Thread: A Few More Stats

Default A Few More Stats

5. Conservative party in Kansas City: Chiefs coach Todd Haley and his talented staff are showing a conservative approach can work in his pass-happy league. The Chiefs lead the AFC West with a 4-2 record built on running and smart defense. The Chiefs are averaging 35.2 runs a game with an incredible 5.0-yard average. Jamaal Charles and Thomas Jones are both on pace for 1,000-yard seasons. But the surprising numbers are on defense. Chiefs defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel is playing it smart and conservatively on defense. According to ESPN Stats & Information, the Chiefs have blitzed less than any team in football. Crennel has rushed an extra defender on only 18.9 percent of the pass plays. Last year, D-coordinator Clancy Pendergast blitzed on 32.4 percent of the pass plays, but quarterbacks had a 106.2 rating against Kansas City. This year, opponents are completing only 46.3 percent of their passes against Chiefs blitzes. Crennel is stressing coverage.

I read conservative and it makes me laugh...The Chiefs are conservative from the extent of running the ball, but on 4th downs, they are far from conservative.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I read conservative and it makes me laugh...The Chiefs are conservative from the extent of running the ball, but on 4th downs, they are far from conservative.
    ...To their detriment at times.

we wouldnt be getting torched like we are in the passing game if we would just blitz and or JAM THE FRIKIN RECIEVER!!!!
    that is the biggest thing peeving me off about the chiefs this year!

Quote Originally Posted by Pro_Angler View Post
    we wouldnt be getting torched like we are in the passing game if we would just blitz and or JAM THE FRIKIN RECIEVER!!!!
    that is the biggest thing peeving me off about the chiefs this year!
    If we would have brought in that gameplan vs. Manning we probably would have lost by 4 touchdowns. That's why Peyton is so good, he reads blitzes and gets rid of the ball fast to the open guy.