Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Just the facts.

Default Just the facts.

There is no doubt the Chiefs will need to play their best game to beat the Chargers at home on Sunday. However, the tale of the tape says that this game should be close. Both teams are in much the same boat right now and only five combined points separate the two teams in their last three contests. The following are some statistics to consider when evaluating the Chiefs' chances of coming out of Qualcomm with a win on Sunday.

Rushing - The Chiefs are ranked 4th defensively in the league right now. The Chargers are ranked 22nd. The Chiefs have held Tomlinson to under 70 rushing yards in four of the last five meetings between the two teams. Larry Johnson has averaged over 115 yards per game in 3 contests against the Chargers. In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Passing - The Chiefs are currently ranked 24th in the pass while the Chargers are tied for the 18th spot with Carolina. However, the Chiefs are ranked 5th in passing defense and the Chargers are 22nd after the first 3 weeks of this season. In two starts against Kansas City, Phillip Rivers' quarterback rating has been a mere 57.8. Last December in San Diego, the Chiefs' defense held Rivers to just eight completions and forced two interceptions. Rivers ended that contest with a career-low passer rating of 12.4. Both teams boast 5 wins when their current starting quarterbacks post a passer rating of better than 100. Both Huard and Rivers accomplished this last week.

Coaching - Norv Turner is currently 0-5 against the Chiefs. Turner went 0-4 against Kansas City in Oakland and 0-1 with the Redskins. Meanwhile, Herm Edwards owns a 4-2 career record against the Chargers.

Turnovers - The Chiefs have forced six turnovers so far this season while the Chargers have turned the ball over six times. Kansas City owns the longest current streak of games with a forced turnover with 22. The Chargers are 2-12 at home when they don't win the turnover battle since 2002.

Scoring - Eight of the last eleven games between the Chiefs and the Chargers have been decided by seven points or less. The team going into the locker room with a halftime lead has won 15 of the last 17 games in this series. Both teams have trailed at intermission in all three of their games this season and currently hold NFL-ranks of last and next-to-last in first-half scoring differential. The Chiefs have not allowed any first-quarter points in two games this season and nine times total under Herm Edwards. The Chargers have scored over 73 percent of their points in the second half in 2007. Last year, the Chargers led the league in second-half points per game with 16.9 as well as setting an NFL record with 176 points scored in the fourth quarter. Meanwhile, the Chiefs' defense has allowed only six second-half points this season with only three of these points allowed in the fourth quarter.

Homefield advantage - The Chargers have won nine games in a row at Qualcomm and currently hold the second-longest active home-winning streak in the NFL behind the Colts, who have won ten in a row at home. Since 1996, the home team has won 17 of 22 games in this series.

Most of these stats came from the linked article if you want to check them out for yourself.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2007/09...g_performance/

This is going to be a hard game for either team to come out of with a win and may prove to be a very exciting contest. Both teams are similarly "on the ropes" right now and badly need this win. Don't write anybody out just yet.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

yes both teams need this win.

but i really see LT lighting it up vs the CHIEFS.

LJ might get some yards in but with that O'line, im not sure.

id really like to see the CHIEFS win this sunday but I don't see it.

though i wouldnt be surprised seeing the CHIEFS win going into the BYE. it would be suhweet!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post

though i wouldnt be surprised seeing the CHIEFS win going into the BYE. it would be suhweet!

LT hasn't done well this year and the Chiefs are one of the best teams at stopping him-- even when he was running well.

Quote Originally Posted by anaeelbackwards View Post

Going into the bye????? Our bye isn't until week 8.

defense is hot right now. Chargers offense is not. --> Advantage Chiefs.

Chargers defense is not hot right now. Nither is the Chiefs offense. --> Push.

However, it is worth noting that the Chiefs offense springs to life in the second half (4th qtr the first 2 games, 3rd & 4th last week). If they keep that same mentality, I think you say advantage to Chiefs offense.

I really see no reason we don't come back with a win (unless we go back to 80% run / 2% pass / 18% punt).
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    LT hasn't done well this year and the Chiefs are one of the best teams at stopping him-- even when he was running well.

I don't know that I agree with this. I believe I remember him going for almost 200 and 2 TD's last year against us!!

There is no way LJ and LT are going to be held like this all year (barring the coaches banging their head against the wall) maybe this will be break out games for both of them.

I can't wait to see LJ running over Merriman!

As long as LT doesn't run toward Ty Law we should be able to contain him for under 120 yards.

I predict LJ 125 LT 110!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    I don't know that I agree with this. I believe I remember him going for almost 200 and 2 TD's last year against us!!
    the article I read said we had held him to 70 yards in 4 of the last 5 games. maybe the last one was the exception. I don't think he played in the SD game @ Arrowhead last year, so the 4 stops are probably 2004 & 2005 seasons.
    You can only have one favorite team. There are no "second favorites".
    -- Chris, resident of Arrowhead East (St. Louis)

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    He went for 198 yards and 2 TD's in that game. Overall, the Chiefs ARE better at stopping LT than most teams (at least up until this season and the performances he's been putting up so far).

In 11 games against the Chiefs, Tomlinson has broken the century mark only four times. The Chiefs are 18-6 and the Chargers are 30-8 when each team's featured back tops the 100-yard mark. However, the Chargers are only 1-3 in the four games Tomlinson has rushed for over 100 yards against the Chiefs. Currently, the Chargers are ranked 9th against the rush while the Chiefs are 18th in the NFL. Both teams are ranked 30th and 31st in rushing offense with the Chargers holding the slight edge so far in the 2007 season.

Did you read the original post?

Quote Originally Posted by stlchief View Post
    the article I read said we had held him to 70 yards in 4 of the last 5 games. maybe the last one was the exception. I don't think he played in the SD game @ Arrowhead last year, so the 4 stops are probably 2004 & 2005 seasons.
    I forgot to put that line in as well. Here it is:

The Chiefs have held Tomlinson to under 70 rushing yards in four of the last five meetings between the two teams.

Tomlinson having one big game in five would hardly make 200 yards and 2 TD's the norm for him versus the Chiefs.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast