Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short Yardage - Weis needs to cowboy up.

Default Short Yardage - Weis needs to cowboy up.

Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
    There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    Third down is not as important for this team as some may think, Haley likes to go for it on fourth down whick I like. It says so much when you are willing to do such a thing, the only problem is that when we fail to convert people are mad at him for being stupid and when we make it people think he is the !+. We cannot have it both ways so I say go for it and tell the other team we mean bussiness!!!
    Haley calls plays on this team like I call plays in Madden, never give up the ball, 4th and 10? GO FOR IT!!!

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Haley calls plays on this team like I call plays in Madden, never give up the ball, 4th and 10? GO FOR IT!!!

If it works on madden then thats all you need to no. GO FOR IT ALWAYS.

Weis will run ,run ,run but when it is a key play in the game.He will throw it and its usually not even a high percetage play.I like alot of things they are doing on offense but weis chokes some time in cruisal times in the game.It's like he over thinks himself.What happen so a shallow slant play.Like manning did to use.He didnt get alot of yards when he played use but that 10 yard slant was there.Get Mc Cluster on that slant play and watch what happens.If the first guy misses,he could brak free and take it to the house.all on a simple slant.One other thing I don't understand.Running jone around the end on sweep.Let him be the big monster he is and punish the D-fenders up the middle,when we need those hard two yards.Go Chiefs

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post

Hahah, I usually don't mind punting because my defense on Madden is almost always #1. I'll go for it on 4th down if it's like a yard though.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

He really has been playing the game like one might in a video game. Trick plays, onside kicks to start the game, ect. Some might argue that this team is still fairly young and talent deficient so he has to take more gambles than most, but it caught up to him over the last few weeks. I agree. It was a terrible call and a bad throw, let the outcome of the game be in the hands of our best players (not the highest paid ones).

Thanks Aussie!

Wies needs to CHIEF-up!

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    Wies needs to CHIEF-up!
    HA! Quoted for truth!

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
    There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.
    A very good point! I agree. A team that is the best rushing team in the NFL (ie. The Chiefs ) should be running the ball on 4th and short, and on any other short yardage situation for that matter.

most of all of our rushing yards come on counters, draws, and pulls. We usually dont ever just run it right up the gut. I dont we have the offensive line for it, too small. It would have been another story had we just executed the play correctly

Quote Originally Posted by MDChiefs! View Post
    most of all of our rushing yards come on counters, draws, and pulls. We usually dont ever just run it right up the gut. I dont we have the offensive line for it, too small. It would have been another story had we just executed the play correctly
    Well, if you look at the best rushing attacks through the season, you'll see that almost all of them pull.

The Chiefs did it like it was going out of style when we had Priest and LJ in their primes. It's just very hard to simply run it up the gut and have success regularly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast