Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cassell or WR's

Hybrid View

Default Cassell or WR's

I keep reading about how most people have little to no faith that #7 is gonna be the guy here. Granted his performance has been mediocre at best but it's not as if he has had any help. I am too lazy to look it up but am pretty sure the chiefs were at the top of the league in dropped balls last year with D-Bowe having a lot of them. Chambers made no effort to break up that pick on the underthrown ball last week. They run routes short on 3rd and long situations. Is it just me or do our wide receivers have as much to blame as our qb.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I keep reading about how most people have little to no faith that #7 is gonna be the guy here. Granted his performance has been mediocre at best but it's not as if he has had any help. I am too lazy to look it up but am pretty sure the chiefs were at the top of the league in dropped balls last year with D-Bowe having a lot of them. Chambers made no effort to break up that pick on the underthrown ball last week. They run routes short on 3rd and long situations. Is it just me or do our wide receivers have as much to blame as our qb.
    Cassel is bad. He's so bad that they feel their chances are better with a draw or toss from to Charles than allow Cassel deep routes (which I'd guess to be no more than a 15% success rate on pass plays 15 yds or more). Not to mention, the pass blocking needs to improve. It's not like our receiving corps is awful. Chambers was useful when he came in last season, haven't been able to see much this season. Moeaki has been a solid target, McCluster should be too. According to just about everybody Bowe is playing the best ball he's ever played. He's had a few "drops" this season but Cassel put it in bad spots to begin with. Our receivers aren't elite, but they can't be blamed when Cassel isn't even giving them the opportunity to be successful.

Just look what happened to Arizona's pass offense under this short stint with Leinart.

Thanks Aussie!

It's both the WRs and Cassel, plus some fault to the playcalling. Bowe drops a lot of balls (Chambers doesn't though), but Cassel throws the ball right into traffic enough that some of the drops are his fault.

And they run the routes that the OC calls. They aren't making up their own routes out there. Cassel doesn't have the arm or the accuracy for the long ball right now, so Weis is gameplanning around that. And if Weis calls another pitch to the RB on 3rd and 1, we need to fire him. Out of a cannon and into the sun.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    It's both the WRs and Cassel, plus some fault to the playcalling. Bowe drops a lot of balls (Chambers doesn't though), but Cassel throws the ball right into traffic enough that some of the drops are his fault.

And they run the routes that the OC calls. They aren't making up their own routes out there. Cassel doesn't have the arm or the accuracy for the long ball right now, so Weis is gameplanning around that. And if Weis calls another pitch to the RB on 3rd and 1, we need to fire him. Out of a cannon and into the sun.
    On sunday it was 3rd and 6 and bowe ran a five yard route that's not the oc that's bowe not knowing where the first down marker is.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    On sunday it was 3rd and 6 and bowe ran a five yard route that's not the oc that's bowe not knowing where the first down marker is.
    What? Do you really think Bowe decides what routes he's going to run? Our entire passing system is designed for the QB to get a ball to a spot, not to the player. If Bowe runs an extra yard because that's the first down line, the ball bounces off the turf.

Bowe ran the route he ran because the play called for it. No more, no less.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    What? Do you really think Bowe decides what routes he's going to run? Our entire passing system is designed for the QB to get a ball to a spot, not to the player. If Bowe runs an extra yard because that's the first down line, the ball bounces off the turf.

Bowe ran the route he ran because the play called for it. No more, no less.
    Most likely Bowe misjudged the distance that he had gone. WRS don't always have time to take a look at where the chains are. I find it hard to think that our coaching staff is not smart enough to have our WRS run for the 1st down. I think it's likely Bowe just misjudged his spot.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Most likely Bowe misjudged the distance that he had gone. WRS don't always have time to take a look at where the chains are. I find it hard to think that our coaching staff is not smart enough to have our WRS run for the 1st down. I think it's likely Bowe just misjudged his spot.
    Herm's OCs liked to call 3 yd passing plays on 3rd and 5.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Except that he wan't talking about Bowe running out of bounds a yard short. He was talking about Bowe running a five-yard route when the first down's six yards. Bowe can't decide to run his routes differently because of where the marker is. They've practiced whatever play that was a million times in practice. Cassel is going to throw to the spot Bowe will be, which is five yards.

The route was part of the play called. We know Bowe ran the route correct because he caught the ball. It didn't go over his head or fall at his feet. Whichever play Weis called required Bowe to run a five-yard out. Either the playcall was bad or Bowe wasn't Cassel's primary target. But to blame a WR because he ran the play called is nuts.

Watch Bowe at the top of the screen.

NFL Videos: Browns defense, INT

That's a touchdown with any catchable ball in that direction. Cassel is playing poorly and doesn't seem to see the deep pass when it's there. No excuses.

Last year D-Bowe did lead the league in dropped balls, with Mark Bradley and Bobby Wade in the top 10 as well.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast