Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official Chiefs Crowd QB Discussion Thread***

Default ***Official Chiefs Crowd QB Discussion Thread***

By popular demand:

The purpose of this thread is to facilitate all discussion involving the Quarter Back position and those who fill said position in order to reduce the amount of threads created solely for this purpose.

Thank you.

-Chiefster

I'll bite...

I have been an avid Cassel believer, but his window is closing.. He needs to be better.
    Now I don't think he is solely to blaim for our lack of offensive production from the passing game.

If I had to break it down I would do it like this:

Blame-o-meter:

Cassel - 40%
    Play calling - 30%
    Receivers - 20%
    Protection - 10%

Allow me to elaborate..

First of all Matt needs to work on his vision, he has to see the field clearer and where the holes in the coverage are going to be. (Cassel)
    He is not going to get a lot of wide open receivers, because most routes so-far have been short routes, and our opponents know this. (Playcalling & Protection)
    While i watched the Browns game I didn't feel like our receivers were getting open enough, the commentators noticed this too. However it is hard to judge without better overhead camera angles.

I think if Matt is going to complete more passes, he will have to be better at throwing the ball to a spot, and not necessarily right at the receiver.
    I noticed a few of the good balls he threw at Bowe and Moeaki, were thrown in front of the receivers, meaning at the point of his release, the routes were still somewhat "secret" to the db's, for lack of a better word. It feels like the timing of the passing attack is out of sync, receivers not open at the time of Matt's reads and the time he has to throw. (All categories)

Matt also needs to feel the pocket better, but this can prove difficult, as the pass protection still isn't fantastic all the time.
    It is miles better than lst year, but the pocket is pushed around and is often squeezed from the right side or the middle. Look at the o-line reviews from bewsaf at AP and see how many times the center gets driven backwards. (Cassel & Protection)

It would also be a delight to see some more 1st and 2nd down passes, the run, run, 3rd and long routine isn't helping anything..! (Playcalling)
    Last but not least.. Where in the world is our new offensive playmaker?! I wan't Dex to catch a freaking pass! He was "supposed" (speculation on my part) to be our Wes Welker type of receiver. (Playcalling)

Overall this offense is dependant on Matt to make the throws he is expected to make, and I honestly think he is more accurate and throws a harder ball than last year. But he also has to decipher the defense, and read where he needs to put the ball before the window is completely open so to speak..
    But I just can't shake the feeling that there is something slightly wrong, timing wise, with this offense.
    Maybe we should run more 3 WR, single back (Charles!) formations, so as to better camouflage the pass or run, and spread out the defence.

What do you guys think, am I completely off on my blame-o-meter and my observations?
    Would Croyle be a better choice?
    I find it hard to ignore that he is 0-9 as a starter, he is often injured and his superior arm strength is likely wasted with an o-line that rarely keeps a secure pocket.
    But if Cassel doesn't improve over the next 5-6 games, then Im all for seeing what Croyle can do..

Please refrain from posting Cassel sucks donkey balls! it is pointless and unintelligent to say the least.

Im done.. be gentle and....
    Last edited by brish; 09-23-2010 at 06:34 PM.

Default leftwich to kansas city

Pittsburgh has a qb surplus. Like last week. They will release. The former jags qb when. Big Ben comes back. The chiefs should try to get him.

So, this is what we're talking about...

• Cassel
    • Croyle
    • Vick
    • Leftwich
    • Leinart
    • Quinn
    • Draft pick
    • Kolb
    • Other

I fear Croyle will get a shot and legitimately WIN the QB position and prompt the Chiefs to build around him for a season and then get some kind of injury and we're back here again in the middle of next season.

If that doesn't happen, I worry about Haley overruling Weis and bringing Leinart in instead of Quinn.

I'd love to see Kolb here but doubt the Chiefs spend the picks on him and doubt the Eagles let him go.

Leftwich... uh, hell to the no... the Chiefs need to find a franchise cornerstone at QB and NOW is the time to develop one... not once the team gets legitimately competitive and perennially in the playoffs. Find one NOW.

... that rules out Vick as well.

That leaves Cassel or a draft pick. Personally, I hope Locker keeps losing draft stock and we grab him. He looks like the real deal at QB. Here's hoping he has a horrible season due to something OTHER than himself... perhaps an insignificant injury or poor line play. I think we'll be picking in the high teens-mid twenties in the draft and if Locker could fall that far, I'd love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    So, this is what we're talking about...
    • Cassel
    • Croyle
    • Vick
    • Leftwich
    • Leinart
    • Quinn
    • Draft pick
    • Kolb
    • Other

I fear Croyle will get a shot and legitimately WIN the QB position and prompt the Chiefs to build around him for a season and then get some kind of injury and we're back here again in the middle of next season.

If that doesn't happen, I worry about Haley overruling Weis and bringing Leinart in instead of Quinn.

I'd love to see Kolb here but doubt the Chiefs spend the picks on him and doubt the Eagles let him go.

Leftwich... uh, hell to the no... the Chiefs need to find a franchise cornerstone at QB and NOW is the time to develop one... not once the team gets legitimately competitive and perennially in the playoffs. Find one NOW.

... that rules out Vick as well.

That leaves Cassel or a draft pick. Personally, I hope Locker keeps losing draft stock and we grab him. He looks like the real deal at QB. Here's hoping he has a horrible season due to something OTHER than himself... perhaps an insignificant injury or poor line play. I think we'll be picking in the high teens-mid twenties in the draft and if Locker could fall that far, I'd love it!!
    My take

• Cassel Jury is still out on him but is getting close to an answer of no. He HAS to step it up in order to remain the QB after this season
    • Croyle Not the long term answer for sure. But if Cassel does not get any better I would not mind us giveing him a look to see if he can do better this season. And well not get hurt.
    • Vick Won't happen don't really think it's worth talking about.
    • Leftwich He's not a starter for a reason. He's not that good of a starter.
    • Leinart I really don't think he will even be talked about by the Chiefs. He's a backup nothing more.
    • Quinn This one is interesting. I would not mind us signing him if he's a free agent after this season I don't no if he will be and letting him try to earn the job. He did well with Weiss at ND. Maybe he would be able to do well with Weiss in the NFL. But for a LOW price.
    • Draft pick I would hate to have to do this. Myself I just hope the Cassel starts to get going and shows he can be a starter in the NFL. But I think we have to grab a QB if Cassel doesn't in the next draft.
    • Kolb Anther Interesting option. I think he can be a good But the fact that the team that drafted him and traded a REAL good QB for him is now willing to listen to offers scares me. I don't no if he is a starter I don't no if he isn't. Not enough to tell just yet.
    • Other I can't say that there is one QB that is a real possible signing that I would want. I think that all the good current QBS are taken and are not going anywhere.

Like Brish, I have been a Cassel supporter but I have been disappointed in his performance so far ... but it's only been 2 games and we won both. He also played much better in the second half against the Browns.

I think Cassel will start playing better, but if he doesn't, we don't really have a better choice this season. I've never liked Brodie Croyle.

I'm in agreement with those who think we should draft a quarterback if Cassel doesn't work out.

Really, the only ideas I'm interested in if Cassel ultimately fails are:

A.) Throw Croyle out there and see what happens. If he lights the world on fire, great. Otherwise...

B.) Draft a QB in round 1 next season. Or maybe do this even if Croyle plays well down the stretch.

I don't really want to end up starting some garbage from another team. Kolb is the only one I have any interest in, but I'd still rather just draft a QB. The plus with Kolb is that he's been groomed and should be ready, whereas a drafted QB might take 2 years before we really know if he's good or not.
    Last edited by yashi; 09-24-2010 at 09:40 AM.

sorry but the way my Huskers handled Locker.4 for 20????.no way in hell do I want that POS QB. I'd rather keep Cassell..

Leinart will never be a Chief. Locker will go high in the draft so if we don't start losing, we are not going to even have a chance of getting him regardless of what anyone thinks of him.

No disrespect HillBilly but Locker IMO screwed himself cause he didnt come out last year, he is having a horrible year thus far.
    I would not nwant to draft him even in the 5th rd. at this point. 4 of 20 with 2 pics isnt good.

For the Croyle crowd, how many turnovers did we average with him at the helm? How many does Cassell have? He is just beginning to get some good protection. As he settles down and the "run for your life" instinct dies down, Cassell will be a good QB. Croyle is a good backup. And it is Cassell's job to start, until he starts costing us games.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast