Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ending my Silence, End of Season Thoughts

Default Ending my Silence, End of Season Thoughts

Hey guys. Long time no post. I have resisted posting all season, not because I dont love you guys, but because of superstition. I missed the first couple of weeks because I was living in a tent in the middle of the desert ... and we were 3-0. I continued my forum silence hoping it was helping the Chiefs win.

I have been following the Crowd all season, though. But now it is time for me to give my 2 cents.

So here are some of my thoughts.

1. We need a true FS. Almost everytime Todd Heap caught the ball it was because McGraw was beaten. He also blew some zone coverages. Everytime Berry was playing up on Todd Heap, he either broke up the play or Heap made a great catch. We need another starting quality FS (either draft or a veteran) to play across Berry. This is by far our weakest link in the secondary, and on the defense as a whole.

2. Our defensive front 7 is surprisingly great this year. Our only need is to bring in some youth and or size at NT.

3. Our OL is old, and has a tendency to get beat. We better start/continue to draft some more youth.

4. We need to give Cassel another target other than Bowe and Moeaki. We have had what, something like 5 different people starting across from Bowe? We need some consistency at the other WR spot. It will pull the double teams off Bowe, leaving him, Moeaki open more often, and also keeping the defense off the run game and Jamaal Charles.

5. The OC situation. I think Weis put in a great system and has a great playbook, and he has done a great job with Cassel's improvement, but I didnt like his playcalling for much of the season. Especially the last two games. I think he has completely checked out mentally. I dont like McDaniels as a person. I also think he had no discipline in Denver. They had a ton of off the field problems. However, I dont know who would be a better option.

6. Overall, this was a great season. I am worried that we only beat one or two teams that were better than .500, but we are still early in the rebuilding process. We saw some real development in our LBs (thank you Romeo!), DL (thank you again Romeo!), and OL. I really look forward to this offseason.

7. Most importantly, I won a new jersey off what was initially a drunken bet http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/im...khillbilly.gif with my SD Chargers friend. Whoever finished higher in the division gets a jersey from the winner. Now I have to decide whose jersey I want?!?!?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Daylights View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    And in my opinion one of the killer's was a converted 3rd and 13 with just over 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter. A stop there gives us the ball in decent field position with a chance to put more points on the board and go up by more than 7-3. Then we would have also got the ball at halftime. Instead, we went into halftime down 10-7.
    And that was really the turning point, in my opinion. Up until then, we were having offensive success, driving the ball...at one point it looked like we were going to go ahead 14-3. But, our drive stalled, we punted the ball close to midfield and let Todd Heap 3rd down us to death until they grabbed a 3 point lead. That potential reversal of fortunes destroyed our momentum and the Ravens made us pay for it in the second half.
    That, going down to 10-7 at the half, was the difference?

Not the five second half turnovers?

The first half, with a score of 10-7, was bigger than the 20-0 second half?

Are you aware that our only solid possession was at the start of the second half, (11 plays, 5:15) and consisted of our last first downs of the entire game?

I am not a professional psychiatrist. But I think you guys might be crazy. (Teasing.)

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    That, going down to 10-7 at the half, was the difference?

Not the five second half turnovers?

The first half, with a score of 10-7, was bigger than the 20-0 second half?

Are you aware that our only solid possession was at the start of the second half, (11 plays, 5:15) and consisted of our last first downs of the entire game?

I am not a professional psychiatrist. But I think you guys might be crazy. (Teasing.)
    All I'm saying is that I think we would not have gotten away from the run game in the 2nd half had we gone in with the lead. It did change the entire flow of the game. If we manage even a FG before the half instead of giving up a TD, it's a 10 point swing.

Regardless, they shouldn't have stopped running the ball in the second half. I can make the case that those turnovers don't happen if we have the lead. The Chiefs did a great job of protecting the ball all year, especially when they had the lead. Crazy? Not at all.

All I'm saying is that I think we would not have gotten away from the run game in the 2nd half had we gone in with the lead. It did change the entire flow of the game. If we manage even a FG before the half instead of giving up a TD, it's a 10 point swing.

Regardless, they shouldn't have stopped running the ball in the second half. I can make the case that those turnovers don't happen if we have the lead. The Chiefs did a great job of protecting the ball all year, especially when they had the lead. Crazy? Not at all.
    Odds are that The Chiefs don't get any points.

And that case, that "the turnovers don't happen if..." is a pretty narrow one.

Trying to place the blame to the defense, for a first half play, that lead to a FG, while the team got beat 20-0 in the second half, doesn't seem like a stretch that Mr. Fantastic couldn't handle to you?

I don't think that momentum can really be argued, as the offense same out in the second half, with their only "drive" of the game.

Also....

Regardless of this topic, you are both Chiefs fans, which, if I'm not mistaken, makes you certifiable.

Alright you're right. I guess it's ridiculous to think that a team that went 9-2 during the season with the lead at halftime (vs 1-4 not having the lead) is ridiculous. You win.

Also, the blame for the 3rd and 13 play led to a touchdown. And there were several other converted third downs on that drive. The Chiefs were a team all year that played a lot better (and focused on running the football) when they had a lead.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 01-10-2011 at 09:23 PM.

Alright you're right. I guess it's ridiculous to think that a team that went 9-2 during the season with the lead at halftime (vs 1-4 not having the lead) is ridiculous. You win.

Also, the blame for the 3rd and 13 play led to a touchdown. And there were several other converted third downs on that drive. The Chiefs were a team all year that played a lot better (and focused on running the football) when they had a lead.
    Ok. The five turnovers don't matter. The 161 yards of total offense are pointless. The 23 minute advantage in TOP is meaningless too.

Seriously. You can pick any negative play and suggest that everything goes differently after that.

And you chose that one.

Not a TD. Not an INT. Not a fumble. Not a failed fourth down conversion. But a lone third down conversion, in the first half of the game.

Yes. Things go differently if that play is changed.

There really is no way to argue against that logic. It's fact.

But I have never seen anyone make a stretch that big, to try and blame the defense for the offense's mistakes, like that.

That's a new one to me.

Perhaps the stat sheet should read that McGraw threw three INTs, had a fumble, and could not manage a first down after 10:56 of the third quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Ok. The five turnovers don't matter. The 161 yards of total offense are pointless. The 23 minute advantage in TOP is meaningless too.

Seriously. You can pick any negative play and suggest that everything goes differently after that.

And you chose that one.

Not a TD. Not an INT. Not a fumble. Not a failed fourth down conversion. But a lone third down conversion, in the first half of the game.

Yes. Things go differently if that play is changed.

There really is no way to argue against that logic. It's fact.

But I have never seen anyone make a stretch that big, to try and blame the defense for the offense's mistakes, like that.

That's a new one to me.

Perhaps the stat sheet should read that McGraw threw three INTs, had a fumble, and could not manage a first down after 10:56 of the third quarter.

You're really misunderstanding me. I'm not blaming the defense for the offense's struggles. It was foolish of the offense to abandon the run like they did.

I'm saying the defense should not have given up a first down on 3rd and 13. If they force a punt there, we go into halftime with at least a 7-3 lead. Do 4 more turnovers take place? Maybe. I doubt they abandon the run that quickly though had they had the lead at halftime. I digress. Agree to disagree.

You're really misunderstanding me. I'm not blaming the defense for the offense's struggles. It was foolish of the offense to abandon the run like they did.

I'm saying the defense should not have given up a first down on 3rd and 13. If they force a punt there, we go into halftime with at least a 7-3 lead. Do 4 more turnovers take place? Maybe. I doubt they abandon the run that quickly though had they had the lead at halftime. I digress. Agree to disagree.
    I actually do agree, that that was a big play.

But I don't think it is in the top ten of plays that could have made a difference in the outcome.

First play from scrimmage (missed INT). The INT that Flowers just missed. Seven turnovers. (Of which, I would count, maybe, four.) The third & 2 that became the actual TD on the drive we are discussing. The TD pass to Boldin. 3rd & 2 at The Ravens' 34 to start the second half.

Alright. Maybe top ten. Barely.

But the issue was about how well the defense did in the game, on the whole.

And, while not great on third down, (9/17) the third downs were nowhere near as big of a deal as the turnovers.

The offense was horrible. The defense was doing a great job of keeping us in the game, despite the offense's best efforts to get blown out.

The defense played well, and we are nit-picking to say that one or two third down plays makes the difference, when you consider how atrocious the offense played.

I mean, if you include turning it over on downs, they had seven turnovers in the game.

For the amount of time that our offense managed to possess the ball, and the positions that the turnovers put our defense in, I think the defense did an amazing job.

ok let me try....umm we scored less points...did I get it right?

My criticism against McGraw came because I thought Berry was playing FS and they put McGraw at SS. I didnt realize he was playing in Nickel packages. If that is the case, then I would ask why arent we using our 2nd round draft pick that was supposed to be our star nickel back (Javier Arenas).

Anyways, I think it was a combination of our failed 3rd down defense, poor offense, and turnovers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lazeye View Post
    ok let me try....umm we scored less points...did I get it right?
    Yes I think that clears things up a bit

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast