Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A realistic look at our team

Default A realistic look at our team

Right now we are a good team. Not great, but good. If we can improve on our pass defense and our passing offense we will be a great team. I have complained a lot about Matt Cassel in the past, mainly because I felt he was a bad option for our team. Not because he's gonna make a lot of mistakes but because he's not gonna make difficult throws. I guess it's none of my bizness what a player makes but I feel he's getting star qb money and playing like an average qb. That's why I haven't been complaining as much, because I'm trying to give him a chance and I'm trying to put his pay aside. As far as what Cassel has had to do he has been a good "manager" he has a crap line which should of gotten addressed in the draft, but it didn't, he only has two decent targets in Moeaki and Bowe and all you gotten do is cover them and no threats on the pass plus Cassel has to get rid of the ball quickly. Our pass defense is getting better because Berry has stepped up as of the last two games and not given up as many TD's as the previous games he has had two int and while I'm glad he's playing better I still would have preffered a big LT named Okung, it's clear Waters is getting older and has lost a step. Before this season started I said if we win 7-8 games I'm happy, right now it looks like we will win 10+ and go to the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by CastoffCassel View Post
    I don't understand how me saying our team is good enough but all we need is a better QB (never once saying all-pro caliber) to put this team over the edge is in any way bad. I just don't trust Cassel, I watch every game with optimism and hope everything works out and I never give up on a game until the final whistle blows. So get off my back and stop trying to look all high and might on a freak'n message forum.

If I had the answer to what QB we should get and it fixed the problem then I would be working for the Chiefs. AGAIN... I am just stating what I think is the only weak factor to a pretty solid team.
    Nothing wrong with saying you don't like Cassel, but right now he's all we got. Trade deadline is passed, the draft and Free Agency long gone. Matt will never be elite I think everyone knows this but he can be what we need. Picking Matt up for 16 million a year is a bonehead move but at 6 or 7 million he might just be worth it. Matt can be a good qb behind a good line with good wr's, which basically makes him an average qb, but the thing is we have the number one rush offense, all we need is a better line and a better wr. If this happens Matt goes from a crap qb to a pretty decent one.

Quote Originally Posted by CastoffCassel View Post
    If we had a QB that had more of an understanding of how to handle the pocket, we would be an AFC champ team.
    It would be nice if there was a pocket to handle.

Cassel has played extremely well of late. And it is still quite early in his relationship with Weiss' offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    There is 1:30 left in the game, you have 60 yards to go for a touchdown and you are down 4 points. You do not have the time to run the ball on every play, even against the worse ruch defense in the league, what do you do?

You lose the game. Cassel is not the QB that can win this game for you. His timing on his passes are bad, his pocket presence is not good, and he stares down his receivers before he throws.

Until these things get better, we do not want to catch ourselves in close games.
    I am gonna disagree.

If the pocket becomes more reliable, then I do want Cassel back there.

In just seven games, he has made a miraculous transition from the what he was last season.

I think there is still more to see.

And he did take us down the field in a hurry to win today.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Matt will never be elite I think everyone knows this

How would anybody know this?

but he can be what we need. Picking Matt up for 16 million a year is a bonehead move but at 6 or 7 million he might just be worth it. Matt can be a good qb behind a good line with good wr's, which basically makes him an average qb, but the thing is we have the number one rush offense, all we need is a better line and a better wr. If this happens Matt goes from a crap qb to a pretty decent one.
    There is no crap QB out there. Nor a "pretty decent" one. Over the past few games, Cassel has been a very good QB.

Just my opinion. But backed by facts/stats.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    There is no crap QB out there. Nor a "pretty decent" one. Over the past few games, Cassel has been a very good QB.

Just my opinion. But backed by facts/stats.
    Heading into today:
    QB Matt Cassel has a 108.9 passer rating over his last four games - the best mark of any QB in the league over that span (min. 100 atts).
    All you Cassel haters can put that in your pipe and smoke it.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Heading into today:

All you Cassel haters can put that in your pipe and smoke it.
    Why does every thread that mentions Cassel's name become a "Cassel Hater thread" read my original post if anything I spoke well on him saying that he suffered from a bad line, bad play calling, and poor WR's. I merely said Cassel is not an elite QB, and that If he is our guy he needs help.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    There is 1:30 left in the game, you have 60 yards to go for a touchdown and you are down 4 points. You do not have the time to run the ball on every play, even against the worse ruch defense in the league, what do you do?

You lose the game. Cassel is not the QB that can win this game for you. His timing on his passes are bad, his pocket presence is not good, and he stares down his receivers before he throws.

Until these things get better, we do not want to catch ourselves in close games.
    He was in a similar situation today, and needed a field goal to win...He did it.

Remember the Cowboys game last year? He drove the team down the field to tie with a touchdown and take it to overtime.

What you just stated happens very rarely, even for the greatest QBs in the game. I don't have the stats, but I'm going to guess maybe 40% of the time for a guy like Peyton (probably not even that high)... What team wouldn't want a guy that can do that every game. In the end though , some fans just have unrealistic expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Why does every thread that mentions Cassel's name become a "Cassel Hater thread" read my original post if anything I spoke well on him saying that he suffered from a bad line, bad play calling, and poor WR's. I merely said Cassel is not an elite QB, and that If he is our guy he needs help.
    My post wasnt directed at you in particular. I would agree that Cassel is not an elite QB at this point, but he has been playing well. Statisticly, he's been Elite over the last 4 weeks. Just saying'.

Heading into today:

QB Matt Cassel has a 108.9 passer rating over his last four games - the best mark of any QB in the league over that span (min. 100 atts).
    I don't think that he hurt that very much today, either.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I don't think that he hurt that very much today, either.
    84.1 rating today.
    14-26 152yds 1td 0int

84.1 rating today.
    14-26 152yds 1td 0int
    Yep. That's still pretty solid.

I'm no great fan of Cassel, and I really can't say that I see him "winning" any games for us on his own, but he is not losing them either. He's not taking a lot of sacks or turning the ball over. And like the rest of the team, he is surely much improved from last year. All in all, he is doing much better than I expected at the end of pre-season.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast