Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Holy crap! I got an idea! ow..that hurt...

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grain Valley, MO
    Posts
    2,425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default Holy crap! I got an idea! ow..that hurt...


    0 Not allowed!
    I really do think we are showing some potential of coming together offensively. Although to do so would require us to find a new identity for our offense, especially earlier in games. The word for this enigmatic new persona is...(drum roll please)...passing. That's right, we need to sprinkle the pass into situations that seem less than ideal for it in order to try and catch the defense out of position. If we do this, it will open up the possibility for big plays. If we pass early, we still have the rest of the game to overcome any potential mistakes. If we score early, we can sit on a lead, pound LJ, and play conservative when it matters most-- the fourth quarter. Much like Herman Edwards wants to do with his gameplan.

    However, Herm seems to have this backwards, somehow. Last week, I think almost any team in the league could have beat us. Not very many defenses in the NFL are so poor that they aren't going to stop your first x amount of possesions when they know exactly what you are doing. Run, run, and pass when it's forced on you. That is the offensive gameplan of the Chiefs right now and it's anemic.

    Say you are Herm, and you are playing a pro defense that knows what you are doing and you keep doing it until they stop you enough times that they either put together a drive or get some special teams help for a score. Now, you have spotted them points. Now you are playing catch up. If enough clock runs or more points are scored, eventually you will have to pass. You may find enough success late in games to catch up and score. Though with how the Chiefs' offense has performed so far this season, it's safe to say that this situation is less than ideal.

    However, if we just sprinkle in some passing and a few trick plays early, while the score is still tied, we may catch the defense on their heels. Especially since EVERYBODY KNOWS the Chiefs are going to run. If we hit a home run and score early, we won't have try and score all our points down the stretch while playing from behind. Also, if we pass early, we can stretch the field and keep the defense honest. Which will help the running game later when you really want to eat clock and play conservative if you have a lead.

    I think it would certainly be possible for the Chiefs to be succesful with the pass early in the game. Bowe is playing well, Tony G is the best, and every team we play will be fixated on LJ and the run because they know that's what's coming. It seems Herm Edwards and Mike Solari don't quite get the concept of keeping your opponent off-balance and it's something they both need to learn quickly or it will be a long season for the Chiefs and the crowd.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

  2. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    900
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I really do think we are showing some potential of coming together offensively. Although to do so would require us to find a new identity for our offense, especially earlier in games. The word for this enigmatic new persona is...(drum roll please)...passing. That's right, we need to sprinkle the pass into situations that seem less than ideal for it in order to try and catch the defense out of position. If we do this, it will open up the possibility for big plays. If we pass early, we still have the rest of the game to overcome any potential mistakes. If we score early, we can sit on a lead, pound LJ, and play conservative when it matters most-- the fourth quarter. Much like Herman Edwards wants to do with his gameplan.

    However, Herm seems to have this backwards, somehow. Last week, I think almost any team in the league could have beat us. Not very many defenses in the NFL are so poor that they aren't going to stop your first x amount of possesions when they know exactly what you are doing. Run, run, and pass when it's forced on you. That is the offensive gameplan of the Chiefs right now and it's anemic.

    Say you are Herm, and you are playing a pro defense that knows what you are doing and you keep doing it until they stop you enough times that they either put together a drive or get some special teams help for a score. Now, you have spotted them points. Now you are playing catch up. If enough clock runs or more points are scored, eventually you will have to pass. You may find enough success late in games to catch up and score. Though with how the Chiefs' offense has performed so far this season, it's safe to say that this situation is less than ideal.

    However, if we just sprinkle in some passing and a few trick plays early, while the score is still tied, we may catch the defense on their heels. Especially since EVERYBODY KNOWS the Chiefs are going to run. If we hit a home run and score early, we won't have try and score all our points down the stretch while playing from behind. Also, if we pass early, we can stretch the field and keep the defense honest. Which will help the running game later when you really want to eat clock and play conservative if you have a lead.

    I think it would certainly be possible for the Chiefs to be succesful with the pass early in the game. Bowe is playing well, Tony G is the best, and every team we play will be fixated on LJ and the run because they know that's what's coming. It seems Herm Edwards and Mike Solari don't quite get the concept of keeping your opponent off-balance and it's something they both need to learn quickly or it will be a long season for the Chiefs and the crowd.

    i am reading this wondering if you dont realize that EVERYONE KNOWS THIS except for the coach who was hired on because of the color of his skin. Cheers to our liberal society.

  3. #3
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Wow...M0eF0e...you okay? Very nice post...rep added.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  4. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 421

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    I think it would certainly be possible for the Chiefs to be succesful with the pass early in the game. Bowe is playing well, Tony G is the best, and every team we play will be fixated on LJ and the run because they know that's what's coming. It seems Herm Edwards and Mike Solari don't quite get the concept of keeping your opponent off-balance and it's something they both need to learn quickly or it will be a long season for the Chiefs and the crowd.
    I'll not be holding my breath anytime soon.


  5. #5
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Read the name dumbass!!
    Posts
    13,330
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 23
    Given: 26

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    i am reading this wondering if you dont realize that EVERYONE KNOWS THIS except for the coach who was hired on because of the color of his skin. Cheers to our liberal society.
    I thought you said before that u werent racist??
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

  6. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 421

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    I thought you said before that u werent racist??
    No; I think he said he was racist. But I could be mistaken.


  7. #7
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grain Valley, MO
    Posts
    2,425
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by timsatt1 View Post
    i am reading this wondering if you dont realize that EVERYONE KNOWS THIS except for the coach who was hired on because of the color of his skin. Cheers to our liberal society.
    You would be surprised at how many people would say "well we need to establish the run" in defense of the coaching staff and play-calling for this team right now. While it is important fundamentally to do so, it is also just as important to exploit the enemy's weakness. Since EVERYONE KNOWS that we are going to run, that gives us something to take advantage of. We can't go overboard, by any means, with the passing or soon that will be lost. I guess the key word is balance. The run is important but the pass and how it is used is equally important. To not even ATTEMPT to strike first is inexcuseable to the point that it needs to be evaluated if this organization actually cares about winning or is just ripping off the fans.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

  8. #8
    Member Since
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    4,841
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    He did, and what his opinions of gender, race, etc. have to do with liberal society I dont' know.

    TimSAT=:sarek:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

    Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

  9. #9
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Well said, that's what has always gotten me frustrated about how our offense starts out. Run, run, pass every single drive. How many times does he have to try it and fail before he gets it? It took us falling behind 17-0 to the Bears for him to open up the play book and show off the offense a little, and guess what? 4 PLAY DRIVE TO THE END ZONE! They looked fantastic on that drive, and it's what I've been dying for all along. Why is it so hard for Herm to do that just a tad bit more often? I mean, if it worked on the BEARS, you think it could work against almost anyone provided good execution, right? Come on Herm! Stop babying the offense, take off the training wheels, and let them go at it.

  10. #10
    Member Since
    Sep 2005
    Location
    SE Kansas
    Posts
    27,932
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 236
    Given: 421

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    You would be surprised at how many people would say "well we need to establish the run" in defense of the coaching staff and play-calling for this team right now. While it is important fundamentally to do so, it is also just as important to exploit the enemy's weakness. Since EVERYONE KNOWS that we are going to run, that gives us something to take advantage of. We can't go overboard, by any means, with the passing or soon that will be lost. I guess the key word is balance. The run is important but the pass and how it is used is equally important. To not even ATTEMPT to strike first is inexcuseable to the point that it needs to be evaluated if this organization actually cares about winning or is just ripping off the fans.
    Agreed!


Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •