Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Why NFL could close in 2011

Default Why NFL could close in 2011

Anyone read this article on Yahoo this morning?
    Thoughts...

Yahoo! Sports - Sports News, Scores, Rumors, Fantasy Games, and more
    slug=ms-laborquestions090810
    **ChiefsChick**

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Sorry guys, the players are as greedy as the owners are.

You know what is funny about people in general. You all want to complain about the price of a ticket, complaining that these owners are ripping off the fans, ripping off the players, yet who do you think it is that spends millions to put on this game every Sunday? Do you think the NFL magically comes up with the money to put these games together? Who pays the parking attendents? Security guards? Who pays the electricity for the stadium? In many cases, who paid to build the darn stadium to begin with.

Then add in that the players want their salaries as well. Is there room for a raise? You tell me? Judging by attendance at Arrowhead I would say that there is no room for a ticket price raise. So where does the extra money come from?

I really wonder, what is the liability insurance cost for one Sunday at Arrowhead to cover 70,000 screaming fans who at any point could slip on a spilt beer and break their necks? How about coverage for if one of the players on the field gets angry and beats up a person in the stands?

The players could probably get more money, but those costs are going to ultimately come from you and me in increased ticket sales and increased merchandising.

I have a hard time siding with anyone, all of these people make more money than I do, so if I let me anger for the greedy taint my vision, then I would say all of these people are out of their minds.
    A great big THIS!

You know what is funny about people in general. You all want to complain about the price of a ticket, complaining that these owners are ripping off the fans, ripping off the players, yet who do you think it is that spends millions to put on this game every Sunday? Do you think the NFL magically comes up with the money to put these games together? Who pays the parking attendents? Security guards? Who pays the electricity for the stadium? In many cases, who paid to build the darn stadium to begin with.

Then add in that the players want their salaries as well. Is there room for a raise? You tell me? Judging by attendance at Arrowhead I would say that there is no room for a ticket price raise. So where does the extra money come from?

I really wonder, what is the liability insurance cost for one Sunday at Arrowhead to cover 70,000 screaming fans who at any point could slip on a spilt beer and break their necks? How about coverage for if one of the players on the field gets angry and beats up a person in the stands?

The players could probably get more money, but those costs are going to ultimately come from you and me in increased ticket sales and increased merchandising.

I have a hard time siding with anyone, all of these people make more money than I do, so if I let me anger for the greedy taint my vision, then I would say all of these people are out of their minds.
    ha ha ...you said taint!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    ha ha ...you said taint!!
    BUAHAHAHAH by design!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

100% agree

I don't care who gets what but the owners and players both owe it to the fans to get this worked out. After all it is the fans who go to the games that pay both the owners and palyers.

Im not sure where you guys are getting all your number from but in 2009 the average NFL salary was $770 000. You say the average career last 3 years...that makes $2 310 000. I find it hard to believe that 80% of the league is making the league minimum. While I dont agree with the work stoppage, everyone should shoulder their share of the blame. Injuries etc...part of the inherent risk of your chosen line of work.
    The fact is, just like everything else, the small top percentage of players make the majority of that money, leaving the majority of players earning much less than your $770,000 estimate.

But there is nothing that can be said here.

You are going to base it all off of Payton Manning's pay either way.

Not that what the players earn really has anything to do with it.

You overpay for the product, (The players) then want to complain that they are overpaid.

The league/owners set all prices. So, if you feel you are overpaying, then who is to blame?

Actually, it's you. Noone is forcing you to overpay. You are choosing to.

Complaining about the product, as well as the price, while continuing to buy is borderline lunacy, since it is a luxury product anyway. Noone needs this product.

But this whole ordeal is, in no way, about players trying to get more money.

The owners opted out of an agreement.

The owners are threatening a lockout.

But damn those evil players for it all, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The fact is, just like everything else, the small top percentage of players make the majority of that money, leaving the majority of players earning much less than your $770,000 estimate.

You overpay for the product, (The players) then want to complain that they are overpaid.

The league/owners set all prices. So, if you feel you are overpaying, then who is to blame?

Complaining about the product, as well as the price, while continuing to buy is borderline lunacy, since it is a luxury product anyway. Noone needs this product.

I understand your hatredd of "the man" but to say players have no responsibility for the price increases is ridiculous. You say a small percentage make over $770 000 and that is limited to players like Peyton Manning? How about the multi million dollar contracts being signed every season by 1st round picks. For every Peyton Manning, there is a kicker on the other end of the spectrum. I think $770 000 a year is pretty accurate estimate of what the average player makes. Im not complaining about the product, but when there is a fu*k up in getting that product out to the market, then I blame the whole company. Not just the owner.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Well, in many ways I agree with you, one exception noted however..."Noone needs this product."..............I do. :)

We spend billions each year for physical healthcare, to live longer and healthier physically. We 'need' good physical health, without it we eventually die sooner than we're told we should.

Well, emotional well being is vital to overall physical well being. Lack of good emotional health risks physical health, will take it's toll on our physical health overall, including lowering immune system. It's a proven scientific fact that emotional well being is a vital positive factor to battling any serious illness or health issue. It's also a proven fact that the common stresses endured living in today's complicated society can kill us if our stress levels become too high.

The majority of people overlook emotional health being as important as physical health. Public awareness is lacking by comparison to that of preventative care related to our physical health. We have many various forms of emotional R & R, breaks or escapes to relieve stress...vacations, hobbies, etc.. For most their emotional R & R relates to an interest or passion.

The Chiefs games are an emotional fun escape, day vacations, R & R I have a passion for & interest in. The Chiefs are a major source of preventative emotional healthcare. Seriously, I don't know that I would've survived the most stressful and emotionally painful period of my life, the last two years, without having Chiefs & Kid Rock related events as an emotional escape on occasion from the cruel & stressful realities of life.

I hope this makes sense, lol.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Wow, well ordinarily we agree on a lot of things, but really, a small amount of searching would point you to this page:

NFL Player Salaries

[qoute]The average NFL player salary for the year 2009 was around US $770,000. The average base salary of an NFL player in 2009 was around US $990,000. The average NFL player signing bonus salary for all players in 2009 was approximately US $1.3 million.[/quote]

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Even if that is true lets cut that in half lets even go all the way down to 350,000$ a year. That is still a LOT of money. Even the players that only last 3 years that is over 1 million dollars. Thats A LOT OF money. Compared to the owners it's not but what % of the pouplation is makeing what the owners are. In the grand scheme of things the players are well off. They have room to give just as the owners do.

I understand your hatredd of "the man" but to say players have no responsibility for the price increases is ridiculous. You say a small percentage make over $770 000 and that is limited to players like Peyton Manning? How about the multi million dollar contracts being signed every season by 1st round picks.

Yep. They too, balloon that number.

Still a minority, collecting the majority of the money.

For every Peyton Manning, there is a kicker on the other end of the spectrum.

Yep. That's where the average player tends to be on the pay-scale. Right with that kicker.

I think $770 000 a year is pretty accurate estimate of what the average player makes.

Too bad it isn't. 5 guys made a million dollars, 95 guys made one dollar. The average is $10,000. But the average guy still made one dollar.

Im not complaining about the product, but when there is a fu*k up in getting that product out to the market, then I blame the whole company. Not just the owner.
    The owners voided the agreed upon contract.

Yet you blame "the whole company".

What part of that line of thinking isn't ridiculous?

Do you blame the janitor at the grocery store if the store runs out of your brand of potato chips too?

Maybe we should be discussing how much that janitor gets paid. It is completely irrelevant to the potato chips issue too, so why not?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast