Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We need to beat the Chargers to win the division

Default We need to beat the Chargers to win the division

Not to look ahead, but I think (please correct me if I am wrong) if we lose to the Chargers in two weeks and both of us finish at 11-5, they win the division.

According to NFL.COM, here are the tiebreakers in case of a division tie.
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in common games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss
    (The NFL is nothing if not thorough. It would be something if it ever came down to a coin toss.)

Currently, the Chargers and Chiefs are both 1-2 versus the division. If we lose to the Chargers we split in head-to-head but lose out because we would be 3-3 in the division and they would be 4-2 (provided we both win out).

For what it is worth, the Chiefs and Chargers have 14 common opponents on the schedule. Currently, the Chiefs are 4-4 in those games and the Chargers are 6-3 (Chargers have one uncommon opponent - the Bengals - remaining). Chiefs are screwed by having lost to two teams (the Texans and Colts) who the Chargers beat.

This becomes important if we should lose to the Chargers but then they lose another divison game, while we lose a non-division game. Now we are both 10-6, 1-1 and 3-3. However, in this scenario we are screwed because the non-division game would have to be against a common opponent (thats all we have left) and so we wind up with a common opponent record of 7-5 while the Chargers would be 8-4. Obviously, if we both lose to a division opponent it keeps us a game back, there so nothing changes in that scenario (we're 2-4, they are 3-3)

However, now for the good news, if the Chiefs beat the Donks this week and the Chargers in two weeks, it would take a virtual melt-down for us not to win the division. Reason being that we would now own a 2-0 record over the Chargers (the #1 tie-breaker) meaning they would have to overtake us in the standings while we have a two game lead (we'd be 9-4 and the Chargers 7-6). In this case, we'd have to lose the next three and they'd have to win the next three, which seems doubtful.

Such a scenario would potentially bring the Raiders (currently 5-6) into play, but looking at this has given me such a headache that I am going to wait to see what they do to see if they will even be relevant (since I suspect they won't).
    Last edited by wilqb16; 11-30-2010 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Type-o

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    Not to look ahead, but I think (please correct me if I am wrong) if we lose to the Chargers in two weeks and both of us finish at 11-5, they win the division.

According to NFL.COM, here are the tiebreakers in case of a division tie.
    1. Head-to-head (best won-lost-tied percentage in games between the clubs). Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the division.
    2. Best won-lost-tied percentage in common games.
    3. Best won-lost-tied percentage in games played within the conference.
    4. Strength of victory.
    5. Strength of schedule.
    6. Best combined ranking among conference teams in points scored and points allowed.
    7. Best combined ranking among all teams in points scored and points allowed.
    8. Best net points in common games.
    9. Best net points in all games.
    10. Best net touchdowns in all games.
    11. Coin toss
    (The NFL is nothing if not thorough. It would be something if it ever came down to a coin toss.)

Currently, the Chargers and Chiefs are both 1-2 versus the division. If we lose to the Chargers we split in head-to-head but lose out because we would be 3-3 in the division and they would be 4-2 (provided we both win out).

For what it is worth, the Chiefs and Chargers have 14 common opponents on the schedule. Currently, the Chiefs are 4-4 in those games and the Chargers are 6-3 (Chargers have one uncommon opponent - the Bengals - remaining). Chiefs are screwed by having lost to two teams (the Texans and Colts) who the Chargers beat.

This becomes important if we should lose to the Chargers but then they lose another divison game, while we lose a non-division game. Now we are both 10-6, 1-1 and 3-3. However, in this scenario we are screwed because the non-division game would have to be against a common opponent (thats all we have left) and so we wind up with a common opponent record of 7-5 while the Chargers would be 8-4. Obviously, if we both lose to a division opponent it keeps us a game back, there so nothing changes in that scenario (we're 2-4, they are 3-3)

However, now for the good news, if the Chiefs beat the Donks this week and the Chargers in two weeks, it would take a virtual melt-down for us not to win the division. Reason being that we would now own a 2-0 record over the Chargers (the #1 tie-breaker) meaning they would have to overtake us in the standings while we have a two game lead (we'd be 9-4 and the Chargers 7-6). In this case, we'd have to lose the next three and they'd have to win the next three, which seems doubtful.

Such a scenario would potentially bring the Raiders (currently 5-6) into play, but looking at this has given me such a headache that I am going to wait to see what they do to see if they will even be relevant (since I suspect they won't).
    I know this is an excellent and accurate analyzation, but my brain just can't comprehend it all, hahaha. It's not your fault, it's mine.

My analysis is this...we need to beat the Donkeys Sunday, and then we need to beat the Chargers. We just need to bring our best game and beat every team we face from here on out through Super Bowl. From that point we need to party it up the entire off season enjoying every moment of the Lombardi being proudly brought home to Arrowhead! Once the 2011 season begins, then we start all over again from that point figuring out what we have to do to keep the Lombardi at Arrowhead.

Now that ^ up there...my brain comprehends!!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Since the chargers have had there way for a few years in the div. I think the pressure that we have made by being at the top for so long this season, I think they choke and we take the div with ease. stranger things have happend. Todd Haley and Co. will not be denied our crew means business.

Its simple for us we win out we win the AFC west. If the Chargers beat us then we need help from someone eles. The Chargers scare me. They do this every year. But maybe we are the team that puts a stop to that.

Chiefs need to beat the Chargers and win at least 2 of the 4 other games and they win the division no matter what.
    MAKE WHOOLIES!!!

Joseph
    The Real SIC Riders
    www.SCSclothing.com
    www.SoCalStunts.com

red pants for the charger game

it worked sunday

Quote Originally Posted by whatwasthat? View Post
    red pants for the charger game

it worked sunday
    The last time we wore red pants on a regular basis, we won a SB.

wouldn't hurt if some non playoff team decided to play spoiler and beat the Chargers either

Quote Originally Posted by SIC J View Post
    Chiefs need to beat the Chargers and win at least 2 of the 4 other games and they win the division no matter what.
    This!

I think we can win 2 of the other 4 games. Really, it comes down to beating SD. If we lose to SD, we need SD to stumble to have a shot at the playoffs. If we beat SD, they'd need us to fall apart.
    Last edited by Coach; 12-01-2010 at 09:47 AM.

I think we finish 11-5, only loss to sd while the chargers finish 10-6 w/only loss to den. after we put a thrashing on den to avenge that dismal loss earlier, sd will look past them and den will be stoked to get them at home and bounce back from the humiliation at ARROWHEAD.

2nd scenario they too trounce den but the bungles play spoiler w/nothing to lose and again look to be an easy win surprise the chargers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast