Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Flawless game for Cassel

Default Another Flawless game for Cassel

Might as well get rid of him next year.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm sure they said the same thing about Tom Brady in 2001....
    WOW are you serious. Other then talking about who was Bradys backup Cassel and Brady shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence. I would love to eat my words but Cassel will never be an average QB in this league. He just doesnt have the QB intelligence he doesnt make reads, he doesnt understand progressions or what is needed on third down. Takes too long to make decisions and takes a lot of sacks because of it. He is very good at managing and he doesnt give up the ball often which is good. The passing game was good today but it wasnt because Cassel did anything spectacular, if anything this is good play calling and good MANAGEMENT by Cassel. We will never win a game if it is placed on Cassels shoulders, but this is a team game so maybe I am asking too much. I just want a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Brett Favre (several years ago), what Carson Palmer could or should be (not what he is), What Jay Cutler was and should be but isnt possibly because of the rest of the offense. I just cant stand mediocre QBs that can only manage the game. I want someone that can go out there and grab the game and win it when the rest of the team has an average or below average day. We have the playmakers we just need that little extra uuumph. And btw I am not one of those that only complain I do love where this year is going and do think Cassel isnt the worst we could do I just feel that QB is the position that can single handedly take over games and I dont think Cassel has the ability to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by McLovin View Post
    WOW are you serious. Other then talking about who was Bradys backup Cassel and Brady shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence. I would love to eat my words but Cassel will never be an average QB in this league. He just doesnt have the QB intelligence he doesnt make reads, he doesnt understand progressions or what is needed on third down. Takes too long to make decisions and takes a lot of sacks because of it. He is very good at managing and he doesnt give up the ball often which is good. The passing game was good today but it wasnt because Cassel did anything spectacular, if anything this is good play calling and good MANAGEMENT by Cassel. We will never win a game if it is placed on Cassels shoulders, but this is a team game so maybe I am asking too much. I just want a Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Brett Favre (several years ago), what Carson Palmer could or should be (not what he is), What Jay Cutler was and should be but isnt possibly because of the rest of the offense. I just cant stand mediocre QBs that can only manage the game. I want someone that can go out there and grab the game and win it when the rest of the team has an average or below average day. We have the playmakers we just need that little extra uuumph. And btw I am not one of those that only complain I do love where this year is going and do think Cassel isnt the worst we could do I just feel that QB is the position that can single handedly take over games and I dont think Cassel has the ability to do that.
    Cassel is playing above avarge NOW. Just look at the numbers. Cassel is getting the job done. Just becuse Cassel won't take the game over doesn't mean anything with this team. We ask him to not lose games thats all. And he's doing it.

I think the point is, week after week folks on here are constantly on Cassel. Not just riding him but more or less saying he has no chance... just no chance. Or even worse...

Well actually yes he does. He's playing in the league while none of us are, what do we know about the insides of Pro Football actually.... very little. Personally I was disappointed in his signing when it happened but I accepted it and hoped our management knew what they were doing.

He's not Sam Bradford whom I hoped we would have gotten but even though he's doing good in St. Lou, he's not quaranteed to be the next great QB... nobody is.

So that comes back to the point. Haters gonna hate no matter what. I think sometimes it has more to do with people just having to be right.
    Last edited by KristofLaw; 11-21-2010 at 04:48 PM.

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Cassel is playing above avarge NOW. Just look at the numbers. Cassel is getting the job done. Just becuse Cassel won't take the game over doesn't mean anything with this team. We ask him to not lose games thats all. And he's doing it.
    If we are just asking him not to lose games then I would have to agree that he is doing his job. Problem is that isnt what I want I want him above anyone else on the team to go out and win games. He had great stats today but he still stared down his first receiver on far too many passes and threw to his first choice. Today that worked on and it might work in about half or our games right now, I am just afraid that teams are going to start catching on and just go to where he is looking and his INTs will go through the roof.

I've already had an argument in another thread of why Cassel "could be" as good as Brady. I'm not saying he is, but you've already written him off. If the defense hadn't stepped up for Brady in 2001, what if the Pats would have written him off? Statistically he wasn't anywhere near what Cassel is doing this year. Cassel stepped into a Pats team and went 11-5 and was unfortunate to get not get a playoff bid with that record. He could have won a Super Bowl had they made the playoffs though.

Brady is a "system" quarterback, that's what Weis and Haley are developing Matt into. He's been one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year.

And the part of I bolded in your quote, you don't ask for much do you??? If you want one of those guys go jump on that team's bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post
    I think the point is, week after week folks on here are constantly on Cassel. Not just riding him but more or less saying he has no chance... just no chance. Or even worse...

Well actually yes he does. He's playing in the league while none of us are, what do we know about the insides of Pro Football actually.... very little. Personally I was disappointed in his signing when it happened but I accepted it and hoped our management knew what they were doing.

He's not Sam Bradford whom I hoped we would have gotten but even though he's doing good in St. Lou, he's not quaranteed to be the next great QB... nobody is.

So that comes back to the point. Haters gonna hate no matter what. I think sometimes it has more to do with people just having to be right.
    At this point right now, he is better than Sam Bradford.

If we are just asking him not to lose games then I would have to agree that he is doing his job. Problem is that isnt what I want I want him above anyone else on the team to go out and win games. He had great stats today but he still stared down his first receiver on far too many passes and threw to his first choice. Today that worked on and it might work in about half or our games right now, I am just afraid that teams are going to start catching on and just go to where he is looking and his INTs will go through the roof.
    I am pretty sure if he was stareing down recivers like you think NFL coaches would have picked that up by now. I don't see him stareing down people. And I was not on board with Matt Cassel at the start of the season. I was giveing him a shot but was far from sold on him. Hell I even suggest we go with brodie for a week once this year. But Matt Cassel is getting better. I look forward to him being a Chief next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I've already had an argument in another thread of why Cassel "could be" as good as Brady. I'm not saying he is, but you've already written him off. If the defense hadn't stepped up for Brady in 2001, what if the Pats would have written him off? Statistically he wasn't anywhere near what Cassel is doing this year. Cassel stepped into a Pats team and went 11-5 and was unfortunate to get not get a playoff bid with that record. He could have won a Super Bowl had they made the playoffs though.

Brady is a "system" quarterback, that's what Weis and Haley are developing Matt into. He's been one of the best quarterbacks in the league this year.

And the part of I bolded in your quote, you don't ask for much do you??? If you want one of those guys go jump on that team's bandwagon.

Not to mention that in 08 the pats offense did not seem to be bad at all when Cassel was starting with the same team. how quickly we forget that.

WOW are you serious. Other then talking about who was Bradys backup Cassel and Brady shouldnt even be mentioned in the same sentence.
    Cassel is having almost as good a season as Brady.

Tom Brady
    64.5% Completions, 2,176 yards, 17 TDs, 4 INTs, 7.2 Average, 98.8 QB Rating.

Matt Cassel
    59.2% Completions, 1,881 yards, 16 TDs, 4 INTs, 7.0 average, 94.5 QB Rating.

No matter what you think about it, if the results are 6-4, first place in the division, and numbers like those....

...there is really nothing to complain about.

(Those stats are all prior to today's games.)

Myself, I was against the Cassel trade. I was against the contract extension. I was against pinning our hopes on him for this season. I doubted that he would even survive this season.

I was wrong on all accounts, to this point.

But I am no fool.

I see what is happening, and I like it.

And, if it continues, the rest of you will too.

If not for a couple of terrible mistakes by refs and a couple of key dropped passes, this QB would be already notched in for a home playoff game, and looking for a playoff bye.

No NFL QB gets away with staring down his receivers consistently.

I can't even begin to count how many times we have seen him check-down to alternates, only to have fans complaining about short passes.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast