Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 3 quick reasons Bowe is a good WR

Default 3 quick reasons Bowe is a good WR

1) Even though the Chiefs are a powerhouse running team and like to throw the ball as little as possible Dwayne Bowe has the 4th most TD's out of any WR's or TE's in the NFL

2) Dwayne Bowe flat out secures the ball better then about any number one WR. He only has one fumble in his whole 4 year career, Andre Johnson has 3 in the last 4 years, Fitzgerald has 4 in 4 years, and Randy moss has 3 in 4 years, I could go on and on but I just wanted to throw pro-bowl names out for comparison. Holding onto the ball is very important. I would rather have a WR drop a ball then to catch it and then fumble it.

3) Yards after carry, Dwayne Bowe is hard to take down . Fitzgerald averages 3.5 yac, Andre Johnson is a stud 4.9 yac, Randy Moss 3.9, Dwayne Bowe 4.6. Out of this group of future HOF's Bowe comes in second not too shabby.

Dwayne Bowe clearly has a lot of talent, he needs to catch more balls I think everyone can agree, but to say the man is horrible or needs to be cut as some of you have said is just ignorant. Bowe might not be a number one guy but he is a very good number two guy and I think we should keep him, he is a red zone threat and while he doesn't make all the catches, but he does great things when the ball gets into his hands. Ease off the guy he doesn't seem like a bad person, and he really seems to be trying.

What's really frustrates me about Bowe is he doesn't seem to ever make the clutch play. If the Chiefs were up by 3 TDs, or down 3TDs, he would have made that catch with 2 min. to go, but it was a game clincher, and he drops it. That play cost the Chiefs a huge road win, and was a two game swing in the division.
    Chiefs in 2011

HMMMMM, Just maybe Bowe wants the best "no fumble" record therefore he drops the ball............. can't fumble if you can't catch....... just a thought.

I really do like Bowe and don't want Him to leave, but would like to see him have some competition. He is an asset to this team, as #1 or #2 WR

3 quick reasons why Bowe is an average WR at best.

1. He drops balls that are easily catchable.

2. He drops balls when the games on the line or balls that would help our team win.

3. He drops balls in the endzone that costs our teams points.

Bowe may be physically gifted, but if you can't catch the balls that count, how good really are you? I mean if they were tough catches that he dropped, I would understand, but he drops catches that are right to him. He drops catches that are absolutely inexcusable for a pro athlete getting paid the kind of money that he is.

I don't think we should get rid of him, because I don't think we could get much in return for him, but I'm also never going to be one of those people that think he can be our go to guy. I think he makes an average to decent #2 guy at best.
    Last edited by captainamerica; 11-11-2010 at 08:12 PM.

D-Bowe, simple needs to focus on his job.
    1. Do my job in this play, be that blocking or running a certain pattern.
    2. If the football is thrown to me, Catch it.
    3. When ball is caught, then wrap up and look to make positive yards for my team.
    4. Hand the ball to the ref, after play, do not show boat, because you are a member of a Team, not yet worthy of showboating.
    5. Become a star by following the above, then maybe after scoring a TD, you may earn the right to showboat in a team effort sort of way.

Bill Williamson wrote a good article about how DJ was always gifted, but never had an aptitude (talent) for linebacker until this year. I feel that it applies to Bowe. We all know how gifted he is, for whatever reason he just doesn't have the *it* (mental game?) that sets the elite receivers above the rest.

Maybe some time in the dog house would be good, passing game can't get much worse anyway.

Thanks Aussie!

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Tyler View Post
    Bill Williamson wrote a good article about how DJ was always gifted, but never had an aptitude (talent) for linebacker until this year. I feel that it applies to Bowe. We all know how gifted he is, for whatever reason he just doesn't have the *it* (mental game?) that sets the elite receivers above the rest.

Maybe some time in the dog house would be good, passing game can't get much worse anyway.
    It is like, easy catch, over thinking, I got this one, what can I do with it, instead of I got to catch this pass, then make a play, if I can. His focus must be catch first. This has to be something that the coaches are telling him. I do admit, that I am not sold out on Cassel yet, He burns passes, has no touch, at times, but he has gotten better.

I don't disagree with any of the criticisms against Bowe. I fully understand he needs to improve, make at the very least a majority of those catches he misses. I've said often when he misses that he should've made the catch, & needs to improve. Where my opinion of Bowe differs the most is that I believe he will improve, and evolve into a #1 WR among the NFL. He's already #1 with me because he is the Chiefs #1 WR...all the Chiefs starters are #1's, not necessarily in reality, simply in heart & my belief in them.

As far as how many catches he made or didn't his first 3 years, I went by memory, didn't look up stats. I remember 2009 as being the year he was highly criticized more than any other year for missing catches. I assumed 2009 to be his worst year & was speculatively analyzing why that might have been.

My point with defending Bowe is, that many fans were blaming Bowe for losing the game...bashing him terribly and saying to get rid of him. Well, realistically even without Bowe on the team the Chiefs still would've lost the game. As a team they played bad overall. Ironically, from such a biased point of view...Bowe's TD catch put the Chiefs in the position to win the game in the first place. Heck, he set himself up for fans wanting his head on a platter. Basically, had he not made a TD catch moments earlier, the Chiefs would'nt have been in a position to win. There would'nt have been a 3rd down missed catch, the last drive of the game would've been executed differently had we still been behind in score, rather than the lead after Bowes TD score.

My point with noting positive traits that make him an asset and defending him as such is...he didn't lose the game any more than many other factors and players contributed to losing the game. He did more to contribute winning the game than losing it. I'm just sayin...Bowe missed one important game changing catch...many other Chiefs misfired on important game changing plays too...yet Bowe seems to have many fans putting the loss on his shoulders alone. I'd not be defending Bowe if other Chiefs players who failed to execute important plays affecting the game negatively, were receiving the same criticisms as Bowe, but they're not. It's as if all others are forgiven for their contributing game losing errors, except Bowe.

From my perspective, right or wrong, Bowe had a possible opportunity to 'SAVE' the game, but not win or lose it, if that makes sense. Regarding saving games...Succop is the one worrying me lately, not Bowe.
    Last edited by Connie Jo; 11-12-2010 at 02:37 AM.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    It is like, easy catch, over thinking, I got this one, what can I do with it, instead of I got to catch this pass, then make a play, if I can. His focus must be catch first. This has to be something that the coaches are telling him. I do admit, that I am not sold out on Cassel yet, He burns passes, has no touch, at times, but he has gotten better.
    I tend to think you're on track with why Bowe misses easy catches. However, I wonder if possibly he 'underthinks' them, rather than 'overthinks'. It's like when playing golf & assuming an easy putt is a gimmie, so you don't pay as much attention, don't focus as much keeping your eye on the ball...you miss. There are no gimmie's putting, there are no gimmies catching passes either, lol.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    I hate to disagree with you, but Bowe had a lot of dropped passes in 08, despite a decent year overall. He dropped 13, which is one more than the 12 he dropped in 09.

I can't remember how many he had in 07. I know he dropped a few, but most of them were late in the year. Anyway, it's nothing to do with who's coaching or QBing, it's all about Bowe's concentration.

That said, I also disagree with Bowe being a #1 receiver. I know you're supportive of him, and I'm not saying kick him off the team. I think he's a #2 receiver in the league, and it's not just because of the drops. He lacks break-away speed and isn't a great route runner.
    exactly...if he could become a great route runner (assuming he stopped dropping balls as well), i could see him
    being a solid #1 possession receiver but his route running is what keeps him from getting open on a consistent basis like fitz and roddy white do...evident by his low reception count

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I like Bowe.

But you have to understand why people get so upset with him.

He is expected to catch easy passes, and even tough one's routinely.

When he drops passes that would have such a major impact in a game, and adds to the criticism of his quarterback, (who is having a better year than Bowe) fans are going to take notice.

And when it happens frequently, the frustration will pile up.

Alot of WRs have had problems while young, only to solve them and become consistent, top-notch WRs.

I definitely don't want to see him shipped out. But I understand the frustration that many have with him.
    I do understand why they're upset, and I get upset with Bowe when he doesn't make those catches too. I agree he is expected to make them, and should make most, especially knowing he has the ability to make them. My upset is more related to his being solely blamed for the loss, many fans wanting to be rid of him as a Chief, bashing and calling him names...which I think is unfair, & undeserved, respectively. I believe he is an asset and attempted to point out why, all the positive contributions he makes to the Chiefs, including with winning games.

Considering how horrible many of the Chiefs played against the Raiders, and as a team overall, they deserved to lose that game, as a team, but not because of Bowe. The Raiders deserved to lose too, the Chiefs could've, and should've taken advantage of how bad the Raiders were playing, but instead they played just as bad. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Vandelay View Post
    What's really frustrates me about Bowe is he doesn't seem to ever make the clutch play. If the Chiefs were up by 3 TDs, or down 3TDs, he would have made that catch with 2 min. to go, but it was a game clincher, and he drops it. That play cost the Chiefs a huge road win, and was a two game swing in the division.
    I do understand your point of view and why you see it that way. Where I differ is that I don't believe Bowe's missed catch cost the Chiefs a huge road win. I believe the Chiefs team cost themselves a huge road win, and many players contributed to that loss, coaches too, not just Bowe.

Bowe had an opportunity to SAVE the game, that numerous errors from many Chiefs put him in a position to save. He was expected to make up for everyone elses mistakes, save the day. He didn't lose the game, he simply didn't come through as the hero and save it.

That's my point of view anyway...right or wrong...wouldn't be the first time I was wrong defending someone, hahaha. :)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast