Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about the O-line

Default Lets talk about the O-line

Yes, I know the Chiefs offense was the top ranked rushing team, and yes Cassel has hardly been sacked. However, I find it very odd that the Chiefs can rarely get short yardage when it is needed. So much that the Chiefs have started to throw more on 3 and 2 than they do on 3rd and 6.

I have seen Brian Waters get his butt kicked two weeks in a row. I mean horribly kicked. Our Right Tackels no longer can block anyone, and Brandon Albert is getting beat often.

The offensive line is to inconsitent and I tend to think that the only reason they have not been completely exposed is due to the running style of Charles and the play calling by Weis.

While I see people arleady claiming to draft a WR, and OLB , safety or a new corner. This o-line is not sound, and is old in two positions. We had better be looking at up upgrades next year.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You are comparing apples to oranges when you speak of Berry and Manning. If they played the same position, that would be one thing. But as I've said before I've seen many rookie Safeties play better than he has thus far. There are those out there that are labeling Berry to be a major disappointment thus far & let's not kid ourselves -- he has been. He's been nowhere close to being as good as I had hoped for in pass coverage.

As for Okung, what happened on that sack, yes that could have happened to any OT if they had guessed wrong. Go look at the play and you can clearly see that.
    I am not trying to compare postions what I am saying is that even a great player like Peyton Manning turned out to be will sometimes struggle his rookie season. There have been QBS that have had better rookie years then Manning to and Manning would be the clear choice over them now. Judgeing a player in there rookie season is not the way to go. Berry has done nothing to make him a bad pick to date. He has done nothing to make his pick look great. Time will tell if he was a good pick or not.

I can say the same thing about some of Berrys mistakes as you do Okungs. First game for example. Eric Berry is not the first person that Gates has made look like a fool he won't be the last. And safety could have given that TD up to Gates. Berry gave up the TD woulda coulda shoulda it happens alot in the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I am not trying to compare postions what I am saying is that even a great player like Peyton Manning turned out to be will sometimes struggle his rookie season. There have been QBS that have had better rookie years then Manning to and Manning would be the clear choice over them now. Judgeing a player in there rookie season is not the way to go. Berry has done nothing to make him a bad pick to date. He has done nothing to make his pick look great. Time will tell if he was a good pick or not.
    On the contrary, I can and will judge Berry on his rookie season & hereforth -- because he proclaimed himself the best player in the draft and brags about being the highest paid safety in NFL history on his own website. Plus, the fact that myself and others that suggested we'd prefer a LT prior to the 2010 draft received all kinds of flames from the Eric Berry worshipers on various websites ( not this one ). As I said before, I'd love for him to become a Pro Bowler and it could happen. But by the same token, he could become a major bust & what we've seen thus far indicates the latter. We will see in upcoming seasons.

If you chose not to judge him by his rookie season or upcoming seasons hereforth, that's your discretion.

On the contrary, I can and will judge Berry on his rookie season & hereforth -- because he proclaimed himself the best player in the draft and brags about being the highest paid safety in NFL history on his own website. Plus, the fact that myself and others that suggested we'd prefer a LT prior to the 2010 draft received all kinds of flames from the Eric Berry worshipers on various websites ( not this one ). As I said before, I'd love for him to become a Pro Bowler and it could happen. But by the same token, he could become a major bust & what we've seen thus far indicates the latter. We will see in upcoming seasons.

If you chose not to judge him by his rookie season or upcoming seasons hereforth, that's your discretion.

Bad choice of words there by me. I ment you can't judge a pick in there first year. There have been MANY players that have had bad rookie years and ended up being really good. Some 1st overall picks even. Why I used Manning as an example. They have later shown that it was the right move to take them. Berry can do the same. I don't think Berry has been anything close to being a bust. Is he what a lot of people thought he would be no. But I think there expectations were a little higher then they should have been for him. Our defense has for the most part (the last game is not included in that) has been much better then a year ago. I think that Berry is a part of that.

I again was not one screaming that we needed Eric Berry. I have no problem with saying that he was not the best pick for this team. Because I stated in many threads that I felt we needed pass rush and o line help more then safety. That being said we drafted Berry I will now give him time to prove me wrong and to prove that he was indeed the best pick for this team. Will it Happen I don't no. I hope so. But We just have to wait and see.

Bad choice of words there by me. I ment you can't judge a pick in there first year. There have been MANY players that have had bad rookie years and ended up being really good. Some 1st overall picks even. Why I used Manning as an example. They have later shown that it was the right move to take them. Berry can do the same. I don't think Berry has been anything close to being a bust. Is he what a lot of people thought he would be no. But I think there expectations were a little higher then they should have been for him. Our defense has for the most part (the last game is not included in that) has been much better then a year ago. I think that Berry is a part of that.

I again was not one screaming that we needed Eric Berry. I have no problem with saying that he was not the best pick for this team. Because I stated in many threads that I felt we needed pass rush and o line help more then safety. That being said we drafted Berry I will now give him time to prove me wrong and to prove that he was indeed the best pick for this team. Will it Happen I don't no. I hope so. But We just have to wait and see.
    Agreed. everything you said was correct there. My problem is I've had a bad feeling about Eric Berry being selected all along that I haven't been able to shake off ( I even have one of his jerseys ) and it gets even worse seeing what's been happening on the field. I can't explain it other than a gut feeling.

Agreed. everything you said was correct there. My problem is I've had a bad feeling about Eric Berry being selected all along that I haven't been able to shake off ( I even have one of his jerseys ) and it gets even worse seeing what's been happening on the field. I can't explain it other than a gut feeling.

I get those gut feelings as well alls you can do is hope Berry makes that gut feeling go away in the years to come.

I get those gut feelings as well alls you can do is hope Berry makes that gut feeling go away in the years to come.
    Let's go back on topic with O-Line and forget about Albert, Okung, etc. What about Center? 1st round too high? Maybe 2nd round ( Tim Grunhard was a great 2nd round pick in 1990 )?

I'd like some opinions on this because it is a big-time need for the O-Line.

Let's go back on topic with O-Line and forget about Albert, Okung, etc. What about Center? 1st round too high? Maybe 2nd round ( Tim Grunhard was a great 2nd round pick in 1990 )?

2nd or 3rd round for center, I'm hoping for OLB with out first

Yeah Weigman is getting old, how about Kris O'Dowd?

Quote Originally Posted by rodu View Post
    2nd or 3rd round for center, I'm hoping for OLB with out first
    Preferably an OLB that can rush the passer opposite Hali. Of course maybe Studebaker or Cameron Sheffield can step up to be that guy, but either way the Chiefs need a better pass rush. Any secondary without a pass-rush is going to get exposed. They can draft DB's in the 1st round till they're blue in the face, but without a pass rush, it won't matter -- case in point: 1984 -1988 when they has Lewis-Ross-Burruss-Cherry and those guys suffered without a pass rush. I'd say 2nd round is probably right for a Center.

figcrostic, I'll have to do some research on O'Dowd or maybe you can provide a link. Weisnewski from Penn State seems to be the most talked about Center candidate.

Preferably an OLB that can rush the passer opposite Hali. Of course maybe Studebaker or Cameron Sheffield can step up to be that guy, but either way the Chiefs need a better pass rush. Any secondary without a pass-rush is going to get exposed. They can draft DB's in the 1st round till they're blue in the face, but without a pass rush, it won't matter -- case in point: 1984 -1988 when they has Lewis-Ross-Burruss-Cherry and those guys suffered without a pass rush. I'd say 2nd round is probably right for a Center.

figcrostic, I'll have to do some research on O'Dowd or maybe you can provide a link. Weisnewski from Penn State seems to be the most talked about Center candidate.
    Player Bio: Kristofer O'Dowd - University of Southern California Official Athletic Site

hard to get any video since he's a center

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast