Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A realistic look at our team

Default A realistic look at our team

Right now we are a good team. Not great, but good. If we can improve on our pass defense and our passing offense we will be a great team. I have complained a lot about Matt Cassel in the past, mainly because I felt he was a bad option for our team. Not because he's gonna make a lot of mistakes but because he's not gonna make difficult throws. I guess it's none of my bizness what a player makes but I feel he's getting star qb money and playing like an average qb. That's why I haven't been complaining as much, because I'm trying to give him a chance and I'm trying to put his pay aside. As far as what Cassel has had to do he has been a good "manager" he has a crap line which should of gotten addressed in the draft, but it didn't, he only has two decent targets in Moeaki and Bowe and all you gotten do is cover them and no threats on the pass plus Cassel has to get rid of the ball quickly. Our pass defense is getting better because Berry has stepped up as of the last two games and not given up as many TD's as the previous games he has had two int and while I'm glad he's playing better I still would have preffered a big LT named Okung, it's clear Waters is getting older and has lost a step. Before this season started I said if we win 7-8 games I'm happy, right now it looks like we will win 10+ and go to the playoffs.

Another realistic point is that our third down conversion rate has yet to show improvement over last year. I hear Haley beat the drum every week but there is some reason why this group is consecitively not getting it done.

I think we would be fine with Matt if they can find a way to double the third down efficiency.

We are 5-2 yes and have a "soft" schedule but these games are going to get bigger and bigger.

Cassel will not lead this team to a super bowl. Our O-line is much better then in years past. The recieving targets can be Moeaki, Bowe, Chambers, Charles or McCluster... there is no excuse for our passing to be so dismal. When Cassel gets sacked half the time, its because he has no idea how to scramble and stay poised.

Quote Originally Posted by CastoffCassel View Post
    Cassel will not lead this team to a super bowl. Our O-line is much better then in years past. The recieving targets can be Moeaki, Bowe, Chambers, Charles or McCluster... there is no excuse for our passing to be so dismal. When Cassel gets sacked half the time, its because he has no idea how to scramble and stay poised.
    I think Matt's biggest weakness is the fact that he either makes his mind up before the play starts and doesn't change it, resulting in throwing the ball 10 yards away from intended target or he becomes to indecisive and has to throw it away.

You act like these guys are always open...Chambers sucks...McCluster didn't play today. Cassel does a great job of not making mistakes, and that's a great attribute of a QB. Look at the top offensive teams right now...Teams like the Cowboys and Chargers. They do have great offenses, but they also turn the ball over a lot. As long as we have a quarterback that doesn't make mistakes and can move the ball when needed: RECIPE FOR SUCCESS (check our record, yeah it's 5-2).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You act like these guys are always open...Chambers sucks...McCluster didn't play today. Cassel does a great job of not making mistakes, and that's a great attribute of a QB. Look at the top offensive teams right now...Teams like the Cowboys and Chargers. They do have great offenses, but they also turn the ball over a lot. As long as we have a quarterback that doesn't make mistakes and can move the ball when needed: RECIPE FOR SUCCESS (check our record, yeah it's 5-2).
    Those teams also pass 10x more then we do smart guy. There is a reason why we don't pass as much as they do, because our QB is not reliable and our RB duo is awesome. That's also the reason why we end up losing or cutting it close. Because we rely too much on the run down the stretch and opposing defenses play for the run and when it comes time to pass we get shut down and go 3 and out. Which then leads to our defense having to be on the field more and tiring them out which leads to better opportunities for a opposing team that was shut down but now able to score down the stretch, case in point Indianapolis.

Those teams also pass 10x more then we do smart guy. There is a reason why we don't pass as much as they do, because our QB is not reliable and our RB duo is awesome. That's also the reason why we end up losing or cutting it close. Because we rely too much on the run down the stretch and opposing defenses play for the run and when it comes time to pass we get shut down and go 3 and out. Which then leads to our defense having to be on the field more and tiring them out which leads to better opportunities for a opposing team that was shut down but now able to score down the stretch, case in point Indianapolis.
    Wow, you pointed out 1 loss we had. Sorry, I didn't expect to go 16-0 this year and beat Indy on the road. How did the running attack do when the Bills played for the run on that last drive we had?

Double post

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Wow, you pointed out 1 loss we had. Sorry, I didn't expect to go 16-0 this year and beat Indy on the road. How did the running attack do when the Bills played for the run on that last drive we had?
    Dude, are you Cassel's bff or something? I'm just stating what seems to be the weak link in this team. If we had a QB that had more of an understanding of how to handle the pocket, we would be an AFC champ team. I agree with Figcrostic, he pointed out a point that I can clearly see from watching the games as well. You could learn something from him.

Cassell is doing fine. Haley said at the beginning of the season he was committed to the run. I believe he is doing what he has been told to: check down and don't turn the ball over. The O line is a world better than last, but still not opening the field for Cassell. This morning on NFL game day Michael Irvin said (and while not a Qboy fan at all I think a lot of Irvin) that Matt Cassell is doing exactly what he is supposed to be doing. I agree. He is playing smart and until he and the receivers are in rhythm, all I ask is to win games and don't turn the ball over. He is being coached too much, that is why he over-thinks plays and seems to be on auto-pilot at times. This is (as unexciting as it is) Haley's scheme. When he was with the Pats he threw like a mofo and made big plays. It is clear he has been drilled to be conservative to the point of anality. You really want to talk realistically about the team, open your eyes and look at what he is being given-not much. His leash is short.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast