Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Brady, Welker, about Cassel

Default Brady, Welker, about Cassel

Tom Brady and Wes Welker talk up Matt Cassel, who's about to go against Peyton Manning | Don't Kill the Mellinger
    I thought some of you might think this funny.
    Then again, Cassel might not trust some of his receivers.

If it wasn't for his "strong arm" and "bullet" pass, that pass to McCluster that went for a 30+ yard TD would've been intercepted.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Matt Cassel is an extremeley conservative QB if you ask me. He throws the ball away too many times. We aren't judging just any starting QB here. We are judging a 50 million dollar QB. I think that's why us Chiefs fans are so critical of him. He avoids throwing interceptions by never taking any risks. It's a good thing and bad. My worry now is that he got into a nice comfort zone against the niners and I hope he hasn't lost it during the bye week. GO CHIEFS!

Let's not forget that Cassel is still a young QB. He's only started 3 years since high school.
    As far as throwing the ball away too much. Do you want to go back to the 42 sacks from last year? If no one is open get rid of it.
    Do you realize that the majority of the passes thrown in the NFL are thrown to a specific spot before the receiver comes out of his break.
    IMO Cassel's major problem is trusting his receivers to be where they are supposed to be. he seems to be bonding with the younger guys, but Bowe and Chambers are almost invisible. I just hope Chambers hasn't signed yet another contract and gone in the tank.

Arm strength is about velocity and zip on the medium range passes. Cassel doesn't have a strong arm, but this is not new information to any scouting types.

A more important question is: does he have enough arm strength to make all the throws? Hell if I know, I haven't seen him try to hit a 20 yard deep out (the hardest route to hit in football) because he's usually sacked or checking down by the time a receiver makes his break.

Just for fun, his 4 TD passes so far:

McCluster vs. 49ers - McCluster did the brunt of the work, but nice job by Cassel of getting that ball out quickly. Any hesitation would have been a pick 6 for the other team.

Flea flicker to Bowe vs. 49ers - Good throw, but not exactly something you can take a lot out of. It was mostly playing catch deep since the safety bit hard, just making sure not to underthrow it.

Moeaki vs. 49ers - Put it where only Moeaki could catch it, which is great, though Moeaki had to make possibly the catch of the season to bring it in.

Moeaki vs. Chargers - Yikes! Moeaki was wide open like 10 yards away from Cassel, and he made him have to leap for the ball.

I want to see a TD pass this weekend where I can be like, "Whoa, what a pass!" because I haven't had that moment just yet.
    Last edited by yashi; 10-06-2010 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by yashi View Post
    Arm strength is about velocity and zip on the medium range passes. Cassel doesn't have a strong arm, but this is not new information to any scouting types.

A more important question is: does he have enough arm strength to make all the throws? Hell if I know, I haven't seen him try to hit a 20 yard deep out (the hardest route to hit in football) because he's usually sacked or checking down by the time a receiver makes his break.

McCluster vs. 49ers - McCluster did the brunt of the work, but nice job by Cassel of getting that ball out quickly. Any hesitation would have been a pick 6 for the other team.

Flea flicker to Bowe vs. 49ers - Good throw, but not exactly something you can take a lot out of. It was mostly playing catch deep since the safety bit hard, just making sure not to underthrow it.

Moeaki vs. 49ers - Put it where only Moeaki could catch it, which is great, though Moeaki had to make possibly the catch of the season to bring it in.

Moeaki vs. Chargers - Yikes! Moeaki was wide open like 10 yards away from Cassel, and he made him have to leap for the ball.

I want to see a TD pass this weekend where I can be like, "Whoa, what a pass!" because I haven't had that moment just yet.
    This is the truth.

I have seen Cassel make very accurate throws. I have seen some way off passes too. It also helps making an accurate throw if the receiver is actually open and Cassel doesn't have to put the ball at a place where only the receiver can catch it.

Which he did very well against San Fran.

I don't know man, those two big passes against the 49ers really started to turn me around to be a believer again. Even if the Safety bit on that play, the pass was still perfectly thrown, and for a long distance too. There are not too many guys who can make that throw. at that distance, it would have been very easy for it to come up short.

The same with the Moeaki pass. Again, that was not a 10 yard pass, that had some air under it and it was thrown hard. Moeaki made a great catch, those are the types of catches we need these guys to be making.

Both of those throws started to bring me back to Cassel as a leader for this team. I want to see about 5 more of those this weekend!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I agree. The only exception, though I wouldn't call it a true exception, haha...is when I witnessed him throw the ball to Moeaki...I did have a reaction of, "Whoa, what a pass, and what an awesome catch!" I bet my eyes were the size of silver dollars!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I don't know man, those two big passes against the 49ers really started to turn me around to be a believer again. Even if the Safety bit on that play, the pass was still perfectly thrown, and for a long distance too. There are not too many guys who can make that throw. at that distance, it would have been very easy for it to come up short.

The same with the Moeaki pass. Again, that was not a 10 yard pass, that had some air under it and it was thrown hard. Moeaki made a great catch, those are the types of catches we need these guys to be making.

Both of those throws started to bring me back to Cassel as a leader for this team. I want to see about 5 more of those this weekend!
    Yep, although I agree with yashi in points of determining arm strength, those two you mention were the passes erasing the bit of doubt I was having in the first half of the 49er's game. I'm still confused why he did some of what he did in the first half that had me doubting. I think it was the first half anyway...he intentionally grounded the ball at one point, I was like WTFrick was that all about? Then he had a couple other wobbly make no sense passes, missed a WR wide open at some point.

I had a few beers, so maybe I'm confused, but in my memory, Cassel looked like a different QB the 2nd half! He came out confident, strong, showing leadership, more accurate, and so on. That's proof to me that he's got what it takes, I've seen it...the question for me is can he consistently keep it. :)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Yep, although I agree with yashi in points of determining arm strength, those two you mention were the passes erasing the bit of doubt I was having in the first half of the 49er's game. I'm still confused why he did some of what he did in the first half that had me doubting. I think it was the first half anyway...he intentionally grounded the ball at one point, I was like WTFrick was that all about? Then he had a couple other wobbly make no sense passes, missed a WR wide open at some point.

I had a few beers, so maybe I'm confused, but in my memory, Cassel looked like a different QB the 2nd half! He came out confident, strong, showing leadership, more accurate, and so on. That's proof to me that he's got what it takes, I've seen it...the question for me is can he consistently keep it. :)
    Eh, downing a pass, or throwing a pass out of bounds is not the end of the world. All quarterbacks do it from time to time, yes, even the best ones. I bet we see Peyton do it three or four times on Sunday.

THe only thing that got me fired up was the interception. That interception in the 49ers game was really the turning point for Matt though, after that he really picked up his game.

Interceptions happen too. I don't get too hung up on those as long as they are not habitual.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123