Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about the O-line

Default Lets talk about the O-line

Yes, I know the Chiefs offense was the top ranked rushing team, and yes Cassel has hardly been sacked. However, I find it very odd that the Chiefs can rarely get short yardage when it is needed. So much that the Chiefs have started to throw more on 3 and 2 than they do on 3rd and 6.

I have seen Brian Waters get his butt kicked two weeks in a row. I mean horribly kicked. Our Right Tackels no longer can block anyone, and Brandon Albert is getting beat often.

The offensive line is to inconsitent and I tend to think that the only reason they have not been completely exposed is due to the running style of Charles and the play calling by Weis.

While I see people arleady claiming to draft a WR, and OLB , safety or a new corner. This o-line is not sound, and is old in two positions. We had better be looking at up upgrades next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Guys, we don't need a freaking LT. What we DO need is a center and another guard. Maybe a RT if B-Rich doesn't improve any.
    Yes, they do need a LT. Albert was Guard in college and the better DE's beat him resoundingly. Just look what the Jags Aaron Kampman & the Colts Dwight Freeney did against Albert. They beat him silly and were getting constant pressure on Cassel. Albert would be better served at either LG or RT. If you're willing to stick with Albert as the LT, then you can forget about any post-season success ( assuming the Chiefs ever make it there ) as those are the type of DE's that he would have to face.

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Guys, we don't need a freaking LT. What we DO need is a center and another guard. Maybe a RT if B-Rich doesn't improve any.
    I tend to agree with this. Albert continues to improve at the position, and it seems like Pioli would agree with this statement. I remember last year when Brian Waters was raving about how good Albert was playing. A lot of the sacks given up by the O-line are just wide receivers not getting open. I think we should look to improve there first and it will make everyone look better. I have been encouraged by what I've seen from Bowe, but everyone after that is nobody to brag home to mom about.

I don't think Julius Peppers is the best gauge for dominating Defensive Ends. He has 2 sacks this year through 9 games. Those sacks came against Jeff Backus (arguably one of the worst LT's in the league) and David Diehl of the Giants (also pretty bad).
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-16-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I tend to agree with this. Albert continues to improve at the position, and it seems like Pioli would agree with this statement. I remember last year when Brian Waters was raving about how good Albert was playing. A lot of the sacks given up by the O-line are just wide receivers not getting open. I think we should look to improve there first and it will make everyone look better. I have been encouraged by what I've seen from Bowe, but everyone after that is nobody to brag home to mom about.

I don't think Julius Peppers is the best gauge for dominating Defensive Ends. He has 2 sacks this year through 9 games. Those sacks came against Jeff Backus (arguably one of the worst LT's in the league) and David Diehl of the Giants (also pretty bad).
    No, Albert is not improving at the LT position -- he's been there for 3 years and is as good as he is going to get at that position & it isn't good enough. And I don't care if Pioli thinks he's improving or what Brian Waters says. Waters has been singing the same song for the last 4 years about nothing being wrong with the O-Line, when anybody who's watched them can clearly see otherwise. Could it be that Waters was afraid of losing his roster spot if the Chiefs had drafted Russell Okung? Quite frankly, Waters is washed up and I'm looking forward to his departure.

And regarding Peppers, he is one of the better pass rushers in the game, even if he does have only 2 sacks, he still has put a lot of pressure on opposing QB's & I'll bet he'd whip Albert.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No, Albert is not improving at the LT position -- he's been there for 3 years and is as good as he is going to get at that position & it isn't good enough. And I don't care if Pioli thinks he's improving or what Brian Waters says. Waters has been singing the same song for the last 4 years about nothing being wrong with the O-Line, when anybody who's watched them can clearly see otherwise. Could it be that Waters was afraid of losing his roster spot if the Chiefs had drafted Russell Okung? Quite frankly, Waters is washed up and I'm looking forward to his departure.

And regarding Peppers, he is one of the better pass rushers in the game, even if he does have only 2 sacks, he still has put a lot of pressure on opposing QB's & I'll bet he'd whip Albert.
    Your arguments are based on hypotheticals and assume that Peppers has been playing at the same elite level he always has. The Bears are 29th in the league in sacks, so it's not like he's taking double teams and freeing up other guys to sack the quarterback either.

The fact of the matter is you cited two guys in Kampman and Freeney who are among the the best defenesive ends in the league. Albert gave up 1 sack total between these guys. If you look at the majority of the sacks given up by the Chiefs this year they've come from coverage and Cassel having to hold onto the ball too long. Two sacks through 9 games, that's better than a whole lot of teams can say of their LT position. Your boy Okung has allowed that in 3 games. But I guess since he shut down the almighty Julius Peppers he's the best LT ever.

I was probably the first to complain about our first OL draft pick going in the 3rd round. However, considering how good our draft was, I wouldn't change a thing.

Lilja and Wiegmann have worked out better than I thought but we still need help up front. Wiegmann is 37 and Waters is 33. O'Callaghan is a bit of a weak link.

We'll learn a lot about the talent we have in the upcoming weeks. I'm sure there will be some surprises.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Your arguments are based on hypotheticals and assume that Peppers has been playing at the same elite level he always has. The Bears are 29th in the league in sacks, so it's not like he's taking double teams and freeing up other guys to sack the quarterback either.

The fact of the matter is you cited two guys in Kampman and Freeney who are among the the best defenesive ends in the league. Albert gave up 1 sack total between these guys. If you look at the majority of the sacks given up by the Chiefs this year they've come from coverage and Cassel having to hold onto the ball too long. Two sacks through 9 games, that's better than a whole lot of teams can say of their LT position. Your boy Okung has allowed that in 3 games. But I guess since he shut down the almighty Julius Peppers he's the best LT ever.
    Okung has not given up any sacks. Where are you getting your info from? There was one close one against the Rams, but it was ruled an incomplete pass. I never said Okung was the best LT ever -- don't be putting words in my mouth and ripping things out of context, it just makes you look stupid -- I said he was better than Albert and the Chiefs should have drafted him. Albert gave up a lot pressures to Kampman and Freeney which would have been sacks had Cassel not thrown the ball away. He's been a beneficiary of a soft schedule and more often than not playing against teams that don't have stellar pass rushers coming at him. 2 sacks given up against mostly the nosebleeds of the NFL --BIG DEAL !!.

I guess an LT isn't good enough for our team unless he never gives up a sack in his whole career!

I'm sorry for that kind of statement, but bashing a guy for giving up a sack or two against some pretty good DEs and LBs is kind of silly.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Okung would have fit in just fine, just like Willie Roaf did when he was brought in 2002, even though the Chiefs had 1999 #1 pick John Tait playing LT ( and he was a better LT than Albert, BTW ). I've watched Okung and when he's been healthy, he's been a real stud. He handled Julius Peppers like a champ and he did not make mistakes.

Berry has done nothing to justify being drafted at #5 overall. He's made no impact in the Chiefs pass defense & has been a pigeon for WR's and TE's that are skilled route runners. Just look what Jabar Gaffney did to him on Denvers 3rd TD of the game. He beat Berry by 5 miles. Sorry, but to say that Berry's done nothing to make him a bad pick at #5 overall just isn't true.

The Chiefs would have been better off to resign Page & draft Okung.
    First off you THINK Okung would have fit in fine. We DON'T And WILL NEVER really no

Your saying Berry was a bad pick after 9 games? Not even one year to get adjusted to the NFL. In his 1st year Peyton Manning threw 28 picks to 26 tds. Under your judgment he was a bad pick for the colts. Go tell that to a colts fan. Hell in his first couple of games Ryan leaf looked like an impact QB so that means that was a good pick for the Chargers right? It's far to early to tell weather or not Berry was a good pick. It takes TIME for players to devolpe. It's rare that a ROOKIE comes in and makes an impact right away.

I was before the draft right with you saying that we should have picked on the lines. I didn't think that a safety would help this team much. I think Berry has made an impact. We are not seeing our defensive backfield miss tackles they should make a much as we did a season ago. Berry has been blamed for a lot but he was not the only one on those plays that failed. Berry has been fine given time he can be great. But you HAVE TO give him time to devolpe into an NFL player.

Branden Albert - 2 False Start, 2 Holding, 2 Sacks
    Jake Long - 2 False Start, 2 Holding, 2 Sacks
    Ryan Clady - 1 False Start, 1 Holding, 4.5 Sacks
    Joe Thomas - 2 False Start, 2 Holding, 2 Sacks
    D'Brickashaw Ferguson - 2 False Start, 2 Holding, 2 Sacks
    Michael Roos - 0 Penalties, 4 sacks
    Trent Williams - 1 False Start, 3 Holding, 5.50 sacks (7 Games)
    Russell Okung - 0 Penalties, 2 Sacks (3 Games)

You can sit here and argue with me all day that Albert sucks, I'm not going to believe it. I wish I could find stats on quarterback pressures but had no luck. But in 2 big categories that matter (penalties and sacks) he's up there with the best LT's in the league. Not to mention he blocks for the top rushing team in the league as well.

Just b/c our LT gets beat by All-Pro guys like Aaron Kampman or Dwight Freeney doesn't mean it's time to get a new LT. Did he suck last year? Absolutely. Is he showing tremendous improvement? Absolutely.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-16-2010 at 07:49 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast