Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassell or WR's

Default Cassell or WR's

I keep reading about how most people have little to no faith that #7 is gonna be the guy here. Granted his performance has been mediocre at best but it's not as if he has had any help. I am too lazy to look it up but am pretty sure the chiefs were at the top of the league in dropped balls last year with D-Bowe having a lot of them. Chambers made no effort to break up that pick on the underthrown ball last week. They run routes short on 3rd and long situations. Is it just me or do our wide receivers have as much to blame as our qb.

Dropped passes have not been the issue this year. So far there have been three total. Of course, compared to the number of passes attempted, that is still a pretty high percentage.

There are a number of factors going on here.

1. Cassel's birddogging. Cassel seems to know before the snap ever comes exactly who is going to throw to. He looks at that receiver all the way down the field to the complete ignoring of any other receivers. He will throw it away, or into traffic before he checks any other receiver.

If he does check another receiver, it is a safety valve dump for short yardage. 1 - 3 yards on average.

Cassel's birddogging has a lot to do with the next issue as well I believe.

2. Receivers for the most part are not getting seperation. I am not sure if they are televising their routes, or just not making the cuts they need to be making, but they are being covered very well. I believe a lot of this is because of Cassel following that receiver down the field.

3. Play calling. Look, let's face it, if you know your quarterback has a tendency to birddog your receivers, then call plays that involve flooding that part of the field. We saw some success for a couple pass plays at Clevelend where they did just that. If you have two or three guys in the vicinity of where Cassel is tending to look, then it will be harder for the defense to cover all of those receivers equally as well. This should allow at least one of them to get open in the amount of time Cassel has to throw.

4. The offensive line is better at giving Cassel more time, but what I have been noticing is a lack of a pocket forming. Everyone comments on a QBs ability to step up in the pocket to buy more time, but frankly we really do not have a pocket formed on most pass plays. The left side of the line forms pretty well, but the right side is getting pushed all over the field. Luckily, these guys are able to hold of the defenders, but there really is no pocket for Cassel to use. Watch the game this week and see if you see what I mean.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I think it's a combination of "all of the above". Cassel, WR's and play calling. I would think that as a QB on this team you would have to be concerned with... a) the O line and b) the receivers ability to catch the balls. Having said that, he has to get better and he has proven all though it be on a different team, that he is able to be very productive when given the right tools and protection. I hope he can get it righted soon.

Regardless of "who" is playing WR, they have produced FAR, FAR less than what would on paper appear that they should. Bottom line is they are 2-0 but they better have their heads on a swivel this week because the Niners are going to BRING it and if we are not spot on, this could get ugly early.
    Last edited by Drunker Hillbilly; 09-23-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Its been a lil bit of everything but I think as the season goes on, they will learn to play as a TEAM. The receivers need to get open a lil quicker/catch the ball, Cassell can be a lil more accurate,the line can give Cassell a lil more time, and the play calling needs to be a lil better.

All in all, they're in a new system and I think they will get in the groove of things sooner than later. If by game 4 they haven't, then I'll start to worry.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    On sunday it was 3rd and 6 and bowe ran a five yard route that's not the oc that's bowe not knowing where the first down marker is.
    What? Do you really think Bowe decides what routes he's going to run? Our entire passing system is designed for the QB to get a ball to a spot, not to the player. If Bowe runs an extra yard because that's the first down line, the ball bounces off the turf.

Bowe ran the route he ran because the play called for it. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by SIC J View Post
    Its been a lil bit of everything but I think as the season goes on, they will learn to play as a TEAM. The receivers need to get open a lil quicker/catch the ball, Cassell can be a lil more accurate,the line can give Cassell a lil more time, and the play calling needs to be a lil better.

All in all, they're in a new system and I think they will get in the groove of things sooner than later. If by game 4 they haven't, then I'll start to worry.
    The sad part is, supposedly Cassel is the most familiar with this offensive scheme yet he's the worst skill position starter.

Thanks Aussie!

If you watch the video of the INT at cleveland and everyone that is saying Bowe was open for a TD keep watching he breaks his route off right toward the safety. What do you want matt to do throw a catch ball in between bowe and the safety and best man gets it? Now Matt didn't even look that way but still it's the little things.

Everything you guys have said is true. Matt does Birddog SOMETIMES not all the times i've seen him look around. But what makes it hard for him is just like somebody said the RIGHT side of the pocket colapses and he can feel it so he has to find a place to step. When your trying to look at 3 different options and about 5 defenders to see where they are as opposed to where you want to place the ball then you can feel a push coming from your right it makes it hard. That is why alot of times people say cassel gets happy feet. He tries to step up in the pocket but it's collapsing in from the right so he jumps back to find a gap to escape from..

He does need to get better or we need to maybe try Asomoah at RG. To get cassel a pocket he can step into.

Watch Manning or Brady or Brees. They all get happy feet except brady who just kind bounces. But they all shuffle their feet. The difference is their pocket is a pocket and not a half U. Cassel is pretty damn accurate when not getting pressure and he's got plenty of arm. I laugh still when everyone says that.

And actually now watching the INT again Cassel's first look was Pope but the LB dropped right back into him. Then cassel looks to chambers and throws the jump ball.

I have given this guy support for long enough, there should be improvement. This year, they are catching them and he just isn't throwing them.

I give him to the end of this year before I write him off as a bust. I know he had good targets in NE, but we have some good ones here and he just plain isn't throwing the ball in the sweet spot.

Hey, if we win the SB with Cassel, I could careless if he stays. I can almost bet there will not be success if Cassel can't get the passing game going.
    <a href=http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/../../../../image.php?type=sigpic&userid=2553&dateline=1258934108 target=_blank>http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/.....ine=1258934108</a>

Being that I watch the game on TV I can't see the whole field, the one play I did see online that showd the entire field was the deep pass to Chambers that was picked..Dwayne was running a seam route on the other side and had him beat by a couple steps and Cassel never looked his way, to top it off the pass to Chambers was badly underthrown. So yes Cassel is the problem when that play is disected.

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    If you watch the video of the INT at cleveland and everyone that is saying Bowe was open for a TD keep watching he breaks his route off right toward the safety. What do you want matt to do throw a catch ball in between bowe and the safety and best man gets it? Now Matt didn't even look that way but still it's the little things.

Everything you guys have said is true. Matt does Birddog SOMETIMES not all the times i've seen him look around. But what makes it hard for him is just like somebody said the RIGHT side of the pocket colapses and he can feel it so he has to find a place to step. When your trying to look at 3 different options and about 5 defenders to see where they are as opposed to where you want to place the ball then you can feel a push coming from your right it makes it hard. That is why alot of times people say cassel gets happy feet. He tries to step up in the pocket but it's collapsing in from the right so he jumps back to find a gap to escape from..

He does need to get better or we need to maybe try Asomoah at RG. To get cassel a pocket he can step into.

Watch Manning or Brady or Brees. They all get happy feet except brady who just kind bounces. But they all shuffle their feet. The difference is their pocket is a pocket and not a half U. Cassel is pretty damn accurate when not getting pressure and he's got plenty of arm. I laugh still when everyone says that.
    Largely you are correct, and maybe on that play, that is not the route Bowe was supposed to run, or maybe it was, in the end, we need a QB that can hit that guy when he IS open and face it, he was open enough to be able to be thrown to on that play.

Of course, that is one particular play that I am sure he, Weis and Haley have all seen. They have seen the very things we are talking about and are trying to correct them.

The play of the O-Line is going to be harder to correct.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast