Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Why NFL could close in 2011

Default Why NFL could close in 2011

Anyone read this article on Yahoo this morning?
    Thoughts...

Yahoo! Sports - Sports News, Scores, Rumors, Fantasy Games, and more
    slug=ms-laborquestions090810
    **ChiefsChick**

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Even if that is true lets cut that in half lets even go all the way down to 350,000$ a year. That is still a LOT of money. Even the players that only last 3 years that is over 1 million dollars. Thats A LOT OF money. Compared to the owners it's not but what % of the pouplation is makeing what the owners are. In the grand scheme of things the players are well off. They have room to give just as the owners do.
    Consider the fact that I have been working for over 20 years, and I only JUST made $1 million dollars, TOTAL. Some people work their entire LIVES and never make $1 million dollars.

Think about it, median salary in the US is 43K per year, it will take over 23 years to make a million at that rate.

In my entire lifetime I MIGHT make $1.75 million dollars. Just about every player in the NFL can make that in 2 - 3 years, just for playing a game. I can almost lay ten to one that I have taken a worse beating in my 20 years on the job, and I can guarantee there are guys that are in much more dangerous jobs that don't make what these guys make.

So I really don't want to hear about how hard these guys have it and how hard their lives are, and what their life expectency is. Most people in this country would take 8 years to make what the league minimum is for a rookie right out of college.

Put that in perspective a moment before we start talking about how they need to make more money.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Even if that is true lets cut that in half lets even go all the way down to 350,000$ a year. That is still a LOT of money. Even the players that only last 3 years that is over 1 million dollars. Thats A LOT OF money. Compared to the owners it's not but what % of the pouplation is makeing what the owners are. In the grand scheme of things the players are well off. They have room to give just as the owners do.
    I agree that all NFL players do pretty well on pay.

The point is that the players were not making any demands.

The owners opted out of the last contract. And it is the owners who are threatening a lockout.

How do we blame the players for the actions of the owners?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

The owners opted out of the last contract. And it is the owners who are threatening a lockout.

Because the players just like the owners are looking to gain more. The players can give in on some things just like the owners. BOTH sides are refuseing to give in. Yes the owners are threating to lockout the players but the players are threating to decertify union so the owners can't lock them out.N.F.L. Players Union Begins Voting on Decertification - NYTimes.com
    That move is hardly saying lets meet half way.

Both sides are refuseing to give an inch. Yes the owners opted out but the players agreed to give them that option and the owners are takeing it. And this would have happend as soon as the deal ended. All the owners opting out did was make it happen sooner rather then later.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

No one opted out of a contract. The contract is over. It is time to negotiate a new one.

The owners are asking for a couple of things, rookie salary caps for one. The players are obviously against that since so much of their current plan depends on those salaries continuing to increase.

For instance, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady initiated hold outs the minute Bradford got his major contract. The owners are trying to get this under control a little bit.

It is a negotiation that has to take place, the owners will excercise their leverage which is a lockout just the same as the players can initiate a strike.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Consider the fact that I have been working for over 20 years, and I only JUST made $1 million dollars, TOTAL. Some people work their entire LIVES and never make $1 million dollars.

Think about it, median salary in the US is 43K per year, it will take over 23 years to make a million at that rate.

In my entire lifetime I MIGHT make $1.75 million dollars. Just about every player in the NFL can make that in 2 - 3 years, just for playing a game. I can almost lay ten to one that I have taken a worse beating in my 20 years on the job, and I can guarantee there are guys that are in much more dangerous jobs that don't make what these guys make.

So I really don't want to hear about how hard these guys have it and how hard their lives are, and what their life expectency is. Most people in this country would take 8 years to make what the league minimum is for a rookie right out of college.

Put that in perspective a moment before we start talking about how they need to make more money.
    Those are some very good points, and I tend to agree, but I still feel badly for those players like Otis...before the million dollar paychecks, pensions, healthcare, etc.. I realize however, that this discussion doesn't pertain to those players, rather those of today. The greed is on both sides. I don't think many of the NFL owners are self made, nor do they face risks the players do with injury, taking a beating, etc....so the players do have that much on their side of the greed.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 11-24-2010 at 07:34 PM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Hey Guys -
    Just wanted to show you the letter that we will be sending the owners along with the petition signatures. As you can tell, a lockout would effect an enormous amount of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    No one opted out of a contract. The contract is over. It is time to negotiate a new one.

The owners are asking for a couple of things, rookie salary caps for one. The players are obviously against that since so much of their current plan depends on those salaries continuing to increase.

For instance, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady initiated hold outs the minute Bradford got his major contract. The owners are trying to get this under control a little bit.

It is a negotiation that has to take place, the owners will excercise their leverage which is a lockout just the same as the players can initiate a strike.
    Actually the owners did opt out of the contract. The current contract had three years remaining.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 11-28-2010 at 09:53 PM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

This is the worst time for a lockout. The Chiefs are on the rise and if there is a lockout....****
    It starts with the Offensive line

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    This is the worst time for a lockout. The Chiefs are on the rise and if there is a lockout....****
    DITTO! DITTO! DITTO!
    **ChiefsChick**

Just wanted to give you guys a heads up that the NFLPA will be conducting a #LETUSPLAY day, where among other things, you can ask players questions via Twitter & Facebook.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast