Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Well Done D.J.

Default Well Done D.J.

He is starting. So much for all the "Haley is an a**hole...hates Derrick Johnson, his ego gets in the way of talent" talk. D.J. had an outstanding camp. YES I know D. Williams had more sacks in the preseason than any other Chief, and may have earned the starting spot, but D.J. endured sitting on the bench all of last season, he had TWO interceptions for TDs against Denver in the season finale last year, and he has done EVERYTHING that the coaches asked of him this presason, so I say, "congrats, you earned this." I know Williams is upset, but if Haley had benched Derrick again this year, I was going to be a little worried about the logic of how the coaching staff is doing things. I mean, the guy is a GAMER. Some guys sluff in practice but come game time they are studs, (Derrick Thomas) and I GET that Haley wants "the same guy day in and day out" but the reality is, some guys step up when the pressure is on. I am so happy DJ gets his chance.
    Last edited by KCINNYC; 09-07-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Resident Ambassador!

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    I have watched the entire preseason many times already. ANd what I noticed is that DJ got more playing time, and was out of position more times than not. He played 60 min in the first 2 games and he managed toy wrap up the ball carrier twice. Only twice. Do you know why? Because he spent most of his time stuck on blockers, or he was lost and out of position.

And here you are telling me not to get excited about preseason play against backups, but your raving about how good DJ looked against 2nd and 3rd stringers? Thats not right...

Haley was not an idiot when he sat DJ last year. We got more out of him last year than we have seen from him the previous 5. Hes a great passing down linebacker, because of his coverage skills, but hes a liability against the run, and if you dont think so than I dont know who you were watching last year...While everyone remembers how great his 2 picks for TDs were against Denver last year, nobody brings up the fact that he missed 6 tackles in that game. 6!

I guess we will see if he is more consistent than he has been the past 5 years, but I doubt it.
    The DJ I watched was against the Tampa Starters and Green Bay starters, minus Rodgers.

I am not saying he was oustanding against the Run. He was out of place, but just as much as Williams.

DJ last year sucked. You can read all of my off season post and some pre-season post defending Haley for sitting DJ. I still support that. DJ may still suck, fact of the matter, between him and Williams, DJ is probably doing things better that matters the most to the team right now.

it could also be the fact that maybe the Chiefs think San Diego will plan to throw more instead of run, and just maybe next week against Cleveland, they start Williams against a team without a passing game.

i really see Crennel operating the front 7 like our RB situation... I see one package for run downs, and a few other packages for blitzes and obvious passing downs, and also 3rd down situations.

Gilberry/Jackson, Dorsey/Magee, Studebaker/Vrabel, Demorrio/DJ/Belecher and maybe even more, should all see consistent snaps. We really dont have a starting 11 like most teams. Crennel i believe is trying to squeeze every ounce of talent he has on defense, using all players on the defensive roster for some purpose...

i dont think most teams operate like that. Most teams want their starting 11 in there for as many snaps as they can take, am i wrong?
    J5, Cassel, Tamba, Brandon Flowers, all going pro bowl in 2010, Chiefs go 9-7, make Wild Card playoffs...

The one thing that got Williams so much attention was the three sacks. Two of which he rushed from his ILB position, and was unblocked on both.

One would credit those sacks to defensive play-calling, or failures on the offense.

Honestly, any player would have been able to make those sacks. There is no skill involved in running unchallenged. Those are really Crennel sacks in my opinion.

And the third of his sacks came while he was playing OLB in place of Tamba Hali.

Johnson, on the other hand, was in on alot of plays.

From tipping passes, to being all over a reciever and stopping him short of a first-down, to bring up fourth-down.

Not to say that Johnson was brilliant. But he did perform well, while Williams was nowhere to be found while at ILB, aside from the two freebies.

But if Johnson slacks, the least bit, Williams will be right there to take over.

I wouldnt play too much into sacks that williams got over DJ. DJ was in at different times in different packages were he wasnt rushing the passer a bunch.

Good job DJ, now lay someone out.

I hope he has a monster year this season starting against the Chargers this coming Monday! Earn that money with a big year DJ!

Can't wait to see our LB's against the Chargers on Monday Night!!! Go Chiefs!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123