They Have To Know You Care, Chiefs Coach Todd Haley Says

by Joel Thorman on Nov 20, 2010 12:00 PM CST in 2010 Kansas City Chiefs Season

More photos » Charlie Riedel - AP

Browse more photos »

Kansas City Chiefs head coach Todd Haley talked with his old friends in Arizona this week appearing on XTRA Sports 910 in Phoenix with Bickley and MJ, We've been talking this week about Bill Parcells and his influence as a coach, particularly in Kansas City.

Haley pointed out on the radio show one critical point of his and Parcells' coaching style: They have to know you care.

"When you do coach the way that I coach -- and obviously there's a lot of different ways to do it -- but I'm pretty clear of the way I go about getting the most out of my players. When you're dealing with a small position group they figure out a little quicker sometimes, because you're around them every day on a more intimate basis, that you do really care.
"The key in the methodology of coaching the way I coach is that the players have to know you care. When you're dealing with the entire team, early on they can kinda see you as a tyrant a little bit. I think that's what's gone on. As the guys have come to figure me out a little bit, that I do relay have their best interest in mind, and I do really care, and I do want them to be the best, then you can start to make some progress."
It's amazing how much things make sense when you're looking in hindsight. The more we read about Haley and his coaching style, the more we think of Bill Parcells, and the more I think he has the right formula.
"Coaching is pressing, pushing, prodding, and knowing when to back off and give the guys a little love also."
Take a guess at who said that: Todd Haley or Bill Parcells?