Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast

Thread: To those who talked about how bad our offseason/draft was

Default To those who talked about how bad our offseason/draft was

Anyone care to admit that they were wrong?

I will start. I thought that our draft was ok at best. I was wrong. We had a GREAT Draft. Our rookies are makeing an impact this season and will only get better.Sorry Pioli,Haley and to the Chiefs I was wrong about our draft and couldn't be happier about it.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    yeah... it was ALL this past year's draft/offseason that got us to the playoffs and has NOTHING to do with the players that were already here who have finally had time to mature, right?

DJ, Bowe, Dorsey, Albert, Charles, Flowers, Carr, Hali, Jackson, Cassell, Edwards, etc...

The "empty cupboard" had ZERO influence on this year's success... I'm sure it was ALL McCluster and his 19 receptions over 10 games for less than 200 yards that put us over the top. Or perhaps it was Arenas and his 42 tkls and ZERO ints. Nope... I found it... it was Moeaki and his 500 receiving yards and 3 TDs combined with Asamoah's ZERO games started.

Hell, we could practically throw away Bowe's 1000+ receiving yards and 15 TDs or Charles' 218 rushing attempts and 1400 production yards.... Dorsey's 60 tkls, DJ's 116 tkls, 1 int, and 4 FF... Flowers' Pro Bowl production with 61 tkls, 2 ints, and 1 FF... probably don't need Cassell and his 3000 yds and 27 TDs and his 98.9 passer rating.

We should just trade them all away the way we did Pollard and his 111tkls and his 3 FF this season... oh wait... that's right... we DIDN'T trade him... he was released... STROKE OF GENIUS. Having Pollard next to Berry would've been SICK!

LOOK, I'm not saying that this past offseason wasn't a good one and didn't contribute to the success of this team. BUT, I think it had a LOT more to do with the coaching these players are finally receiving and the maturity and production of the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th year players... oh, and not to mention the Chiefs had one of the easiest schedules in the league. There's a reason 13 teams before the Chiefs have made the leap from last place one season, to first place the next since 2000.... last place teams get the easiest schedules.

Get a grip.
    Not enough credit given to the rooks, Tex. You have some good points and obviously the schedule and maturity of the veterans helped but this draft was the biggest immediate boost that this franchise has ever seen.

Our two starting safeties were rookies from this draft class and Kendrick Lewis might be the best pick out of everybody.

You totally threw the importance of Moeaki out the window during your rant. He was arguably the most integral part of the outside running game and many experts have went as far as to say that he was the best blocking tight end in the AFC his rookie year! Not to mention that he came up with numerous 3rd down catches that kept drives alive and gave defenses something else to focus on.

Your wrong about Jon Asamoah too. He actually started week 8 against Buffalo. you probably didn't notice him because the Chiefs didn't miss a beat and they had their finest rushing day of the season with 274 yards on the ground. He will play for this team for the next 10 years.

Javier Arenas has been solid as a nickel corner and although he has gave up a few plays, he has given the Chiefs an upgrade from Maurice Leggett and he doesn't miss tackles...ever.

Dexter McCluster is probably the weak link in this draft class and that is really saying something. He is a great decoy and gave the Chiefs an all new dimension on offense.

Like all success stories, it took a team to get where the Chiefs are at now, but this draft class gave this squad a huge boost and I can't wait to see what they turn into.
    Last edited by Big Daddy Tek; 12-28-2010 at 06:32 PM.

CLICK HERE! FOR MY TWITTER PAGE

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Yeah, all those players you mentioned didnt need any help. I mean look how good they have been the last three years. We had some pretty easy schedules back then too.

I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft? I dont think anyone is crediting just the rookies, but they played a pretty active role in getting us where we are. Im not sure what you want out of the draft but if this past one wasnt good enough, then you need to go back to Madden because in real life, it does not get much better than this past year.

I know you are one of the guys who would have a complaint even if we won the SuperBowl so I dont expect that you would give them credit, but to say we did not have a good draft is just ridiculous.
    Wait... you seriously think the 2010 draft is what put this team in the playoffs?

Do some research and tell me when else those players I mentioned combined in the same year to produce at the levels they have this year.

Seriously... add up the production from what this draft class has done this year... forget it... I'll do it for you... the rookies on this team include:

Offense:
    Tervaris Johnson NA
    Dexter McCluster 20rec 194yds 1TD
    Verran Tucker 6rec 116yds 1TD
    Tony Moeaki 46rec 539yds 3TD
    Jon Asomoah NA

Combined for:
    72rec 849yds and 5 TDs

Defense:
    Cory Greenwood 11tks
    Cameron Sheffield NA
    Javier Arenas 42tks 2FF
    Eric Berry 85tks 1FF 4INT
    Kendrick Lewis 27tks 1FF 3INT

Combined for 165tks 4FF and 7INT

So, again, what you're saying is that production is what put us over the top? That doesn't seem logical considering Pollard in 2008 had 98tks 3FF and 1INT, while Page had 85tks 2FF and 4INT. Those two players alone combined for 183tks and 5INT with 5FF.

So, without adding the production of the other players on the 2008 defense who are now gone, the Chiefs LOST a combined 18tks and 1FF while ONLY gaining 2 INTs.

So... using basic math skills and common sense, one can see that the transition from Pollard/Page to this incoming class of rookies has actually LOST the Chiefs some production... unless you're basing the success on net gain in INTs.

*I will say that I'm happier with Berry at the safety position compared to Page, but only because he has a MUCH bigger upside. He's going to mature into the position and he's going to wreak havoc in our secondary for years. However, it wasn't necessarily a position of need until Haley/Pioli got rid of comparable production and that/those safety picks could've been used to fix the offensive line.

Let's go to the offensive side now. 72rec 849yds and 5 TDs... Dwayne Bowe... BY HIMSELF had 5 less receptions, 200 MORE yards and 3 TIMES as many TDs... The Chiefs could've got that much production from another top pick WR. Had the Chiefs not created a need by getting rid of both safeties, thus needing to use a top pick for Berry, they could've drafted Dez Bryant who would've taken care of return duties AND thrown up production nearly equal (45rec 561yds 6TDS) to that of the 5 rookies mentioned above... AS WELL AS given the Chiefs a solid #2/#1 across from Bowe while also freeing up the picks we spent on McCluster and Arenas.

So again, before anointing this draft class as the greatest thing to ever happen to Kansas City, maybe we should begin talking about the fruits that the 2008 draft class is starting to produce while trying to do everything we can to forget about the epic failure the 2009 draft class was. This 2010 class is going to need a couple years to evaluate. This class isn't even close to being able to hold the 2008 classes jock.

Again, it's not that I think this was a bad draft... I just think y'all are giving the credit for this year's success to the wrong group of players just because they're the newest additions.

Oh, and here I thought it was a team sport. I didnt know that the group that was out on the field this season couldn't possibly make each other better. Im not gonna argue this because its ridiculous. Our team is vastly improved this season. I think its a combination of veterans improving, rookies performing well and coaching staff getting the most out of the players but to say we did not have a good draft is just looking for a reason to complain!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Wait... you seriously think the 2010 draft is what put this team in the playoffs?

Do some research and tell me when else those players I mentioned combined in the same year to produce at the levels they have this year.

Seriously... add up the production from what this draft class has done this year... forget it... I'll do it for you... the rookies on this team include:

Offense:
    Tervaris Johnson NA
    Dexter McCluster 20rec 194yds 1TD
    Verran Tucker 6rec 116yds 1TD
    Tony Moeaki 46rec 539yds 3TD
    Jon Asomoah NA

Combined for:
    72rec 849yds and 5 TDs

Defense:
    Cory Greenwood 11tks
    Cameron Sheffield NA
    Javier Arenas 42tks 2FF
    Eric Berry 85tks 1FF 4INT
    Kendrick Lewis 27tks 1FF 3INT

Combined for 165tks 4FF and 7INT

So, again, what you're saying is that production is what put us over the top? That doesn't seem logical considering Pollard in 2008 had 98tks 3FF and 1INT, while Page had 85tks 2FF and 4INT. Those two players alone combined for 183tks and 5INT with 5FF.

So, without adding the production of the other players on the 2008 defense who are now gone, the Chiefs LOST a combined 18tks and 1FF while ONLY gaining 2 INTs.

So... using basic math skills and common sense, one can see that the transition from Pollard/Page to this incoming class of rookies has actually LOST the Chiefs some production... unless you're basing the success on net gain in INTs.

*I will say that I'm happier with Berry at the safety position compared to Page, but only because he has a MUCH bigger upside. He's going to mature into the position and he's going to wreak havoc in our secondary for years. However, it wasn't necessarily a position of need until Haley/Pioli got rid of comparable production and that/those safety picks could've been used to fix the offensive line.

Let's go to the offensive side now. 72rec 849yds and 5 TDs... Dwayne Bowe... BY HIMSELF had 5 less receptions, 200 MORE yards and 3 TIMES as many TDs... The Chiefs could've got that much production from another top pick WR. Had the Chiefs not created a need by getting rid of both safeties, thus needing to use a top pick for Berry, they could've drafted Dez Bryant who would've taken care of return duties AND thrown up production nearly equal (45rec 561yds 6TDS) to that of the 5 rookies mentioned above... AS WELL AS given the Chiefs a solid #2/#1 across from Bowe while also freeing up the picks we spent on McCluster and Arenas.

So again, before anointing this draft class as the greatest thing to ever happen to Kansas City, maybe we should begin talking about the fruits that the 2008 draft class is starting to produce while trying to do everything we can to forget about the epic failure the 2009 draft class was. This 2010 class is going to need a couple years to evaluate. This class isn't even close to being able to hold the 2008 classes jock.

Again, it's not that I think this was a bad draft... I just think y'all are giving the credit for this year's success to the wrong group of players just because they're the newest additions.

If you look at the numbers Tony M has had a better rookie season then Tony G. I think that Tony G guy worked out well for us. No one has said that they are the only reasons that this team has been so much better. But without the draft class and our offseason pick up we would NOT be where we are now. You don't just go from 4-12 to divison champs without haveing a pretty good offseason and drafts.

I don't reacall saying that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    I just want to be clear here though. You are saying we didnt have a good draft? I dont think anyone is crediting just the rookies, but they played a pretty active role in getting us where we are.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I give credit mostly to the leadership of this team, that includes coaches and players, with some of those players being rookies, if I remember right nearly all of our draft picks were team captains, and you don't get that title for Christmas.

Last year we found ways to loose several games. We were a better team then our record showed ,just were lacking the leadership. The TEAM on this team is far better then last year.

I love the draft, it helped piece the puzzle more then I could have imagined.
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 12-29-2010 at 08:39 AM. Reason: got pig fingers

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I give credit mostly to the leadership of this team, that includes coaches and players, with some of those players being rookies, if I remember right nearly all of our draft picks were team captains, and you don't get that title for Christmas.

Last year we found ways to loose several games. We were a better team then our record showed ,just were lacking the leadership. The TEAM on this team is far better then last year.

I think you hit the nail on the head everyone of this years rookies were team captians and they brought the team concept to this team and I think that is a big difference in this years team from last years team. The rookies made the vets better because they showed them how to be team players as well as all the new team speed they brought which is something you need in the NFL nowdays.

Lewis, Berry and Arenas have beeh huge impacts in the secondary. They play a very big roll in the turn around.

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post

I agree but also I believe last year we lacked the mental toughness that this team has this year.

I love this thread!

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast