Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Short Yardage - Weis needs to cowboy up.

Default Short Yardage - Weis needs to cowboy up.

Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
    There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Can someone please explain to me why a dominant running team that is averaging 6 yards per carry for the game is afraid to run the ball on short yardage situations?
    There have been multiple times over the last few weeks where it has been '3rd and short' or '4th and short' sitatutions and we have thrown the ball nearly every time.

Early in the 1st half of the Texans game yesterday the Chiefs passed the ball on '4th and 2' and didn't convert but were bailed out by a suspect pass interference call. Last week the Chiefs passed on 4th and short it cost us the ball when a field goal would have tied the game.

The final 3rd down play yesterday was 3rd and 2 and the Chiefs threw the ball across the field to Moaeki into double coverage.

We had kicked the Texans butt with the running game the ENTIRE day. Running the ball would have either kiilled clock or cost the Texans a timeout.

Weis needs to play to our strengths on critical plays. Newsflash: Our strength isn't cross-field passes, its running the ball. Weis needs to nut up.
    I was thinking the same thing, also not sure why we if we wanted to mix it up why we didn't throw the ball more on first and second down.

I'm not sure why you ever throw the ball when you are averaging 6 yards a carry . Let them stop the run, then pass the ball.

cuz everyone and their brother thinks we are going to run it.. They had alot of texans at the line right there. I don't fault the play call or the pass. Neither does haley as in haley's press conference today he said that was the play he wanted and matt went to the #1 option.. It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.

Probably cuz the Texans were stacking the line so the play was changed at the line to the play action. Thats my guess.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.
    Yeah, And it might have been incomplete. If it's 3rd and 8, I'll bite. But on 3rd and 2 when your protecting a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the game and they haven't stopped the run all day???? That's stupidity. I don't care if they did stop it, the clock would have kept rolling. Very poor play call.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Yeah, And it might have been incomplete. If it's 3rd and 8, I'll bite. But on 3rd and 2 when your protecting a lead with under 3 minutes to go in the game and they haven't stopped the run all day???? That's stupidity. I don't care if they did stop it, the clock would have kept rolling. Very poor play call.
    Thats very true.......We were running the ball successfully even when every man on the defense knew it was a run!

Even after that 3rd and two, we should have went for it on 4th and two, we'd had a better chance at winning, then to kick it off to a team we had not been able to stop for several drives.

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    cuz everyone and their brother thinks we are going to run it.. They had alot of texans at the line right there. I don't fault the play call or the pass. Neither does haley as in haley's press conference today he said that was the play he wanted and matt went to the #1 option.. It's easy in retrospect to say we should have run it and it might have but it might not have been stopped.
    Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    Thats very true.......We were running the ball successfully even when every man on the defense knew it was a run!

Even after that 3rd and two, we should have went for it on 4th and two, we'd had a better chance at winning, then to kick it off to a team we had not been able to stop for several drives.
    Bingo! We had two shots to run the ball for a whopping total of 2 yards to win the game. They were playing the run all day long and never stopped it.

I dont have the issue with throwing it, they are expecting the run. I have a issue with the protection and the route running in those cases..

That's a tough one you guys.Last week we all asked why the Chiefs didn't throw the ball more. Clearly they did this time and did well. The offense played great! Sure play calling could have saved the game for us on the last two drives, however the Defense lost the game for us in the 4th qrtr. It seems to me that the Chiefs defense runs out of gas in the 4th qrtr. Against Indy and this time the Texans. There is no excuse to allow 14 points in 4 min. Our defense is much better then that and they lost the game for an offense that did their job.A Lot to learn for the Chiefs from this game because they dominated for the first 3 qrtrs. GO CHIEFS!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast