Thread: Todd Haley Believes in The Team Approach

Default Todd Haley Believes in The Team Approach

By Bill Williamson
    Two of the 12 teams in the NFL with two or fewer losses do not have an MVP candidate in ESPN.com’s MVP Watch. The Chiefs are one of those two teams. That may be a reason why Kansas City coach Todd Haley deserves coach of the year consideration.

The Chiefs are getting it done as a team and coaching is clearly a big reason why. There is no one player carrying this team. It’s been a total group effort as the AFC West-leading Chiefs have jumped out to a 4-2 record and credit goes to Haley, who has the Chiefs working together well in his second season.

Too bad running backs Jamaal Charles (489 rushing yards) and Thomas Jones (461) can’t combine and get some votes. Kansas City has the No. 1-ranked running game in the NFL and Jones and Charles are leading this offense together.

The Chiefs are well represented on ESPN.com’s rookie watch this week. Receiver/rusher/returner Dexter McCluster is No. 7 and tight end Tony Moeaki is No. 9. The Chiefs have gotten more out of their rookie class than perhaps any team in the NFL and that is another reason why this team is performing at a high level. So, in addition to Haley getting coach of the year consideration, perhaps general manager Scot Pioli should get some executive of the year consideration.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs beefed up their defense by signing veteran linebacker Mark Simoneau, who hasn’t played in the NFL since 2007 while with the Saints.

He reunites with former New Orleans defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs in Kansas City. Gibbs is the linebacker coach in Kansas City. Simoneau worked out for the Chiefs last week. To make room for him, defensive end Atiyyah Ellison was cut. Kansas City put training camp star receiver Jeremy Horne on the practice squad. He was cut Saturday.

He is very team oriented IMO. Last year he told the team: "We're all in this together." I like his approach to coaching.

i'll admit it, i was not thrilled w/the signing of Haley as coach but he has done to this point a great job and i hope it proves to be the smartest move the CHIEFS have ever made.

His team approach is great. I love the "Chiefs Will"

Resident Celebrity