Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: I'm tired of this conservative play calling on offense

Default I'm tired of this conservative play calling on offense

Our special teams is by no means conservative neither is our D but our offense is. Matt Cassel is supposed to be our QBOTF lets see what he can do, I wanna see him throw the ball more and I also wanna see him wait for a play to develop not just throw the ball in the dirt. If this is "The Guy" lets treat him as such. I'm glad he's avoiding sacks and not throwing interceptions, but lets try make some more throws because sometimes like last sunday we are going to need Matt to be able to throw the ball well. Same goes for Dwayne Bowe he needs to catch the ball I am giving both of these guys a year to see what they can do. If Dwayne Bowe doesn't step up he needs to be traded same to Cassel though. Our team is actually very good aside from passing, if Bowe isn't getting it done lets see what Horn or Mccluster or hell anyone can do.

Quote Originally Posted by OPLookn View Post
    I'm curious simply because on other threads and in general I have heard people say I am DONE with Bowe. He can take a long walk off a short pier!

What would Cassel need to do or not do to get you to say the same thing about him?

People seem to give Cassel every excuse possible and blame everyone else so I'm curious what the tipping point is. Thoughts?
    I think there are so many more intangibles when it comes to playing the QB position that there is a human element that says they deserve more time to adapt, perfect, adjust whatever you want to say, to becoming proficient at the position. One thing that has to be considered is that regardless of the team he was on, Cassel has proven his worth with a Pro Bowl appearance. Given the fact that he was brought to a team that was and is still rebuilding in my opinion gives him a bit more leeway because he is basically the coach on the field and plays a much more vital role than a WR.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB. Im willing to bet that Bowe is ranked well over 100 as far a receiving goes. The most important priority as a receiver is to catch the ball when thrown in your direction. Bowe has been terrible at this for 20 games now. He was drafted in the first round and has not played up to his expectations.

I'm curious simply because on other threads and in general I have heard people say I am DONE with Bowe. He can take a long walk off a short pier!

What would Cassel need to do or not do to get you to say the same thing about him?

People seem to give Cassel every excuse possible and blame everyone else so I'm curious what the tipping point is. Thoughts?
    Really? You think people arent saying the same thing about Cassel?

OK its official, Cassel F***in sucks!! - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

I have not been impressed with Cassel - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

Matt Cassel SUCKS - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

is this a Cassel must win ??? - Kansas City Chiefs Forums

The list goes on.

But in answer to your question, Bowe had had 3 years and 4 games to prove himself and he is still dropping balls like a third stringer. Cassel on the other hand is learning at a position that is much harder to play and has at least shown improvement. I dont want to get rid of Bowe but I think finding a new #1 would light a fire under him and if not, then we have a new #1.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

He has to basically cost us some games. The thing you have to consider is this:

Cassel is not making mistakes that are killing this team. He is tied for third right now for the least number of interceptions thrown. In order to be in that group, he would have to throw a lot of passes away, which he does at a rate that seems pretty consistent with other QBs.

What Cassel needs to do is not throw bad passes to open receivers. He has done some of that, but that has to be tempered with those times he is throwing the ball away because receivers are not open.

Look, for me to get down on Cassel, it will take plays where he is missing the open receiver, throwing interceptions, or massive confusion on play calling. It is a lot more than QB rating and completion percentage at play here. We know our wide receivers just are not doing their jobs right now with some exceptions, so until they start getting open and catching passes, Cassel gets a a pass with me.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Drunker Hillbilly View Post
    I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB.
    It depends on what you want to rank

Here is the breakdown

QB Rating: 25th one ahead of Joe Flacco
    Completion Percentage: 30th right behind Mark Sanchez
    Attempts per game 23rd ahead of Jay Cutler
    Total Yards: 28th tied with Derek Anderson
    TDs tied for 25th tied with Donovan McNabb
    Ints: tied for 3 with Cutler, McNabb and is ahead of Rivers and a lot of other guys.
    Sacks 3: Fewer than any other QB in the league right now.

These numbers tell me that he is not producing incredible numbers, but he is not the worse either, on top of that, he is not making mistakes and frankly, that is what we need him to do right now.

That is one of the reasons we are 3-1 and not 0-4.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I think there are so many more intangibles when it comes to playing the QB position that there is a human element that says they deserve more time to adapt, perfect, adjust whatever you want to say, to becoming proficient at the position. One thing that has to be considered is that regardless of the team he was on, Cassel has proven his worth with a Pro Bowl appearance. Given the fact that he was brought to a team that was and is still rebuilding in my opinion gives him a bit more leeway because he is basically the coach on the field and plays a much more vital role than a WR.

I don't know the exact numbers but I'm guessing Cassel is ranked somewhere around 20th in the league as a QB. Im willing to bet that Bowe is ranked well over 100 as far a receiving goes. The most important priority as a receiver is to catch the ball when thrown in your direction. Bowe has been terrible at this for 20 games now. He was drafted in the first round and has not played up to his expectations.
    Cassel is at 28 out of 32 (1 starter per team) or lowest 10%, Bowe is 89 out of 128 (4 wr's per team) or lowest 10%. So basically they are rated about the same, the only difference is Bowe's succes depends more on Cassel then Cassel's success depends on Bowe. Cassel even when Bowe is on the field Cassel has another WR,FB,HB,TE, etc. that he can throw to.

I just looked at nfl.com and as they are listed in order, Cassel is ranked 25th and Bowe is ranked 128th, tied with about 8 other guys. To your point, Bowe's success does depend on Cassel more so it makes it even more important to catch the ball when it comes his way. He does himself no favors by dropping as many balls as he does. If your targeted 6 or 8 times a game and you drop 3 or 4 of those, there is a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    It depends on what you want to rank

Here is the breakdown

QB Rating: 25th one ahead of Joe Flacco
    Completion Percentage: 30th right behind Mark Sanchez
    Attempts per game 23rd ahead of Jay Cutler
    Total Yards: 28th tied with Derek Anderson
    TDs tied for 25th tied with Donovan McNabb
    Ints: tied for 3 with Cutler, McNabb and is ahead of Rivers and a lot of other guys.
    Sacks 3: Fewer than any other QB in the league right now.

These numbers tell me that he is not producing incredible numbers, but he is not the worse either, on top of that, he is not making mistakes and frankly, that is what we need him to do right now.

That is one of the reasons we are 3-1 and not 0-4.

You know I never thought about that this year until just now. Last year he took SO many sacks it was ridiculous. I hate bagging on the guy because just like so many other things it's life it's easiest to just point at the person in charge and say there's the problem. But that he's taking far less sacks this year is encouraging and hopefully he continues building on that. So I'll hold off on my whining about him til end of season at which point I'm saying brilliant bringing him here Pioli!

I just looked at nfl.com and as they are listed in order, Cassel is ranked 25th and Bowe is ranked 128th, tied with about 8 other guys. To your point, Bowe's success does depend on Cassel more so it makes it even more important to catch the ball when it comes his way. He does himself no favors by dropping as many balls as he does. If your targeted 6 or 8 times a game and you drop 3 or 4 of those, there is a problem.
    I agree. Both are too blame, Bowe is dropping too many balls and Cassel isn't playing well.

While I don't think Cassel is playing well I don't think he is playing as bad as a lot of people think. If you give Cassel the drops then again his numbers are much better. The two Bowe drops alone give him anther TD pass. Bowe has been a starter since he came into the NFL he has much more time and reps as an NFL player. I think his stock is lower then Cassels at this moment.

That being said this is Cassels thrid year as a starter in the NFL, He has to step up his game and get it going if he wants to reamain the starter. I still have hope for him to be the long term starter for this team but I am starting to wonder.

Cassel went 11-5 on the pats, on a good team. The Chiefs are becoming a good team, every week there is improvement on this team.

Jamaal had two fumbles Sunday, one in the red zone 3rd down which he was able to recover. There was enough open field that it should have been a first down. Second fumble was in field goal range and the colts recovered the ball. No one seems to point out these two things when saying Bowe lost the game for us.

For the record I am not a big fan of D Bowe, but this loss was not entirely his fault either.

Cassel has shown this year he is in control of the offense, thats the main point of developement at this point. We are 3-1, he is still developing but doing his job.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast