Being from Pittsburgh many of my fellow Steelers fans might not apprecaite my conclusion here. But this is what I found researching these stats...

Here is an excerpt of the item...

In NFL News, the 2010 season, like others in the past, is producing some stats that are quite misleading. Thus far in the NFL 2010 season, this is especially true with everyone’s favorites --total offense and total defense. They are almost worthless, yet media commentators like to use them as the ultimate benchmark, to prove their point.

If a team is leading the NFL in total offense, is it safe to conclude that they are the best offense in the league? Or, can we say, the team allowing the fewest yards is the best defense in all of professional football? Even more, what if a team leads the National Football League in both of these categories? Is that the best team in pro football?

If total yardage is a good barometer for evaluating a team’s ability, then the San Diego Chargers are the best team in the National Football League. As of this writing they lead the NFL in both total offense and total defense.

Look a bit further and the Chargers are the best passing offense. And yep, you’ve guessed it, they’re the best at defending against the pass.—in total yardage.

If I had a nickel for every time I’ve heard commentators on NFL Network, CBS, ESPN, NBC and FOX say, ‘you have to have a dominant passing game to win in today’s NFL’, I’d be living next-door to Bill Gates Read More