Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 18 game season a done deal

Default 18 game season a done deal

Apparently it is a done deal.

"INDIANAPOLIS -- Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made."

I do want more games in a season because I think it is way too short compared to other sports but records will be too easy to break now.
    It starts with the Offensive line

I guess we're gonna get an 18 game season but I'm not in favor of it.

In a longer season more players will have season ending injuries. I think it is more interesting to follow the same group of players for a season. A longer season will disrupt the continuity of a team because of these season ending injuries.

It would also, yet again, screw up record comparisons from a historical stand point. This is more important to me than a couple of extra games a year.

IMO - This is being done for money not for the good of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by kilobytes View Post
    Apparently it is a done deal.

"INDIANAPOLIS -- Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made."

I do want more games in a season because I think it is way too short compared to other sports but records will be too easy to break now.
    Thats peobably one of the biggest problems. Back in the early decades of the league there were only like 12 games and even then some amazing players could come close to 2000 yards but now it won't be so difficult.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345