Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 18 game season a done deal

Default 18 game season a done deal

Apparently it is a done deal.

"INDIANAPOLIS -- Bill Polian says the 18-game NFL season is a done deal.

During Monday night's weekly radio show, the Indianapolis Colts' president called it a "fait accompli" and said the debate is over. Polian is a member of the league's competition committee and has worked in the league office.

Polian is concerned that getting rid of two preseason games to expand the regular season from 16 to 18 games will cost coaches and team officials opportunities to evaluate rookies. The solution, Polian said, might be hooking up with nearby teams for combined practices or controlled scrimmages.

League owners and the commissioner have expressed support for an expanded regular-season schedule, but they haven't said a decision has been made."

I do want more games in a season because I think it is way too short compared to other sports but records will be too easy to break now.
    It starts with the Offensive line

By the time you are a NFL player, you have already subject your body to be abused for a long time, There is no way you can add on more games to the season, unless you increase the number of players on your team. That means pay out more money for players. I know that the NFL game that we watch now is not near as long, as the games of old. Today, in this age of the NFL, games are shorter. But the physical strain on the Play on the field of play, will tire out and drop ,will not

Ehhh.. how about 4 preseason games, 18 regular season games, and increase the team rosters from 53 to a number closer to 60? I like the idea of seeing more regular season football, but not at the cost of sacrificing the in game evaluation period that pre-season is.

Keeping more players on the team is going to cost more money, so a rookie contract cap might also be helpful to install.

The schedule right now is fair. The way it's set up is fair and keeps things interesting. Adding more games is just screwing up a system that isn't broke. Sure 4 preseason games may seem like a lot, but they're very important in evaluating rookies and players on the fringe. Taking that away is taking away potential opportunities for unknown underdogs. Plus the more games, means the more players there are getting hurt. I love football and I love watching football, but even I am adamantly opposed to adding more games to the schedule.

Horrible idea. Every record for a single season will be broken in no time, making every current record in the books irrelevant. It will diminish the history of the NFL.

NFL running backs are already run to the ground by the time they turn 30. Add an extra 40-50 carries a season for featured backs, and their careers are going to be cut even shorter. Every team will be forced to move to running back by committee.

The key to winning in the NFL will become keeping your team healthy, not going all out and trying to win games. Who cares if you make the playoffs if half of your team is on the IR list?

The only real benefit that will be felt will be in the bank accounts of the owners.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Horrible idea. Every record for a single season will be broken in no time, making every current record in the books irrelevant. It will diminish the history of the NFL.

NFL running backs are already run to the ground by the time they turn 30. Add an extra 40-50 carries a season for featured backs, and their careers are going to be cut even shorter. Every team will be forced to move to running back by committee.

The key to winning in the NFL will become keeping your team healthy, not going all out and trying to win games. Who cares if you make the playoffs if half of your team is on the IR list?

The only real benefit that will be felt will be in the bank accounts of the owners.
    I am sure the same arguments were said back in '78 when the season was taken from 14 to 16. How many old records are still out there from before 1978 not many I am sure? I am not sure that I like the idea either but just because records will be broken is not reason because they will be broken anyhow. I fell that if it does become 18 game the rosters will have to increase and I also think a rookie cap will be necessary. Anyhow the players have to agree to it first in the CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy Tek View Post
    Real bad move. I would have to write a very lengthy column to explain all of the reasons why, but all in all, this is a very selfish move by the owners.
    I agree, real bad move.

It's amazing how little support there is for a 18-game season. Even among us, people who like football enough to spend time talking about it online.

Right now, we get 25 weeks of football. 4 preseason games, 17 regular season games, and 4 weeks of postseason. Plus draft weekend, pro bowl, and training camp. Plus all the college games.

As much as I love football, I don't need anymore football. Labor Day to March Madness is the perfect football season.

All you guys complaining that its too much wear and tear on players and blah blah blah...... The way I see it, maybe its time for all these over-paid players to start EARNING their paychecks!!!

I think all these NFL, NBA, MLB, etc players get paid waaaaaay too much to begin with. If they're crying about playing 2 more games, then take a pay cut and sit your a$$ on the bench or go find a 9 to 5 job.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Truth is it will diminish the QUALITY of the games we are watching, has nothing to do with them earning a paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by SIC J View Post
    All you guys complaining that its too much wear and tear on players and blah blah blah...... The way I see it, maybe its time for all these over-paid players to start EARNING their paychecks!!!

I think all these NFL, NBA, MLB, etc players get paid waaaaaay too much to begin with. If they're crying about playing 2 more games, then take a pay cut and sit your a$$ on the bench or go find a 9 to 5 job.
    I often disagree with Sic J, but in this case I agree with him. I think an 18 game season is alright. The players are complaining about an 18 game season, but they play 4 preseason games now that mean nothing and in reality only COST money. Nobody watches them, they don't mean anything and are hardly even televised.

Yeah, it allows the teams to see what they have a real world game environment, but I think these guys know already who is and who is not going to make the team.

Let's go to 18 games, but no more. We really cannot have any more games than that though.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast