Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Ending my Silence, End of Season Thoughts

Default Ending my Silence, End of Season Thoughts

Hey guys. Long time no post. I have resisted posting all season, not because I dont love you guys, but because of superstition. I missed the first couple of weeks because I was living in a tent in the middle of the desert ... and we were 3-0. I continued my forum silence hoping it was helping the Chiefs win.

I have been following the Crowd all season, though. But now it is time for me to give my 2 cents.

So here are some of my thoughts.

1. We need a true FS. Almost everytime Todd Heap caught the ball it was because McGraw was beaten. He also blew some zone coverages. Everytime Berry was playing up on Todd Heap, he either broke up the play or Heap made a great catch. We need another starting quality FS (either draft or a veteran) to play across Berry. This is by far our weakest link in the secondary, and on the defense as a whole.

2. Our defensive front 7 is surprisingly great this year. Our only need is to bring in some youth and or size at NT.

3. Our OL is old, and has a tendency to get beat. We better start/continue to draft some more youth.

4. We need to give Cassel another target other than Bowe and Moeaki. We have had what, something like 5 different people starting across from Bowe? We need some consistency at the other WR spot. It will pull the double teams off Bowe, leaving him, Moeaki open more often, and also keeping the defense off the run game and Jamaal Charles.

5. The OC situation. I think Weis put in a great system and has a great playbook, and he has done a great job with Cassel's improvement, but I didnt like his playcalling for much of the season. Especially the last two games. I think he has completely checked out mentally. I dont like McDaniels as a person. I also think he had no discipline in Denver. They had a ton of off the field problems. However, I dont know who would be a better option.

6. Overall, this was a great season. I am worried that we only beat one or two teams that were better than .500, but we are still early in the rebuilding process. We saw some real development in our LBs (thank you Romeo!), DL (thank you again Romeo!), and OL. I really look forward to this offseason.

7. Most importantly, I won a new jersey off what was initially a drunken bet http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/im...khillbilly.gif with my SD Chargers friend. Whoever finished higher in the division gets a jersey from the winner. Now I have to decide whose jersey I want?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My criticism against McGraw came because I thought Berry was playing FS and they put McGraw at SS. I didnt realize he was playing in Nickel packages. If that is the case, then I would ask why arent we using our 2nd round draft pick that was supposed to be our star nickel back (Javier Arenas).

Anyways, I think it was a combination of our failed 3rd down defense, poor offense, and turnovers.
    Simple, Arenas is 5'9", Heap is 6'5". They put 6'3" McGraw on him. McGraw still got torched, but it was a better matchup.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My criticism against McGraw came because I thought Berry was playing FS and they put McGraw at SS. I didnt realize he was playing in Nickel packages. If that is the case, then I would ask why arent we using our 2nd round draft pick that was supposed to be our star nickel back (Javier Arenas).

Anyways, I think it was a combination of our failed 3rd down defense, poor offense, and turnovers.
    McGraw is a nickel LB. He should never be playing any sort of safety position on any team. Arenas was covering their 3rd receiver for most of the game and did a good job.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    That, going down to 10-7 at the half, was the difference?

Not the five second half turnovers?

The first half, with a score of 10-7, was bigger than the 20-0 second half?

Are you aware that our only solid possession was at the start of the second half, (11 plays, 5:15) and consisted of our last first downs of the entire game?

I am not a professional psychiatrist. But I think you guys might be crazy. (Teasing.)
    I think you're missing the point entirely.

No one said the turnovers weren't costly. My point was the failed 3rd down antics early in the game eventually led to the turnover antics later in the game. If you take away early fails on 3rd down, I don't see Matt Cassel getting frustrated late in the 3rd quarter and throwing the ball to the wrong team.

And yes, a 10 point swing in what began as a brutal defensive battle can be the difference in the game.
    Decree from Chiefster: You have mentioned he who can not be mentioned here. You are BANNED!!!! BANNED I SAY!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Daylights View Post

No one said the turnovers weren't costly. My point was the failed 3rd down antics early in the game eventually led to the turnover antics later in the game. If you take away early fails on 3rd down, I don't see Matt Cassel getting frustrated late in the 3rd quarter and throwing the ball to the wrong team.

And yes, a 10 point swing in what began as a brutal defensive battle can be the difference in the game.
    I'd also like to point out, that through week 15, the Chiefs were 4th in the league in 2-minute offense with 67 points scored (I can't find the stats after that week). Getting the ball back before the half and not giving up that TD would have been huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Daylights View Post

But, after that play is changed, you are filling in the rest of the game with pure fantasy.

Why would you assume that the rest of the game would be occupied by a solid Chiefs offense, when there was absolutely no signs of a solid, Chiefs offense, or any Chiefs offense at all, which one could base such an assumption on?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    But, after that play is changed, you are filling in the rest of the game with pure fantasy.

Why would you assume that the rest of the game would be occupied by a solid Chiefs offense, when there was absolutely no signs of a solid, Chiefs offense, or any Chiefs offense at all, which one could base such an assumption on?
    The offense moved fine in the first half, and up until Charles's fumble. And even until the 4th and 1 play.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    The offense moved fine in the first half, and up until Charles's fumble. And even until the 4th and 1 play.
    The offense had 2 decent drives in first half, one ended in a Charles fumble, the other was a punt.
    JC TD was entirely about one play, and that we have the best back in the league.

Second half started with a good drive (luck included, INT and fumble) but ended in a disastrous play call.

Everything after was horrendous.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234