Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Berry?

Default Thoughts on Berry?

I was wondering what the opinions are on Berry's play so far. I live out of the area so I didn't get to see the game yesterday. I know he F'd up on the 2 long tds so far this season and those are bad mistakes but I was wondering if he has done anything else of note so far. I did notice that he had 7 tackles which is a good sign of being involved.

Also wanted to note that Bonecrusher saved the game for Houston last night with a blacked FG kick.

He has made some mistakes what rookie doesn't but overall I think he has played well. I don't even think he alone is to blame for the long td yesterday. And he made a couple of plays yesterday as well. I was not one that thought it was best to draft him but from what I have seen I think that it is going to turn out to be a good thing that we did get him.

The more i see replays of the long TD yesterday i don't think it was his fault at all. On higher camera Views it looks like Kendrick Lewis was on a blitz from the back and with berry already being so close to the line looks like Carr was meant to be man on man and got beat. Looks like everyone was thinking run and when berry realized what was going on he bailed to try to help but was too late. Don't think it was his responsibility to be back there or he wouldn't have been so close to the line already. He was lined up before the snap only a yard or 2 behind the linebackers so i doubt he was supposed to be the deep help.

Wasn't happy that they drafted Berry at #5, but he's good player who has suffered from inexperience on a couple of plays. Gotta like his willingness to help out in run support and in the 2nd half against the Browns, he was flawless.

Two games is not enough time to quantify his contribution.

He has made some bad plays but he has made more good plays. Romeo will groom this guy into exactly what we need him to be in time.

Someone on here is going to say he hasn't earned his big check. Remember Berry is the one that told his agent to just get the deal done because he wants to be in camp.

He is a rookie, and still learning. As far as I am concerned, he is not the only one at fault for the blown coverage. Carr was there for the immediate coverage.

Lets not talk down on Berry or any player for that matter that doesn't need to be question on one or 2 plays.

I think he has a many great plays. He dropped a pick yesterday, I was so sad. But I have seen him be a fairly solid tackler for the most part and thats what anyteam needs. Your expectations are probably high, you can't expect a player to not make a mistake. Hell look at Tom Brady or Manning. They throw picks all the time.
    Last edited by honda522; 09-20-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

There is always a question on who was supposed to be covering on those plays, but there is one thing that we all should understand when we talk about blown coverages.

The strong safety is not really responsible for covering wide receivers. His job is mainly for covering any running backs that come out of the backfield to catch a pass, or stopping the run.

If he is playing a zone, then his responsibility changes a little. The free safety is mainly the safety valve that will cover anything that gets through the middle of the field. I know people have been hammering on Berry for the blown coverages that have resulted in big plays, but I really do not believe those coverages were his responsibility.

By the way, what we are seeing right now with Berry is the very same complaints we saw with Pollard when he was here. That he was often out of position on passing plays. I personally think we are seeing a bigger issue with the other play around the defensive backfield.

In the case with that long pass against in the San Diego game, we had three defensive players covering Antonio Gates, that is how the receiver was able to get open.

In the play vs Cleveland we had a situation where a play action was performed very well and Barry bit on the idea that the running back had the ball. Not really a problem if the other backs are doing their job and covering their receivers. Unfortunately there have been some mix ups in the coverage the last couple of games. I have no doubt this will get better.

In short, Berry is playing very well, making some mistakes in some instances, but for the most part he is a great addition to the team and will be a monster.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by honda522 View Post
    He is a rookie, and still learning. As far as I am concerned, he is not the only one at fault for the blown coverage. Carr was there for the immediate coverage.

Lets not talk down on Berry or any player for that matter that doesn't need to be question on one or 2 plays.

I think he has a many great plays. He dropped a pick yesterday, I was so sad. But I have seen him be a fairly solid tackler for the most part and thats what anyteam needs. Your expectations are probably high, you can't expect a player to not make a mistake. Hell look at Tom Brady or Manning. They throw picks all the time.

This.

I think the reason that so many people are trying to blame Berry alone is that the annoncers who were terrible blamed Berry alone. They didn't mention that Berry was not the one who was on Cribbs on the play at the line. If carr does not get blown by then there is no TD either that's just how it is.

i love me some eric berry, that man is scary!! ok with that outta the way i wanna see him calm down while covering he seems to be to agresive which hell lvearn to control with time. he broke up a nice play and is awsome in the run game and blitzing weve got lot of young blood and the skys looking pretty blue in
    our future. alot of work to do but man the futures looking bright again 2-0 is 2-0 no matter how it looked

In short, he's made some huge blunders (and a few great plays) so far but I'm not worried about him at all. I saw enough from him in college to know that he's going to be one of the best safeties in the league for a long time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast