Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Brady, Welker, about Cassel

Default Brady, Welker, about Cassel

Tom Brady and Wes Welker talk up Matt Cassel, who's about to go against Peyton Manning | Don't Kill the Mellinger
    I thought some of you might think this funny.
    Then again, Cassel might not trust some of his receivers.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    I have been to many games as well and I have seen him underthrow many wr's. Cassel has never been known for his arm I have never heard anyone say that he has a strong arm other then this article even the most diehard Cassel fans haven't said that. Cassel is no Joe Flacco or Matt Schaub or young Brett Favre in that he's not gonna throw the ball 65+ yards down field with great accuracy, but honestly I think throwing power is overrated. Jamarcus Russel has a very very strong arm and look at how pathetic he is. I think accuracy is underrated Chad Pennington made a career on that but couldn't throw the ball far at all.
    In counter debate...underthrowing is far from indicating simply a weak arm. There can be many reasons a ball is underthrown...timing between QB & intended target WR one of them.

I've read other articles mentioning Cassel's strong arm, as well heard others in comment mention it. Cassel may not be known for it because he's not a media golden boy like Manning, of which we're brainwashed continously by the media with how strong & great his arm is. As well, Cassel hasn't been a starting QB long enough to establish a well known rep for his arm being strong or not. Montana was in his 5th year before most began to realize his talents & strength of arm. Reps take time to build over games & seasons.

Lastly, it also depends upon opponents strengths & weakness' defensively, our coaches game plan & calling against an opponent. We have a strong reliable rushing game, of which a long passing game isn't worth the risk of interception turnovers when a team has a strong rushing game.

Manning is intercepted ALOT with his long pass game...shoot, 4 times we intercepted him in the last fluke of a wildcard playoff game with the Colts. That was the year they went on to the SB I think, if memory is correct, and statistically from a defensive point of view...they never should've won the playoff game against us. Our then so called 'lame' defense was all over the Colts. Our offense let our defense down that playoff game.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Another thought related...in my memory anyway, I've seen Cassel overthrow more than underthrow.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Another thought related...in my memory anyway, I've seen Cassel overthrow more than underthrow.

True, but neither is particularly good.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    True, but neither is particularly good.
    Oh, I totally agree, haha.

I dont think that Cassels bigest problem his is arm strength (its not bad probably above average for NFL QB) its the reading of the field, looking off recievers and making adjustments to his throws.
    Cassell in my eyes is almost purely a spot/timing passer. he has issues when the play gets pushed longer or recievers cant run the exact routes game planned for.
    Hopefully these things will get better if so he can be a top ten QB in this league.

Just for the sake of debate and reminding...here is a recap of what all Cassel faced his first season as a Chief:

1) New team, that of which had a multiple season losing record.
    2) Pressure, stress, & hassle relocating to a new city with his family. Becoming a daddy for the first time in 2009.
    3) New GM & head coach, OC, etc..
    4) Firing of the OC right before the season, game book of which he'd been working with tossed, started over from scratch.
    5) Weak O-line, often sacked or on the run.
    6) Public & behind the scenes locker room controversy for the team with LJ's fiasco.
    7) Letting go of LJ, Charles taking over as starting RB.
    8) Fans reaching a peak of unhappiness after multiple losing seasons, of which Cassel wasn't a Chief, but much of the built up unhappiness was directed at him in 2009, fans often booing and heckling him...at times unjustifiably so.
    9) Numerous dropped balls by WR's, as well as missed catches that were easily catchable.
    10) Dwayne Bowe's 4 week suspension, bringing in a WR with Chambers, of which Cassel had no established QB-WR work ethic & timing relationship with.
    11) Cassel was only a 2nd year starter in 2009, typical pressures that come with being a somewhat unestablished QB in the NFL.

There's likely more not even coming to mind. The man is a professional athlete, not a Super Hero. My memory isn't always the best these days, but I sure can't remember an NFL QB ever facing so much change, adversity, obstacles, and problems all at once in one season. Some such as firing the OC before regular season, not replacing him, rather the HC also being the OC...I don't 'think' has ever occurred in the NFL, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    My major problem with Cassel has been the low throws knock down by the defensive line, and passes thrown uncatch able, either thrown behind or to hard, basically a pass that is a bullet, with no touch, or finesse. Its like whip it out there. That is what I want to see improved on, and maybe it is happening now that he is, as well as the rest of the Offense, gaining believe in each other. Soon, we will know.

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    I dont think that Cassels bigest problem his is arm strength (its not bad probably above average for NFL QB) its the reading of the field, looking off recievers and making adjustments to his throws.
    Cassell in my eyes is almost purely a spot/timing passer. he has issues when the play gets pushed longer or recievers cant run the exact routes game planned for.
    Hopefully these things will get better if so he can be a top ten QB in this league.
    This I do agree with, as I've witnessed the same, including in the first half of the 49er's game. I too am hopeful Cassel does have the talent and ability to become a top ten QB in the NFL. I've seen indicators he's capable, and think he needs to simply regain confidence in himself & team. :)

TY Connie, I just tell it like I see it. None of these things arent fixable with a higher comfort level with his teamates and time.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    My major problem with Cassel has been the low throws knock down by the defensive line, and passes thrown uncatch able, either thrown behind or to hard, basically a pass that is a bullet, with no touch, or finesse. Its like whip it out there. That is what I want to see improved on, and maybe it is happening now that he is, as well as the rest of the Offense, gaining believe in each other. Soon, we will know.
    Yep, I've seen him throw those "bullets" too, that is exactly what I think of when I see Cassel & other QB's pass like that.."bullets" being fired & speeding towards a receiver. I've seen him throw balls so strong & hard that is what causes them to be inaccurate. That's why I don't agree he has a weak arm, nor underthrows as much as he overthrows, as well as I've seen him throw long strong balls inaccurate and accurate.

My PC is old, and doesn't do well loading video's from NFL.com, jambs my PC when I try, so couldn't watch the replays of the 49er's game. However, in my memory it seems the pass Cassel threw to Moeaki was fairly long, strong, & accurate enough for Moeaki to make the catch for a TD. When I think of long passes, I'm not thinking Hail Mary passes, rather long traditional field passes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast