Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs sticking with Huard over Croyle as starting quarterback

Default Chiefs sticking with Huard over Croyle as starting quarterback

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chi...ry/279533.html

Chiefs sticking with Huard over Croyle as starting quarterback

By ADAM TEICHER
    The Kansas City Star

Brodie Croyle will wait for another day to become the Chiefs’ starting quarterback.

Coach Herm Edwards said Monday he would stay with Damon Huard as the starter for Sunday’s game against Minnesota at Arrowhead Stadium.

“He’s the starting quarterback,” Edwards said. “He hasn’t done anything to lose his job. The offense is not just one guy. Sometimes we look at the quarterback position and say it’s the quarterback. I don’t put it all on his play. It’s on everybody.

“We’re going with the same guys. We’ve played two games thus far. Both have been on the road, and now we’re coming home. I think our crowd will give a boost to this team and bring a lot of energy. We’ve got to help, though, and do some good things on offense.”
    Croyle’s time still might not be far off. That Edwards wouldn’t announce a starter immediately after Sunday’s 20-10 loss in Chicago would seem to indicate he was thinking about making a change to revive a floundering offense.

Croyle came on in relief of Huard late in Sunday’s game and hit all four of his passes, including a 34-yarder to Jeff Webb. The Chiefs failed to score when Michael Bennett fumbled, but the way Croyle played certainly didn’t hurt his cause.

“If I had been zero for four instead of four for four, I definitely wouldn’t feel as good about myself as I do now,” Croyle said. “I don’t think the coaches would feel as confident in me, or my teammates. You can only get so much momentum in practice. You really have to build that in the games.

“(The Chicago game) was good because it might have gotten people confident in what I can do and believing in me once I get on the field. But take it for what it’s worth. It was one drive and it was the 2-minute drill.”
    The pass to Webb was a brilliant throw, but the Chiefs were even more encouraged by the pass to Bennett that he eventually fumbled. Croyle thought about forcing a pass to Tony Gonzalez, a habit that landed him in trouble during the preseason.

Croyle instead took the safety valve to Bennett, who gained 10 yards before fumbling.

It may have been one play and one decision, or perhaps it’s evidence of Croyle’s growth.

“Three weeks ago, I don’t think I would have hit two check-downs (in Chicago),” Croyle said. “On one of those plays, I could have forced the ball to Tony. But I took the shorter pass.

“It’s a fine line. You want to go out there and make plays and spark things. That’s when bad things can happen. In the preseason, when we weren’t moving the ball, I felt I needed to go out there and make a big play. That’s when bad plays happened and turnovers happened. That turned a bad situation into a worse situation.”

Croyle’s insistence on forcing passes during the preseason got him into trouble and left Edwards no choice but to start the season with Huard. From all appearances in Chicago, Croyle made good use of the three weeks since Huard was chosen the starter.
    “There’s only so much that can change in three weeks, but preseason was a great learning experience for me,” Croyle said. “As bad as it was, I can’t tell you how much I learned. In college, you can force those balls and possibly hit them. Up here, you have to take what they give you. That makes you yardage, anyway.

“I don’t know if you can ever say losing a job was good for you, but obviously I wasn’t ready at that point in time. It’s been different preparing as the backup this year than it was last year. Last year I wasn’t going to play unless we got to the last-case scenario. Now I’ve had to prepare like I was going to start because it could happen at any time.”

Croyle took just six snaps against the Bears, including a running play and a Chicago penalty when Croyle was dragged down by his face mask.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at those plays as insignificant. They certainly won’t when Croyle becomes the starter, whenever that might be.

“Those weren’t wasted plays or meaningless plays,” guard Brian Waters said. “We were still in the game at that point. We still could have won. The Bears still had their starters in there. He didn’t panic. He got hit on the first play but he bounced back to make some good decisions and put some passes in good places.”
    Everything happens for a reason.

hope it works out.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    hope it works out.
    You and me both bud!

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

what a waist
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by wolfpack View Post
    what a waist
    That is Carls middle name.

“If I had been zero for four instead of four for four, I definitely wouldn’t feel as good about myself as I do now,” Croyle said. “I don’t think the coaches would feel as confident in me, or my teammates. You can only get so much momentum in practice. You really have to build that in the games.

“(The Chicago game) was good because it might have gotten people confident in what I can do and believing in me once I get on the field. But take it for what it’s worth. It was one drive and it was the 2-minute drill.”
    The pass to Webb was a brilliant throw, but the Chiefs were even more encouraged by the pass to Bennett that he eventually fumbled. Croyle thought about forcing a pass to Tony Gonzalez, a habit that landed him in trouble during the preseason.

Croyle instead took the safety valve to Bennett, who gained 10 yards before fumbling.

It may have been one play and one decision, or perhaps it’s evidence of Croyle’s growth.

“Three weeks ago, I don’t think I would have hit two check-downs (in Chicago),” Croyle said. “On one of those plays, I could have forced the ball to Tony. But I took the shorter pass.

“It’s a fine line. You want to go out there and make plays and spark things. That’s when bad things can happen. In the preseason, when we weren’t moving the ball, I felt I needed to go out there and make a big play. That’s when bad plays happened and turnovers happened. That turned a bad situation into a worse situation.”

Croyle’s insistence on forcing passes during the preseason got him into trouble and left Edwards no choice but to start the season with Huard. From all appearances in Chicago, Croyle made good use of the three weeks since Huard was chosen the starter.
    “There’s only so much that can change in three weeks, but preseason was a great learning experience for me,” Croyle said. “As bad as it was, I can’t tell you how much I learned. In college, you can force those balls and possibly hit them. Up here, you have to take what they give you. That makes you yardage, anyway.

“I don’t know if you can ever say losing a job was good for you, but obviously I wasn’t ready at that point in time. It’s been different preparing as the backup this year than it was last year. Last year I wasn’t going to play unless we got to the last-case scenario. Now I’ve had to prepare like I was going to start because it could happen at any time.”

Croyle took just six snaps against the Bears, including a running play and a Chicago penalty when Croyle was dragged down by his face mask.

The Chiefs aren’t looking at those plays as insignificant. They certainly won’t when Croyle becomes the starter, whenever that might be.

“Those weren’t wasted plays or meaningless plays,” guard Brian Waters said. “We were still in the game at that point. We still could have won. The Bears still had their starters in there. He didn’t panic. He got hit on the first play but he bounced back to make some good decisions and put some passes in good places.”

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

if haurd dosn`t produce by halftime,can him. put the kid in. i know its not cool to change QB`s in a game but this offense needs something. broidie may do it or maynot, but it might rattle haurd into becoming better.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

I am glad Brody sounds so mature.

WHEN we finally move on to him, he will have studied behind a pro bowl starter, as well as a Dan Marino backup.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

by the time we get to brody croyle, carl peterson will probably sign another washed up quarterback to take over the team...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post

by the time we get to brody croyle, carl peterson will probably sign another washed up quarterback to take over the team...
    I don't know. Trent didn't do such a bad job. Damon has his moments, but I just think he's meant to be a backup. I think we'll see Brodie start before the year is out. Let's just hope he's learned a thing or two on decision making.
    Everything happens for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by luv View Post
    I don't know. Trent didn't do such a bad job. Damon has his moments, but I just think he's meant to be a backup. I think we'll see Brodie start before the year is out. Let's just hope he's learned a thing or two on decision making.
    Trent did an absolutely fabulous job. After the concussion and loss of his O-line he never regained his confidence, or had the opportunity to make a comeback.

Another fine mess Herm caused. Who puts in a quarterback at the end of the season when they are basically back to before training camp shape, while everyone else on the field is deep into the season.

HERM is a moron.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast