Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Overall Preseason thoughts

Default Overall Preseason thoughts

This preseason was 100% better then the preseason that we saw a year ago. I think that there were far more postives then there was negitives. And for the first time in a while this looks like a real football team.

I am more sold on Todd Haley then ever. Last season this team did not often look as good as they have now. And this is only preseason. I no preseason does not mean much but just the fact that the past preseasons have looked so bad this is a huge step forward IMO.

Postives.
    The defense. The defense a year ago gave up tons of yards on the ground and could not get pressure on the qb to save there own lifes. They looked much better on both accounts. Pressure still needs to get more but it's a far step forward on the defensive side of the ball.

The runing game. It looks really good. With Jones Charles and Mccluster I don't think that there is any question that this is going to be an offense that is based on the running game.

The return game. Last year this was a week point. Outside a few nice returns by Charles the Chiefs started often in the shadow of there own goal line most the time.

Negtives
    The passing game needs work. It is by far the weak point of the offense. I hope then when in the real season the running game opens things up for them more but the passing game is in real need of work.

The late defense. Blew a game that the Chiefs should have won against Philly in the last moments. They have to play better in the last moments of the game.

I think this team can make a run at the playoffs with us playing the weak NFC WEST.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    We finally are gonna get some special teams play this year but the run defense has not looked very good at all. By far a bigger concern than the QB.
    I agree the D front seven have me to most concerned. Somebody besides Hali needs to step up (hopefully Dorsey and Jackson) or teams will key on Hali and we could be in for a long season. The stand against the Packers last night was encouraging, but let's see them do it when the 1st team is out there in the 4th quarter.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

I hope the Chiefs don't have to draft a QB next year with the 1st pick. The Chiefs success when it comes to drafting QB's has been dreadful. Trust me, Chiefs fans need to hope for Cassel to have a good season in 2010 and cement his place as the Chiefs QB for the long term. One thing that will help Cassel is to keep Barry Richardson as the starting RT, as he has given Cassel good pass protection -- better than O'Cal or Albert have.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I hope the Chiefs don't have to draft a QB next year with the 1st pick. The Chiefs success when it comes to drafting QB's has been dreadful. Trust me, Chiefs fans need to hope for Cassel to have a good season in 2010 and cement his place as the Chiefs QB for the long term. One thing that will help Cassel is to keep Barry Richardson as the starting RT, as he has given Cassel good pass protection -- better than O'Cal or Albert have.
    Here's a fun stat. Who was the last QB the Chiefs drafted that started a game and won a game for them?

ANSWER: Todd Blackledge. December 13, 1987 versus the Chargers.

I also hope that Cassel is the QB in KC for a long time to come. But if we do have to end up drafting a QB I don't think that the past means anything. This would be the first QB under the new GM. He does not have a bad record when it comes to drafting QBs. I think if we do have to pick a QB in the next draft that we have a much higher chance of getting it right.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I also hope that Cassel is the QB in KC for a long time to come. But if we do have to end up drafting a QB I don't think that the past means anything. This would be the first QB under the new GM. He does not have a bad record when it comes to drafting QBs. I think if we do have to pick a QB in the next draft that we have a much higher chance of getting it right.
    Unfortunately, sometimes the past does mean something & sometimes you can't fight history. Doesn't matter what the GM did elsewhere. Not one single QB that the Chiefs have ever drafted -- except for Mike Livingston -- has had any remote success. And even Livingston's success was very limited as the Chiefs won very few games when he became the starting QB after Len Dawson retired.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 09-03-2010 at 02:04 PM.

much happier w/what i saw this year than last. like everyone i am a little disapointed in our QB so far, but the D looks much better, however both offense and defense have not played w/the whole playbook or game planned against the other team.........nor have they against us!!! just gotta wait till the real season starts, then we will see the rear Matt Cassel and the rear CHIEFS.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    That's just it. How many teams without a top 10 or 15 QB made the playoffs last season?

One. And they had the best defense in the NFL.

It's possible, but the odds are heavily against you to make the playoffs without a very good QB.
    If we are seriously talking about making the play offs this year, Why would you be complaining about Cassel.

I certainly don't think this is a play off team. They may make the play-off but it will be because of a weak schedule and would most likely be one and done....

Given the talent around him he was good enough to win 10 games and did that coming off the bench after sitting on it since high school.

Just go back to the Home opener three years ago, and remember this stupid back up come back and beat the Chiefs. Do you remember the 3rd and long on the one yard line where the Chiefs all out blitz and he threaded the needle on a pass killing all momentum the Chiefs had.

much better pre-season dispite the lack of play by Cassell. The run D is much better but our secondary looks bad at times. The middle of our secondary is still getting picked apart like they did all last year.
    We need to keep with the pressure when we brind 3 or 4 we get picked apart when we bring 5-6 we get pressure..

Unfortunately, sometimes the past does mean something & sometimes you can't fight history. Doesn't matter what the GM did elsewhere. Not one single QB that the Chiefs have ever drafted -- except for Mike Livingston -- has had any remote success. And even Livingston's success was very limited as the Chiefs won very few games when he became the starting QB after Len Dawson retired.

I have to disagree with you there. What a gm did elsewhere is not everything but It does matter because it's his history. If you had to chose a guy to draft a qb would you pick CP or SP? I would go with SP why because he has a better track record.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I have to disagree with you there. What a gm did elsewhere is not everything but It does matter because it's his history. If you had to chose a guy to draft a qb would you pick CP or SP? I would go with SP why because he has a better track record.
    That's my point -- it doesn't matter who the GM has been through Chiefs history. Even Don Klosterman didn't have success in the early 60's with the Chiefs drafting a QB & his track record spanning over 2 decades with Chiefs, Oilers, Colts & Rams is unmatched by CP or SP when it came to drafting and managing player personell.

If the Chiefs want another QB, then they'd be better served to trade for Jimmy Clausen as opposed to drafting one, as at least Clausen has experience with Charlie Weis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast