Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Can we all finally agree

Default Can we all finally agree

We need major help on our O-line? I have said it many times and I'll say it again our O-line is not gonna get it done. Branden Albert is not a LT he's a guard, lilja is too small wiegman and waters are too old. We look good against small d-lines like the Titans but against real pass rushers like the Colts and Raiders we look horrible and can't get any holes open and we can't protect our QB. We honestly have gotten lucky this year in not facing many teams that have great pass rushers but when we do we look bad. This is should be our number one priority in the draft, our defense is good, special teams good, our rb's excellent and if we could build our line and get another good WR we would have an excellent passing game.

Definately need to address the O=Line first..Yes we also need a #2 WR, but I believe we can shop for one in the off season...Maybe a Randy Moss?

I agree I think we need to address the O-line. I also do not think Albert is good enough to be an LT. He is OK but he struggles against the elite DE's in pass protection. Our running game success I think has been more of a result of Charles being a beast than our O-line being great. No runningback on the roster (not named Jamaal Charles) average 4.0+ yards per carry. Jones only 3.7.

In pass protection, it has been hot and cold. I also don't know that Barry Richardson is the guy, and we are old in the middle of the line - which is our strength. I'd be happy to see us draft two OT's this draft.

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    I remember those people saying that. Heck- if they want to give Gilberry a shot at OLB, I certainly won't complain, but I'd still like to see us go for a good pass rusher in free agency or the draft.

Didn't we draft someone last year who was supposed to be a good pass rusher? I think he ended up hurt- can't remember the name and too lazy to look right now.
    I think you be talking about Cameron Sheffield. Yes he got hurt making a tackle in pre-season.

here is my upgrade wishlist for the 2011 draft
    NT Phil Taylor Baylor
    LT Anthony Costonzo BC
    RT Nate Soldier Colorado
    C/OG Stefen Wisniewski PSU
    OG/C Mike Pouncey Florida

if we can land more than one of these guys it would sure help big time

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    here is my upgrade wishlist for the 2011 draft
    NT Phil Taylor Baylor
    LT Anthony Costonzo BC
    RT Nate Soldier Colorado
    C/OG Stefen Wisniewski PSU
    OG/C Mike Pouncey Florida

if we can land more than one of these guys it would sure help big time
    I like Wisniewski, but he has a first round price tag most likely and I don't see Pioli taking an interior lineman in the first round, just based off his past drafting tendencies.

Pouncey is interesting, but he's not his brother Maurkice. I was not impressed with him in the Outback Bowl at all.

I'm hoping a guy like Akeem Ayers or Von Miller will make it to us, but that may just be wishful thinking. Even a guy like Julio Jones might be possible, just noting how big of a drop Dez Bryant took last year in the draft.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-04-2011 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I like Wisniewski, but he has a first round price tag most likely and I don't see Pioli taking an interior lineman in the first round, just based off his past drafting tendencies.

Pouncey is interesting, but he's not his brother Maurkice. I was not impressed with him in the Outback Bowl at all.

I'm hoping a guy like Akeem Ayers or Von Miller will make it to us, but that may just be wishful thinking. Even a guy like Julio Jones might be possible, just noting how big of a drop Dez Bryant took last year in the draft.

Pouncey was playing center but was pulling and passing the guard on sweeps, he would make a great guard, and has played alot of guard. Wisniewiski has played alot of guard and some tackle, he was all big ten at center and guard....really add depth and versatility to the O line along w/pouncey

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    Pouncey was playing center but was pulling and passing the guard on sweeps, he would make a great guard, and has played alot of guard. Wisniewiski has played alot of guard and some tackle, he was all big ten at center and guard....really add depth and versatility to the O line along w/pouncey
    I say if we go after a lineman in the first round that we get a legitimate LT. We can then look at moving Albert to the inside or to RT. We can look at an RT or C in later rounds.

This draft is going to be deep in the OT position. The top 10 guys in that position will all go in the top 3 rounds I believe atleast 5 of those guys are easily going to go in the first round. I really like Nate Solder he is huge 6'9 305 lbs but I very seriously doubt that he will be around when the Chiefs are going to be picking. I think Gabe Carimi from Wisconsin who is about 6'8 320 lbs might fall into the Chiefs lap which would be great but there are a lot of good interior OL and DL coming out of this draft so I hope we can come away with a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am all for cutting Brandon Albert right now. Yeah, that may be a bit critical but when your LT gets beat badly and he is watching his QB get killed with his hands on his hips. That is BAD. He completely quit doing his job, when his main job is to protect.

Never ever ever should an offensive lineman have his hands on his hips, watching a play. Okay I can understand getting beat but after about the 5th time, wouldn't you still have some competitive nature in you to try and prevent it instead of watching your QB get slammed to the ground.

I don't want even the quitter playing Guard. He is going to get another player who is trust him to do his job hurt.
    I won't go that far regarding Albert, but I will say this. When he was drafted, I thought that he was going to be Will Shields replacement at Guard as Albert was a standout Guard in college. I was surprised when I heard later that they were going to put him at LT and I thought it was a mistake then, and I still think it is a mistake now. He was never a full-time starter at LT in college and there was a reason for it, which is what you're seeing now.

I won't rag on Albert as it not his fault that this has happened to him. He never asked to be put out at LT. He was told to go there and that's where he's been playing. He's OK to a point, but the better DE's in the league beat him.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-04-2011 at 07:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I won't go that far regarding Albert, but I will say this. When he was drafted, I thought that he was going to be Will Shields replacement at Guard as Albert was a standout Guard in college. I was surprised when I heard later that they were going to put him at LT and I thought it was a mistake then, and I still think it is a mistake now. He was never a full-time starter at LT in college and there was a reason for it, which is what you're seeing now.

I won't rag on Albert as it not his fault that this has happened to him. He never asked to be put out at LT. He was told to go there and that's where he's been playing. He's OK to a point, but the better DE's in the league beat him.
    I also do not subscribe to cutting Albert I think he would make a fine guard and I don't think he's a quitter he's just not suited for LT.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast