Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

Default Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

By JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Source: KC Star

Good coaching staffs know how to “take the crowd out of the game” with a solid game plan. But taking your own home crowd out of the game? That’s pretty much what the Chiefs’ ultraconservative game plan appeared to do Sunday. The Arrhowhead faithful were ready to roar and devour the Vikings, but the Chiefs’ run-first offensive approach only served to diminish the Arrowhead magic, and thus keep the Vikings in the game.
    •••
    “Here comes a growling Arrowhead ...”
    | Mitch Holthus, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network.
    JF: This was a rare moment in the second half when the crowd had reason to get loud and intimidate the Vikings’ offense. It should have been like that the entire game.
    •••
    “You’re going to get the entire state of Minnesota in the (defensive) box on this play.”
    | Holthus, as the Chiefs lined up for a third and short and then ran the ball.
    “There’s no mystery out there … If the running game isn’t going, pass the ball.”
    | Len Dawson, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network
    “That’s doing it the hard way.”
    | Dawson, after Larry Johnson picked up a first down even though the Vikings employed nine players in the box.
    “You’ve got to change up. You’ve got to play-pass once in a while. They play-passed on the first play of the game, and it was open.”
    | Dawson
    JF: Win or no win, Chiefs fans are going to continue to howl about the play-calling, and with good reason.
    •••
    “What else can go wrong?”
    | Dawson, somewhat disgustedly after the Chiefs lined up to punt after a three-and-out and drew a false-start flag.
    Ty Law didn’t even touch him. Wow. You’ve got to turn the runner inside.”
    | Dawson after the Vikings’ first-quarter touchdown, an 11-yard run by Adrian Peterson
    “Did you see (Peterson) freeze Ty Law? Once a runner can get a corner to stop his feet … Ty Law isn’t the quickest anymore … once he stopped his feet, he’s done. He’s dead.”
    | Jayice Pearson, Fox game analyst
    “You’re seeing a lot of indecision by Damon Huard as he goes back to pass.”
    | Pearson
    JF: Maybe Huard was simply stunned whenever a pass play was sent in.
    •••
    “That sure looked like a touchdown. Wow. What a huge break for Kansas City.”
    | Holthus, after an apparent touchdown reception by Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was ruled incomplete, and then upheld after a Vikings challenge.
    “It looks like a catch. His arm is under the ball.”
    | Pearson
    “I think Minnesota just got jobbed.”
    | Matt Vasgersian, Fox play-by-play man
    “The message is pretty clear to the coaches: Keep the red flags in your pocket. You’re wasting your time.”
    | Bob Gretz, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network, after two straight coaches’ challenges resulted in the calls standing.
    •••
    “If the other 10 guys had the effort that Jared Allen does, the defense wouldn’t give up a first down.”
    | Dawson
    “Jared Allen is a one-man machine out there.”
    | Holthus
    JF: Hey, don’t forget KC Wolf — he came to play, too, with a nice assist on the tackle of the knucklehead who ran out on the field.
    •••
    “It’s ‘The Bowe Show’ at Arrowhead today … Bowe knows touchdowns!”
    | Vasgersian, after Bowe’s big-time touchdown catch
    JF: We’re guessing that Vasgersian had those ready to go during pregame, but they weren’t bad nonetheless. Oh, and just as good as Bowe’s touchdown catch was the one he had moments earlier on third down to keep the drive going.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    Dont count him out, before he came to the Chiefs everyone thought he had no talent. At the end of the year I would love for the Priest doubters eating crow yet again. Remember having both LJ and Priest in the backfield. It was magic. Now Priest knows that he is the backup, and he is ok with that but a Priest at 90% is still better then Bennett at 200%
    Yeah Bennet sucks, but Priest is pretty old now. I am not counting him out, just being realistic. How long until he comes back. Hes already had what 2 years?

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by Polleo Pit Man View Post
    Yeah Bennet sucks, but Priest is pretty old now. I am not counting him out, just being realistic. How long until he comes back. Hes already had what 2 years?
    If nothing else keep him loyal give him one more game then make him a running back coach. He has a lot of knowledge to share. I have no doubt that LJ will be a coach of some kind some day.

If nothing else keep him loyal give him one more game then make him a running back coach. He has a lot of knowledge to share. I have no doubt that LJ will be a coach of some kind some day.
    I think LJ learned a hell of alot from Priest. Priest always had a special view of the field and holes and timing. Who know, LJ might not be what he is today without that experience? I hope the best for him, he is a class act and good to have around!

Dont count him out, before he came to the Chiefs everyone thought he had no talent. At the end of the year I would love for the Priest doubters eating crow yet again. Remember having both LJ and Priest in the backfield. It was magic. Now Priest knows that he is the backup, and he is ok with that but a Priest at 90% is still better then Bennett at 200%
    That was the Dick era!

Don't think Herm will give "chances" to any more offensive players.

Loved Priest but he will not be back.. sigh...
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    That was the Dick era!

Don't think Herm will give "chances" to any more offensive players.

Loved Priest but he will not be back.. sigh...
    I hate to admit it but I have to agree....we won't see him play another down. ( I hope I eat crow on this though)
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234