Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs will have the 21st pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft

Default Chiefs will have the 21st pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft

It's official, the Chiefs will be picking at the #21 spot. Who should the Chiefs be targeting in the 1st round?
    Last edited by Coach; 01-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LankyChief11 View Post
    What do you guys think of Cameron Sheffield's future with the Chiefs? Also Urban will be nice to have next year.
    I'm very interested to see what he can do. That injury was a bummer, to say the least, because I was so glad when I was reading up on him. Hopefully this year he can come in and make an impact.

As far as the draft- anyone know how many picks we have (currently)? Pioli seems to be a wheeler/dealer, so I thought we might have additional ones.

First round? I dunno... I'd say offensive line or NT. I know we need another WR, but the trenches need more effective warriors.

JB

i watched some film of sherrod, he was beaten badly on a number of passing downs, missed his blocks on sweeps and downdfield, but he also made some good plays but it looks like he may be overated. costonzo or carimi may be better picks for us.

i'm not sure about niswanger, haven't seen him play much. he was the heir apparent then wegman came back. they may feel he has developed enuf to take over or look to draft a new center. we have assumed he won't be starting next year but who knows.
    if we are to continue improving we need upgrades at LT, C, NT, DE, WR, LB.....better hope we find some late round gems like jarrod allen......of course then we can always trade them away later!

My early guess at pick 21. Would fill a position of need. Yea, a little light for a NT, but he could easily but on 15 lbs of muscle. One of the strongest players in the draft. Team captain, active in the community and a good student. If he's around for our pick, this is my guess.

Stephen Paea, DT

Height: 6-1 | Weight: 312 | College: Oregon State

Select Other PositionsCenterCornerbacksDefensive EndsDefensive TacklesFree SafetiesFullbacksGuardsInside LinebackersKickersOffensive TacklesOutside LinebackersPuntersQuarterbacksRunning BacksStrong SafetiesTight EndsWide Receivers

Copyright NFLDraftScout.com, distributed by The Sports Xchange Player RatingsPositionOverallPos. RankProj. RoundDT2431-2Complete 2011 Ratings
    Latest News
    12/27/2010 - 2010 AP ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM: DT-Stephen Paea, senior, 6-1, 311, Oregon State, has been selected AP First Team All-American for the 2010 college football season as selected by the Associated Press. - AP Sports Full Stephen Paea News Wire

Overview Paea (pie-uh) is one of the premier defensive tackles in the nation … considered opting out of his senior year for the NFL Draft, but will return for what could be an All-America season … strong player with a rugby background from his youth in Tonga … faces constant double teams … has quickness and strength to wreak havoc on opposing backfields … the strongest player on the team, and possibly the nation's strongest tackle … tied for third at OSU for career sacks with 19.5 … Lombardi, Outland and Nagurski Award Watch lists … co-team captain for second year … Lindy's Football Preview and Athlon Sports First Team All-American.
    Phil Steele's First Team Preseason All-Pac-10 … NationalChamps.net preseason second team All-American … candidate for the Lott Trophy, which is awarded to the top FBS defensive player who exhibits "integrity, maturity, performance, academics, community and tenacity" … as of mid-may he holds all of OSU's defensive tackle records in the weight room - vertical jump (30"), shuttle (4.37), 225-pound bench (44 reps), bench press (500 lbs), squat (600 lbs), clean (365 lbs) - all would be in the top-10 statistically at the 2010 NFL Combine.
    2009 Season Co-recipient of the Pac-10's Morris Trophy, given annually to the league's top defensive lineman as voted on by the league's offensive linemen … Bronko Nagurski Award Watch List … All-Pac-10 First Team … Ted Miller of ESPN.com ranked him the 24th best player in the Pac-10 prior to the season … team-leading 8.5 tackles for loss and co-leader for sacks with three … tallied 3.0 sacks against UCLA … forced two fumbles each against UCLA and at Oregon … four forced fumbles ties the OSU single season record … recovered a fumble against Portland State … co-team captain.
    2008 Season
    Last edited by pbatrucker; 01-18-2011 at 10:42 AM.

I like phillip taylor from baylor...he is 6'4" and 340lbs...a beast in the middle to occupy 2 O-linemen and should be available in 2nd or 3rd round. i read some other draft board reports on cbs and walters they rated him as solid 2nd rounder whose stock was rising.

Phil Taylor Scouting Report

Position: DT School & Year/Status: Baylor - Senior Jersey Number: #98 Height & Weight: 6'4 - 340 lbs. Ranked #77 on our Top 100 Prospects Board
    2011 NFL Draft Prospect Scouting Report:
    personPhil Taylor, DT, Baylor

Phil Taylor is making the most of his senior season to upgrade his draft status. As a freshman and sophomore he was down the depth chart a little ways on a stellar Penn State defense. However, the 6-4, 340 pound defensive tackle did see some playing time as a freshman for the Nittany Lions and that is an uncommon occurrence in Happy Valley. Taylor spent 2008 as a redshirt waiting to be eligible to play at Baylor in 2009. His junior campaign was not too bad as he started nine games, but a turf toe injury limited his production and he ended the season with a mere 25 tackles and just 2.5 tackles-for-loss. Taylor has the physical tools to be a solid tackle at the next level, but he needs to be productive during his senior season with the Bears to boost his draft stock. So far Taylor is doing just that. Through seven games he already has tallied a career high 28 tackles and added 5.0 tackles-for-loss, one sack and one forced fumble. Taylor is Baylor's clog in the middle of the defense and is beginning to live up to his potential.
    He will need to keep it up the rest of the 2010 campaign to make scouts take notice. Taylor has decent quickness and strength at the point of attack, but it is likely that he will need to have a good NFL Combine to really grab some attention. He can move up to the third round area if all goes well, but he will probably stay a late to mid-round prospect.

Last Updated Oct-22-2010 by Joel Welser

Taylor, Powe and the other true NT all have off the field issues. They just don't fit the mold of what the Chiefs have been drafting.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    Taylor, Powe and the other true NT all have off the field issues. They just don't fit the mold of what the Chiefs have been drafting.

i'm not sure about powe but what off field issues are you referring to about taylor? if its the dorm fight 3 years ago that really wasn't a big issue. it was poor judgement when he and several others broke down the door of another student in retaliation for what that student had done. JoePa booted him and others off the team for the 2008 season and put others on suspension. this is not a kid into drugs, stealing or wild nights on the town, i think he would fit in fine in KC.

With the high draft prospects at DT having off field issues, Maybe they will try and dip into the FA pool to fill this need, and try and Draft a legit one next season or find one later in the draft without off field issues...

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    i watched some film of sherrod, he was beaten badly on a number of passing downs, missed his blocks on sweeps and downdfield, but he also made some good plays but it looks like he may be overated. costonzo or carimi may be better picks for us.
    Well, if that's the case about Sherrod, then perhaps you are right, Carimi or Castonzo would be better, but Castonzo is strictly a Left Tackle it's been said. Carimi can play either side.

But, I don't believe the Chiefs will take any of the 3, having passed on Russell Okung last year.

if we built a team on the players we passed up in the last five drafts we would have an all-star team

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast