Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Well Done D.J.

Default Well Done D.J.

He is starting. So much for all the "Haley is an a**hole...hates Derrick Johnson, his ego gets in the way of talent" talk. D.J. had an outstanding camp. YES I know D. Williams had more sacks in the preseason than any other Chief, and may have earned the starting spot, but D.J. endured sitting on the bench all of last season, he had TWO interceptions for TDs against Denver in the season finale last year, and he has done EVERYTHING that the coaches asked of him this presason, so I say, "congrats, you earned this." I know Williams is upset, but if Haley had benched Derrick again this year, I was going to be a little worried about the logic of how the coaching staff is doing things. I mean, the guy is a GAMER. Some guys sluff in practice but come game time they are studs, (Derrick Thomas) and I GET that Haley wants "the same guy day in and day out" but the reality is, some guys step up when the pressure is on. I am so happy DJ gets his chance.
    Last edited by KCINNYC; 09-07-2010 at 09:44 PM.
    Resident Ambassador!

I think that Williams has shown why he was the starter a year ago. He is a good soild player. I think he will see lots of time on the field still this season. But it is good that DJ is back in the lineup. I think that both players are going to have good years

Quote Originally Posted by KCINNYC View Post
    He is starting. So much for all the "Haley is an a**hole...hates Derrick Johnson, his ego gets in the way of talent" talk. D.J. had an outstanding camp. YES I know D. Williams had more sacks in the preseason than any other Chief, and may have earned the starting spot, but D.J. endured sitting on the bench all of last season, he had TWO interceptions for TDs against Denver in the season finale last year, and he has done EVERYTHING that the coaches asked of him this presason, so I say, "congrats, you earned this." I know Williams is upset, but if Haley had benched Derrick again this year, I was going to be a little worried about the logic of how the coaching staff is doing things. I mean, the guy is a GAMER. Some guys sluff in practice but come game time they are studs, (Derrick Thomas) and I GET that Haley wants "the same guy day in and day out" but the reality is, some guys step up when the pressure is on. I am so happy DJ gets his chance.
    REP!!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

let's not forget he will be looking for a contract next year..........that may have given him a different outlook on things. Hopefully he has a good year, but if he does he will be expensive to keep.

DJ by far exceeded Williams in pass coverage. They were about equal in run stops, but Willams did better at pass rushing. I think you will see Williams and DJ together on the field in passing situations.

DJ is far and away the most talented inside linebacker we have, and I'm glad to see that he has earned a starting job.

He's also far and away the least consistent we have, unfortunately. So hopefully he's got that worked out. If so, he's going to have a MONSTER year. The last time we saw him in a meaningful game he returned two interceptions for touchdowns, so it's hard not to be excited to see him on the field more this year.

I dont get it. DJ was nowhere to be seen in the preseaon, even with all the playing time he got. I thought Demarrio Williams outplayed him easily, and from multiple positions on the field. I love his athleticism, but he is still by far the worst linebacker we have against the run. This guy gets stuck on his blocks and stays there.

As someone mentioned above, his strength is pass coverage, so hopefully we can leave him in coverage while Belcher attacks the los.
    Last edited by MDChiefs!; 09-08-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Starter means little...This is a true rotation spot in the lineup. DJ will probably see more action on early downs and Demorrio will be in for the passing downs.

DJ used to be the least consistent player we had.

DJ used to be a "gamer."

He earned his starting job by being consistent. haley didn't relent and just give him the job. DJ actually did what the coaches were asking (for once) and was rewarded with the starting job.

Demorrio might end up with his hand on the ground rushing the passer sometimes.

By the way, y'all - this is the kind of problem we wanted - having to decide between two good players.

I still would like to have seen DJ slide over to that "thumper" position, but he just isn't physical enough to play it.

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    I dont get it. DJ was nowhere to be seen in the preseaon, even with all the playing time he got. I thought Demarrio Williams outplayed him easily, and from multiple positions on the field. I love his athleticism, but he is still by far the worst linebacker we have against the run. This guy gets stuck on his blocks and stays there.

As someone mentioned above, his strength is pass coverage, so hopefully we can leave him in coverage while Belcher attacks the los.
    You need to watch the pre-season again, and stop looking for the sacks or big stop for no gain...You may have noticed D. Williams and that was only because he was excited about his performance, but if you see what he was excited about, it wasn't really good. Stops for 4 yards against back ups isn't something to get pumped up if you ask me.

The run support by DJ and Williams was equal in my opinion. They never did great, but didn't do bad either.

However, I dare you find Williams defending a pass or making a tackle on a receiver just as he caught it. DJ made some very nice plays on screen passes or dump offs to the TE/RB when the team blitzed. Dj's coverage was outstanding against the Packers and I believe that is the deciding factor in who starts.

Now, they did start doing other things with Williams to help him rush the passer. I strongly believe, Crennel is trying to find ways to get both of them on the field as much as possible, even at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast