Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we sit our starters

Default Should we sit our starters

So we can have our team well rested and injury free for the playoffs? I personally think we should treat next weeks game as a playoff game let Croyle come in and stink up the place for the first half then let guitterez play in the second, I also wanna jackie battle get some more reps.

I say start everyone. "resting" is something ive always read as "icing" which is not conducive to your best showing going into the playoffs.

Lets look around the league - Atlanta locked a playoff berth, but playing the Saints at home last night, they came all out to play. theyre not worried about injuries, they have a seed to play for, not to mention their pride.

Are the pats pulling starters on week 17? Will the Eagles sit Vick vs their hated rivals the Cowboys? We all know teams like the Colts, the Giants and the Packers are going to come out running on all cylinders as they have no choice. Will Big Ben be sitting pretty on the sidelines against a meaningless game against the browns?

If we look around the league and find ourselves within a very select few company that is taking the safe approach going into the playoffs (or worse yet, being alone in that category) i think that makes a big statement about who you are as a football team. Perhaps if we have 1st round bye already clinched that might be a different scenario. but even if those teams come out with all starter personell on field but we take a siesta against a bitter rival at home where a seed slot is on the line then ill be sorely disappointed with our coaching staff.

Something tells me that they arent sissies judging by the way theyve been calling plays all year. Its one thing not to put an injured player at further harms way by playing them prematurely (those were smart calls not to bring DMC back so early and Haley could have sat Cassel for two weeks if Cassel himself didnt feel ready to play), its another thing to flee from the possibility of injury when there is still ground worth fighting for on the line.

I say we go out there and put the raiders on their back with all we've got. I for one am very curious as to how much we've grown since week 10 and i think that the raiders playing bitterly against us will be a good exercise as for what to expect during the playoffs.

I say we go out there and put the raiders on their back with all we've got. I for one am very curious as to how much we've grown since week 10 and i think that the raiders playing bitterly against us will be a good exercise as for what to expect during the playoffs.[/quote]

i agree whole heartedly, resting your starters sends the message that you are "afraid" of playing this team and getting hurt like little sissy girlie men. go out build a lead and say "see we are gonna whoop yo butt" then take em out and you say " we can even whoop yo wit the back up boys"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I say we go out there and put the raiders on their back with all we've got. I for one am very curious as to how much we've grown since week 10 and i think that the raiders playing bitterly against us will be a good exercise as for what to expect during the playoffs.
    i agree whole heartedly, resting your starters sends the message that you are "afraid" of playing this team and getting hurt like little sissy girlie men. go out build a lead and say "see we are gonna whoop yo butt" then take em out and you say " we can even whoop yo wit the back up boys"[/quote]

I agree - particularly I want to see how we have grown...especially with not getting drawn into playing the Raiders game. On top of leading the NFL in penalties, the Raiders also have the most penalties called on their opponents.

I want to see that we can keep from getting sucked into that and play smart football. Also, I want to see how we do against a physical 4-3 defense. We have struggled to run the ball against these. Even this week - vs. the Titans - Jones had like 22 carries for 52 yards. Granted Charles had 77 yards on 13 carries but for our team to be consistent, Jones needs to average at least 3.5 yards a clip.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    It's actually not meaningless. I think with a Colts win and a loss by us we go from the 4th seed to the 3rd seed. Basically it would put us on the Patriots side to get the AFC West championship and we'd likely play the Ravens instead of the Jets.

I saw today that Haley said they wouldn't rest the starters. We'll see how it plays out if the Chiefs get up big. I wouldn't put it past the Raiders to play dirty.
    Then I hope nobody gets hurt and we destroy the raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Then I hope nobody gets hurt and we destroy the raiders.
    I kind of doubt that. I don't think the Raiders are even our number one rival anymore. Really, it hasn't been that way since the Marty era.

I think the Chargers and Broncos draw more distain than the Raiders and this goes both ways.

Even though the Raiders beat us earlier this year, as long as senile Al Davis is at the helm, dreaming of Darryl Lamonica, switching coaches every other year and still trying to build a tecmo bowl offense, I think the Raiders are kind of like watching a train wreck and you can't take them too seriously. Heck, they even had a fan take out a billboard asking Al to sell the team.

They lead the league in penalties every year and seem to have stopped even trying to stop. They draft like they are using a Quiji board. They'll go 5-1 in the AFC West but lose the thing.

The Raiders aren't mean anymore, they are kind of sad.

Yeah....But I still HATE them and have since the '60s

Default Chiefs' plan is to go with starters Sunday vs. Raiders

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...e=HP_headlines

"We're going to do what we think gives us the best chance to win," Haley told the newspaper Monday.
    There is plenty at stake for the Chiefs, who could avenge an earlier loss the rival Oakland Raiders on Sunday. A victory also would secure the AFC's third seed for the Chiefs and allow them to avoid the top-seeded New England Patriots until the AFC Championship Game.
    However, if the Chiefs lose to the visiting Raiders and the Indianapolis Colts defeat the Tennessee Titans, both teams would finish 10-6, but the Colts would get the conference's third seed because of their victory against the Chiefs in October.
    Haley wants his team to go into the playoffs with some momentum.
    "We're a transitioning team," Haley said. "Maybe some teams can look at games differently, but I know our group right now —- with where we are in our development -— we need to approach them the same way, which is get ready to win and put everything into figuring out how to get to three wins in this quarter (of the season)."
    Last edited by Chiefster; 12-28-2010 at 03:12 PM.

We need to play our starters and play to WIN!! I don't like the idea of getting swept by the Faiders..Our team is hot, sitting them next week might cool them off and I don't want that..We need to go into the playoffs with a full head of steam..BTW, on a lesser note. If we lose to Oakland we will be the #4 seed..Which will have us matched up with the Steelers/Ravens..I would much rather play the first round against the Jets...

Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    I kind of doubt that. I don't think the Raiders are even our number one rival anymore. Really, it hasn't been that way since the Marty era.

I think the Chargers and Broncos draw more distain than the Raiders and this goes both ways.

Even though the Raiders beat us earlier this year, as long as senile Al Davis is at the helm, dreaming of Darryl Lamonica, switching coaches every other year and still trying to build a tecmo bowl offense, I think the Raiders are kind of like watching a train wreck and you can't take them too seriously. Heck, they even had a fan take out a billboard asking Al to sell the team.

They lead the league in penalties every year and seem to have stopped even trying to stop. They draft like they are using a Quiji board. They'll go 5-1 in the AFC West but lose the thing.

The Raiders aren't mean anymore, they are kind of sad.

they still are our number 1 rival to the Hunt family, the CHIEFS management, all the veteran CHIEFS players and all of us old/long time CHIEFS fans.

I think as a young team if we go undefeated at home we will have that swagger that they need to go into the playoffs. They will be walking with a swagger like nobody is going to be us at home nobody has. and for a young team that is what we need

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast