Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

Default Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

Game plan takes Chiefs fans out of game

By JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Source: KC Star

Good coaching staffs know how to “take the crowd out of the game” with a solid game plan. But taking your own home crowd out of the game? That’s pretty much what the Chiefs’ ultraconservative game plan appeared to do Sunday. The Arrhowhead faithful were ready to roar and devour the Vikings, but the Chiefs’ run-first offensive approach only served to diminish the Arrowhead magic, and thus keep the Vikings in the game.
    •••
    “Here comes a growling Arrowhead ...”
    | Mitch Holthus, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network.
    JF: This was a rare moment in the second half when the crowd had reason to get loud and intimidate the Vikings’ offense. It should have been like that the entire game.
    •••
    “You’re going to get the entire state of Minnesota in the (defensive) box on this play.”
    | Holthus, as the Chiefs lined up for a third and short and then ran the ball.
    “There’s no mystery out there … If the running game isn’t going, pass the ball.”
    | Len Dawson, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network
    “That’s doing it the hard way.”
    | Dawson, after Larry Johnson picked up a first down even though the Vikings employed nine players in the box.
    “You’ve got to change up. You’ve got to play-pass once in a while. They play-passed on the first play of the game, and it was open.”
    | Dawson
    JF: Win or no win, Chiefs fans are going to continue to howl about the play-calling, and with good reason.
    •••
    “What else can go wrong?”
    | Dawson, somewhat disgustedly after the Chiefs lined up to punt after a three-and-out and drew a false-start flag.
    Ty Law didn’t even touch him. Wow. You’ve got to turn the runner inside.”
    | Dawson after the Vikings’ first-quarter touchdown, an 11-yard run by Adrian Peterson
    “Did you see (Peterson) freeze Ty Law? Once a runner can get a corner to stop his feet … Ty Law isn’t the quickest anymore … once he stopped his feet, he’s done. He’s dead.”
    | Jayice Pearson, Fox game analyst
    “You’re seeing a lot of indecision by Damon Huard as he goes back to pass.”
    | Pearson
    JF: Maybe Huard was simply stunned whenever a pass play was sent in.
    •••
    “That sure looked like a touchdown. Wow. What a huge break for Kansas City.”
    | Holthus, after an apparent touchdown reception by Vikings tight end Visanthe Shiancoe was ruled incomplete, and then upheld after a Vikings challenge.
    “It looks like a catch. His arm is under the ball.”
    | Pearson
    “I think Minnesota just got jobbed.”
    | Matt Vasgersian, Fox play-by-play man
    “The message is pretty clear to the coaches: Keep the red flags in your pocket. You’re wasting your time.”
    | Bob Gretz, KCFX, Chiefs Radio Network, after two straight coaches’ challenges resulted in the calls standing.
    •••
    “If the other 10 guys had the effort that Jared Allen does, the defense wouldn’t give up a first down.”
    | Dawson
    “Jared Allen is a one-man machine out there.”
    | Holthus
    JF: Hey, don’t forget KC Wolf — he came to play, too, with a nice assist on the tackle of the knucklehead who ran out on the field.
    •••
    “It’s ‘The Bowe Show’ at Arrowhead today … Bowe knows touchdowns!”
    | Vasgersian, after Bowe’s big-time touchdown catch
    JF: We’re guessing that Vasgersian had those ready to go during pregame, but they weren’t bad nonetheless. Oh, and just as good as Bowe’s touchdown catch was the one he had moments earlier on third down to keep the drive going.

Good article. Funny how everyone agrees with us (chiefs crowd) when we win, and have their own ideas when we lose

HERM just get on this site (forgot you don't have the internet) and learn a few things!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I totally disagree 100%. I was there. The game turning out how it did got the crowd WAAAY more into it when the defense was on the field in the second half. Which is the time to go nuts and make tons of noise. We aren't supposed to get to 130 decibals with OUR offense on the field.... Good Lord, there's ALWAYS something to complain about, I know. But this is just stupid. Arrowhead was ELECTRIC in the second half. And the red sea was louder than hell while supporting the defense. I've seen it get loud there before but a close, defensive game keeps the crowd into it the whole time and is just as loud or louder than a game that produces fifty points. Was this clown even there???
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I totally disagree 100%. I was there. The game turning out how it did got the crowd WAAAY more into it when the defense was on the field in the second half. Which is the time to go nuts and make tons of noise. We aren't supposed to get to 130 decibals with OUR offense on the field.... Good Lord, there's ALWAYS something to complain about, I know. But this is just stupid. Arrowhead was ELECTRIC in the second half. And the red sea was louder than hell while supporting the defense. I've seen it get loud there before but a close, defensive game keeps the crowd into it the whole time and is just as loud or louder than a game that produces fifty points. Was this clown even there???
    Hey guy.

What part of the article are you disagreeing with?

Sounded like you both said about the same things...
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Good coaching staffs know how to “take the crowd out of the game” with a solid game plan. But taking your own home crowd out of the game? That’s pretty much what the Chiefs’ ultraconservative game plan appeared to do Sunday. The Arrhowhead faithful were ready to roar and devour the Vikings, but the Chiefs’ run-first offensive approach only served to diminish the Arrowhead magic, and thus keep the Vikings in the game.
    While this was true of the first half, Arrowhead went crazy in the last 30 minutes. Yes, a lot of the fans were discouraged at the beginning of the game, but NOBODY in that stadium gave up and stopped cheering.

While this was true of the first half, Arrowhead went crazy in the last 30 minutes. Yes, a lot of the fans were discouraged at the beginning of the game, but NOBODY in that stadium gave up and stopped cheering.
    I get it.

I was screaming here at home the whole game!

while i was discouraged about the game in the first half, i was still screaming my butt off. whether it was because we were losing, and i was angry with huards indeciveness, i wasn't going to stop making noise...

by the 3rd quarter, i just about lost my voice and i was drunker than you dont know what, but it was great!

and i gotta say, damon huard is as slow as an ox, never let him run with the ball... that was pretty weak. and man i was sitting there thinking at some point of the game, is that Damon Huard out there or Elvis Grbac...... did anyone else think that too?

DBOWE ahhh man i sure cannot wait for the rest of the season. he's gonna be something else!

its just good to actually discuss a win. The win was ugly, but id rather be 1-2 than 0-3 going into San Diego.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Dang it m0ef0e! I was all set to rail on Herm again, as I have a real tendency to do, until I read your post. I agree; a close game does keep the crowd into it, a blowout, on the other hand, after a while may actually have just the opposite effect. IMO.

That is why Chiefs fans are the best. Fustrated yes but we never gave up and kept cheering no mater what. We never turn our back on our team.

Welcome to Arrowhead

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Dang it m0ef0e! I was all set to rail on Herm again, as I have a real tendency to do, until I read your post. I agree; a close game does keep the crowd into it, a blowout, on the other hand, after a while may actually have just the opposite effect. IMO.
    I didn't mean to rain on your parade but it's nice to clear the storm clouds before it turns into a monsoon. I just had to say something because I've been to quite a few games and Arrowhead was just as loud and intense in the second half of Sunday's game as I have ever seen it. If we had been blowing the Vikings out, the crowd would have still cheered but when the Chiefs NEED a stop, Arrowhead goes CRAZY!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast