haley, but the guy so far this off season, has made a huge change compared to last year.

I am more worried about our run defense than our QB.
    That's just it. How many teams without a top 10 or 15 QB made the playoffs last season?

One. And they had the best defense in the NFL.

It's possible, but the odds are heavily against you to make the playoffs without a very good QB.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    That's just it. How many teams without a top 10 or 15 QB made the playoffs last season?

One. And they had the best defense in the NFL.

It's possible, but the odds are heavily against you to make the playoffs without a very good QB.
    He said top 10 there are 12 teams that make the playoffs so that means that at least 2 were not top 10 so you are telling me that all top 10 QB made the playoffs. Besides what makes a top 10 QB? The team has a lot to do with it and mostly only good teams make the playoffs put Brady or Farve on the Chiefs last year or even better 2 years ago would they have been good QB's even though they would not have made the playoffs? One person can not win it all (carry a team on his back) in the NFL now days there is too much talent for that.
    I agree with you in part in that you have to have a good QB to make the playoffs but not a top 10. There have been teams that have won the SB without a top 10 QB. You will never make the playoffs with a team that has a sub-par QB i feel though.

Cassel sat on the bench for 7 years and last year he played behind the Chiefs offensive line. He played pretty good behind the Pats line when given the chance. I have no idea how he will turn out, but I do know it's too early to say.

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    He said top 10 there are 12 teams that make the playoffs so that means that at least 2 were not top 10 so you are telling me that all top 10 QB made the playoffs. Besides what makes a top 10 QB? The team has a lot to do with it and mostly only good teams make the playoffs put Brady or Farve on the Chiefs last year or even better 2 years ago would they have been good QB's even though they would not have made the playoffs? One person can not win it all (carry a team on his back) in the NFL now days there is too much talent for that.
    I agree with you in part in that you have to have a good QB to make the playoffs but not a top 10. There have been teams that have won the SB without a top 10 QB. You will never make the playoffs with a team that has a sub-par QB i feel though.

Yeah, that's why I said top 10 or 15. I almost just said top 10, then I'd obviously look pretty dumb.

Bill Simmons latest article mentions this tidbit that I couldn't agree with more:

Anyone can contend in the National Football League with two mediocre runners and a half-decent third-down back, as long as they can throw and play defense. But you can't contend in the National Football League if your QB sucks, or even if he's mediocre. The days of Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl are long gone.
    The league has evolved a lot, and with all the rule changes now favoring a good passing game, your chances of winning football games greatly improves with a good quarterback, specifically one that attacks defenses and throws the ball downfield (it seems like every 2-3 deep balls nowadays results in a pass interference or roughing the passer, so there's big chunks of free yardage).

Even if Cassel turns out to not be the guy and we have to draft somebody, I think the front office made the right decision in bringing him in. He showed that he could be the leader of a good offense in New England, and we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd rounder. We gave him a big contract, but it is front loaded and we had/have tons of cap space.

If we had drafted a QB instead, the rookie QB would not have had any chance with the team around him, and especially with the OL in front of him. Now if we draft a QB in the next draft, the team around him will be much improved and we will still have Cassel to lead the offense until our young QB is ready. Plus we will have Weiss to groom him into a future star.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Even if Cassel turns out to not be the guy and we have to draft somebody, I think the front office made the right decision in bringing him in. He showed that he could be the leader of a good offense in New England, and we got him and Vrabel for a 2nd rounder. We gave him a big contract, but it is front loaded and we had/have tons of cap space.

If we had drafted a QB instead, the rookie QB would not have had any chance with the team around him, and especially with the OL in front of him. Now if we draft a QB in the next draft, the team around him will be much improved and we will still have Cassel to lead the offense until our young QB is ready. Plus we will have Weiss to groom him into a future star.
    I agree with all of this. We now know that Thigpen is not the quarterback that we thought he may have been, and Croyle obviously can't seem to stay healthy. Drafting a franchise QB this offseason if Cassel is mediocre at best would put us in a great situation for the future.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast