Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What frustrated me most about this loss

Default What frustrated me most about this loss

Hi everyone I am new to the boards, but want to see if I was alone in this.

While there were tons of penalties and blame to go around, the one thing that frustrated me most watching this game can be summed up in these stats.

Charles: 10 carries for 53 yards.
    Jones: 19 carries for 32 yards.

I am all for using two backs because I think it will make Charles better. But I really think the carries need to be reversed. Charles 60-70% of the carries and Jones 30-40% and not the other way around. I think it especially killed us on 3rd and one, where I believe we were stopped four different times trying to run the ball with Jones. I know Charles is the smaller back but I think he is better on 3rd and because our O-line doesn't push people as much as it makes creases. Charles is through those creases more quickly and is more slippery going through the hole. Also, on a day like today - with the Chiefs facing 8 & 9 man fronts. I feel like Charles would have busted a 70-yarder given 20 carries.

Anyone else equally frustrated?

What killed us was things like J. Ford, 6 recp. for 148 yards, D Bowe dropped pass when we need it the most and Cassel, dont get me wrong, I like Cassel but he is just not what we need. It's not panning out in the long run. We need a good QB not an Ok QB. I'm not a Cassel hater by any means but it looks like he is all he can be and right now that ain't much.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    What killed us was things like J. Ford, 6 recp. for 148 yards, D Bowe dropped pass when we need it the most and Cassel, dont get me wrong, I like Cassel but he is just not what we need. It's not panning out in the long run. We need a good QB not an Ok QB. I'm not a Cassel hater by any means but it looks like he is all he can be and right now that ain't much.
    This is the diffrance they had a guy that made plays we didn't. Did Cambell look any better the Cassel at all? Right now outside of Tony M we don't have anyone that is makeing plays. With Dexter being out the last couple of weeks. I think before we give up and move on from Cassel I think we need a true number 1 WR.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
    I don't think the running game was getting anywhere. Frankly, isn't that the secret to beating these Chiefs? Fill the box and force us to win through the air. What happens then? Sure, Cassel sticks a few but rookies will drop passes because they're rookies, Bowe will drop passes because he's Bowe, and deep passes will result in the ball being nowhere near a receiver with Cassel gesturing to that receiver afterwards. Who got the play wrong? I don't know, but I'm tired of watching that little routine.

For the record, I think they noticed Hali being held once, which is impressive from refs who can barely keep track of what down it is.
    My thing is that Charles was running effectively but just didn't get the carries. Now, he may have been banged up but he kept coming back in the game. I think Jones is good but I think Charles is clearly better and needs to get the bulk of the carries.

I will start with a "h*** yes!"

I was so mad that we kept bringing Charles out of the game, I couldn't even complete sentences.

Quote Originally Posted by okikcfan View Post
    Over half of those yards were in the clutch too.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    My thing is that Charles was running effectively but just didn't get the carries. Now, he may have been banged up but he kept coming back in the game. I think Jones is good but I think Charles is clearly better and needs to get the bulk of the carries.
    Seconded.

We cannot give up on Cassel mid term. But if he keeps going at the rate that he is, well he would be a good back up for next season. I see some players heads roll after the season is over but until then, what we have, has got to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    Hi everyone I am new to the boards, but want to see if I was alone in this.

While there were tons of penalties and blame to go around, the one thing that frustrated me most watching this game can be summed up in these stats.

Charles: 10 carries for 53 yards.
    Jones: 19 carries for 32 yards.

I am all for using two backs because I think it will make Charles better. But I really think the carries need to be reversed. Charles 60-70% of the carries and Jones 30-40% and not the other way around. I think it especially killed us on 3rd and one, where I believe we were stopped four different times trying to run the ball with Jones. I know Charles is the smaller back but I think he is better on 3rd and because our O-line doesn't push people as much as it makes creases. Charles is through those creases more quickly and is more slippery going through the hole. Also, on a day like today - with the Chiefs facing 8 & 9 man fronts. I feel like Charles would have busted a 70-yarder given 20 carries.

Anyone else equally frustrated?
    Oaklands defense was able to stop many of our rushing plays with both Charles & Jones, which is why our rushing yards were low. Charles also appeared to be hurting.

Quote Originally Posted by captainamerica View Post
    I don't know how healthy Charles was in this game. I seen him limping after a few plays and walking gingerly on his leg. I think this might've played a factor in the number of carries he received. Charles still played tough and ran his heart out, but I don't know how healthy he was.
    I noticed the same.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post
    yeah Bowe drops the game winner. what's new ???
    Respectively, Bowe made a sweet catch for a TD score that gave us the lead towards the last couple of minutes of the game. Our defense failed to stop Oakland from getting within FG range to make the FG tying the game. I see it this way...had our defense held Oakland the last two minutes of the game...Bowe's TD catch then would've won us the game.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyChief View Post
    I don't think the running game was getting anywhere. Frankly, isn't that the secret to beating these Chiefs? Fill the box and force us to win through the air. What happens then? Sure, Cassel sticks a few but rookies will drop passes because they're rookies, Bowe will drop passes because he's Bowe, and deep passes will result in the ball being nowhere near a receiver with Cassel gesturing to that receiver afterwards. Who got the play wrong? I don't know, but I'm tired of watching that little routine.

For the record, I think they noticed Hali being held once, which is impressive from refs who can barely keep track of what down it is.
    I agree, Oakland stopped many of our rushing plays, some we lost yardage on. This is why we need a consistent and reliable passing game to get us down the field when our rushing game is being slowed or stopped.

As far as Bowe...for the last two weeks I have noted players on our defense missing or dropping balls that should've been intercepted with ease. I've also noted Moeaki missing a couple. Not all of Cassels passes are easily catchable. One I noted in the Raiders game that Bowe missed...Cassel threw short and low...Bowe had to drop to his knees trying to catch it. Yes, it was catchable, but it was as much Cassels fault as Bowes.

As well, I've noted Bowe making some incredible catches and plays this season, of which have contributed to our winning games. One last week made NFL's top 10 plays, Bowes catch and mid air flip., That same play was NFL's photo of the week. Many players would've lost the ball under the same circumstances Bowe was in...mid air 360' acrobatic flip, hitting the ground HARD. Bowe made NFL's catch of the week another time this season as well, think it was the Jags game?

Receivers throughout the NFL miss passes, drop balls weekly, including top WR's. People tend to remember their great plays that are aired over & over again on TV, but their miss cues aren't widely noted. Bowe seems to be the exception and reverse. His misses are constantly criticised and blamed entirely for a game loss, while his exceptionally talented and skilled catches contributing to winning games are ignored or forgotten.

Well, I don't forget Bowes exceptional or good plays...such as in the game against the Raiders. Bowe made the catch for a TD score to put us in the lead the last few minutes of the game. Our defense failed to stop Oakland from then going downfield to score with a FG tying the game. Had our defense not failed, Bowe's TD score would've won the game. Somehow, I have a feeling Bowe wouldn't have received such recognition, or it would've been quickly forgotten. :(

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12