Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 51

Thread: Lets talk about the O-line

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    2,997
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 118
    Given: 4

    Default Lets talk about the O-line


    0 Not allowed!
    Yes, I know the Chiefs offense was the top ranked rushing team, and yes Cassel has hardly been sacked. However, I find it very odd that the Chiefs can rarely get short yardage when it is needed. So much that the Chiefs have started to throw more on 3 and 2 than they do on 3rd and 6.

    I have seen Brian Waters get his butt kicked two weeks in a row. I mean horribly kicked. Our Right Tackels no longer can block anyone, and Brandon Albert is getting beat often.

    The offensive line is to inconsitent and I tend to think that the only reason they have not been completely exposed is due to the running style of Charles and the play calling by Weis.

    While I see people arleady claiming to draft a WR, and OLB , safety or a new corner. This o-line is not sound, and is old in two positions. We had better be looking at up upgrades next year.

  2. #31
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I know for a fact Okung has missed playing time on two seperate occasioms this year. This has to make you wonder about his durability.

    Looking ahead to next years draft. Yhere will not be an NFL quality LT available when we draft. We should be able to ger a good RT in the 2nd rd however.
    I expect us to go WR, OLB or CB in the 1st rd.

    ALPERT IS PLAYING AT A PRO BOWL LEVEL. STATS PROVE IT.
    The injuries to Okung were because his own teammates needlessly roll-blocked into his ankles from his blindside. A lesser man probably would have had his ankles broken both times. Has nothing to do with his durability.\

    Stats prove that Albert is playing at a Pro Bowl level? That's a crock of BS. What I've seen watching the games is that he's OK to a point, but not Pro Bowl caliber.

    S

  3. #32
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    One more comment: If "Albert or any other OT more than likely would have given up the sack on that play as well", then I have to wonder why teams don't just zone blitz every play? Then when the line figures it out, start sending the defensive end instead and he'll have a clear path to the QB b/c the tackle will pick up the LB. That's a silly assumption to say that nobody can defend that play.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  4. #33
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    You seem to make every excuse in the world for Okung, but when it comes to Albert (or Berry), they can't have that same courtesy.

    It's a zone blitz, Okung has to react to the blitzing linebacker as soon as the defender drops back. I can't say whether or not Albert would pick this up, but I'm going to assume for now that at least once this year he's faced a similar situation and reacted fine.
    Nope, not making excuses, simply just stating what happened on the play. He guessed wrong and it gave Varoba had a clean shot at the QB. Truth is he didn't beat Okung head to head, unlike the way Kampman and freeney did repeatedly to Albert. When he's played, Okung has performed well enough that nobody needs to make excuses for him. Wish the same could be said for Berry and Albert ( but I'm not the one trying to make excuses for them, now am I ? ).

  5. #34
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Nope, not making excuses, simply just stating what happened on the play. He guessed wrong and it gave Varoba had a clean shot at the QB. Truth is he didn't beat Okung head to head, unlike the way Kampman and freeney did repeatedly to Albert. When he's played, Okung has performed well enough that nobody needs to make excuses for him. Wish the same could be said for Berry and Albert ( but I'm not the one trying to make excuses for them, now am I ? ).
    Like the play that James Hall abused him on...

    I'm not trying to say Albert is or will ever be a better LT than Okung. It's hard to qualify who is a better left tackle. Simply pointing out that I think your view that Albert "has not improved at all" and has "peaked" in his 3rd season is extremely flawed. The guy just turned 26 years old. I also think it's flawed that your view that because Okung had a good game against Julius Peppers (who is having a miserable season since he got his payday) that he's not going to get beat by the best DE's in the game. Jared Allen didn't do much in the Vikings game against Lions LT David Diehl despite the Lions throwing the ball 43 times...Should we crown Jeff Backus?
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-17-2010 at 11:26 AM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  6. #35
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Like the play that James Hall abused him on...

    I'm not trying to say Albert is or will ever be a better LT than Okung. It's hard to qualify who is a better left tackle. Simply pointing out that I think your view that Albert "has not improved at all" and has "peaked" in his 3rd season is extremely flawed.
    You are right Hall did beat Okung on that play with an inside move. If I were to list those type of occurrences that happened to Albert it would be quite a long list. If Okung plays and gets his head handed to him in any of the upcoming games, I'll be the first to let you know.

    I stand by what I said that Albert has "peaked" as you put it. I really believe that is the case. You can call it flawed if you wish, but the results that I've seen on the field the last 3 years tell me differently.

  7. #36
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Milwaukee
    Posts
    2,959
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 60
    Given: 22

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Yes, they do need a LT. Albert was Guard in college and the better DE's beat him resoundingly. Just look what the Jags Aaron Kampman & the Colts Dwight Freeney did against Albert. They beat him silly and were getting constant pressure on Cassel. Albert would be better served at either LG or RT. If you're willing to stick with Albert as the LT, then you can forget about any post-season success ( assuming the Chiefs ever make it there ) as those are the type of DE's that he would have to face.
    The Saints had not trouble winning a Super Bowl last year with a backup LT.

    Anyways, I concede. Good healthy argument...Thanks! Go Chiefs!
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-17-2010 at 11:33 AM.
    Diehard Fan Living in Packer Territory

    Co-Founder: 2 Mugs Fantasy Football -- a site about and football!

  8. #37
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,854
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 78

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I did not say that Okung did not mistake, nor was I making an excuse for him. I was simply stating what happened on that play. He guessed wrong, but there's a good chance that any OT would have guessed wrong on that play with the same result. You are ripping things out of context. The draft pick examples you are giving are not good ones at all and not even close to the same scenario regarding the Chiefs 2010 draft. Not even in the ballpark

    Pioli wasn't the reason that NE won 3 Super Bowls. It's Belicheck who was the major catalyst. Pioli was just along for the ride & didn't do anything sifnificant, except maybe carry his lunch to work everyday in a Donald Duck lunchbox.
    So you talk how Berry is "a clone of mike Brown" YOUR WORDS but when Okung gets beat you say well every nfl O lineman would have given up a sack on that play. Well EVERY safety will make mistakes.
    You say Berry was a bad pick AFTER 9 games. I point out That Manning was not so great his rookie year how is that not a fair compareison? Because it doesn't support your arguement. All it says is that NFL Players don't make an impact or play at there best a year ago meaning that again after 9 NFL games it's far to early to say that Berry was a bad pick. I went 16 games with my manning comparisson giveing him even more games. If berry is a bad pick after 9 games under your logic that he has not made a huge impact then so was the pick of Peyton Manning. The fact is your judeging a pick after 9 NFL games. I am useing that same logic with some hall of fame plays how is that not a fair comparrison? Manning became a Hall of fame player. Berry COULD do the same he might not we don't no now. We just have to wait and see. IF and yes that's a big if Berry does become that hall of fame player is it a bad pick then?

    If Pioli did not have much to do then why is it that EVERYONE you here from in the NFL has so much respect for him? I never said that he did it by himself but he was a part of it.

  9. #38
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The Saints had not trouble winning a Super Bowl last year with a backup LT.

    Anyways, I concede. Good healthy argument...Thanks! Go Chiefs!
    True, about the Saints Bushrod, the backup OT that you speak of. He's now a starter for them and pretty good one.

    I hope that you and matthewschiefs turn out to be right, and Albert and Berry turn out to be Pro Bowler -- I'd really dig that. But they have to go out and do it on the field first.

  10. #39
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,854
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 78

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    True, about the Saints Bushrod, the backup OT that you speak of. He's now a starter for them and pretty good one.

    I hope that you and matthewschiefs turn out to be right, and Albert and Berry turn out to be Pro Bowler -- I'd really dig that. But they have to go out and do it on the field first.
    I hope we are right to. Berry can turn out to be a great player he can turn out to be a bust. I just think we as fans owe it to our team to let it play out on the field and let things happen. But hopefully next year this is something we all look back on and laugh at because of how well we are playing on the field.

  11. #40
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,318
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 602
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    So you talk how Berry is "a clone of mike Brown" YOUR WORDS but when Okung gets beat you say well every nfl O lineman would have given up a sack on that play. Well EVERY safety will make mistakes.
    You say Berry was a bad pick AFTER 9 games. I point out That Manning was not so great his rookie year how is that not a fair compareison? Because it doesn't support your arguement. All it says is that NFL Players don't make an impact or play at there best a year ago meaning that again after 9 NFL games it's far to early to say that Berry was a bad pick. I went 16 games with my manning comparisson giveing him even more games. If berry is a bad pick after 9 games under your logic that he has not made a huge impact then so was the pick of Peyton Manning. The fact is your judeging a pick after 9 NFL games. I am useing that same logic with some hall of fame plays how is that not a fair comparrison? Manning became a Hall of fame player. Berry COULD do the same he might not we don't no now. We just have to wait and see. IF and yes that's a big if Berry does become that hall of fame player is it a bad pick then?

    If Pioli did not have much to do then why is it that EVERYONE you here from in the NFL has so much respect for him? I never said that he did it by himself but he was a part of it.
    You are comparing apples to oranges when you speak of Berry and Manning. If they played the same position, that would be one thing. But as I've said before I've seen many rookie Safeties play better than he has thus far. There are those out there that are labeling Berry to be a major disappointment thus far & let's not kid ourselves -- he has been. He's been nowhere close to being as good as I had hoped for in pass coverage.

    As for Okung, what happened on that sack, yes that could have happened to any OT if they had guessed wrong. Go look at the play and you can clearly see that.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 11-17-2010 at 12:19 PM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. lets not all talk at once
    By diehardchieffan in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-13-2010, 01:26 AM
  2. Is our defensive line worse then our Offensive Line?
    By figcrostic in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 12:35 AM
  3. Lets all take a breather...
    By Rodgers4MVP in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
  4. Lets TALK CHIEFS!! Have a glass of Koolaid too!!
    By BarryinStlouis in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
  5. Finally, a little smack-talk for the "smack-talk" forum.
    By chief31 in forum The Locker Room
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2007, 11:03 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •