Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Chiefs will have the 21st pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft

Default Chiefs will have the 21st pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft

It's official, the Chiefs will be picking at the #21 spot. Who should the Chiefs be targeting in the 1st round?
    Last edited by Coach; 01-09-2011 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    I agree that Studebaker will be the starter replacing Vrabel this year. He took over in sub packages this year and will get his shot at starting full time next year. He has shown he holds up well in run support and coverage and has shown promise as a pass rusher when given the chance.
    My thoughts exactly, plus they gave Studebaker a contract extension, already. I don't recall ever seeing Studebaker play poorly at any time this season & often times in pass coverage, he was there to tackle receivers as soon as they caught the ball.

Quote Originally Posted by 4everchiefsfan25 View Post
    I agree that Studebaker should get a shot but Haley has preached that he is all about competition so just because Studebaker has showed some promise why not bring in another OLB for competition. Maybe I was wrong saying we need to get an OLB in the first round but if we dont go for one in the first round then I think we should get a big nose tackle in the first round.
    We have Studebaker and Sheffield and I expect Vrabel to come back in a lesser role.
    All the top NT's should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rds. IMO if one of the top 3 OT's are on the board, that's the way we should go. Cerimi is my favorite, but any of the top 3 would start out at RT for us.
    But really, as long as they pick the beast available player at a position of need, No one should complain.

Quote Originally Posted by pbatrucker View Post
    We have Studebaker and Sheffield and I expect Vrabel to come back in a lesser role.
    All the top NT's should be available in the 2nd and 3rd rds. IMO if one of the top 3 OT's are on the board, that's the way we should go. Cerimi is my favorite, but any of the top 3 would start out at RT for us.
    But really, as long as they pick the beast available player at a position of need, No one should complain.
    Roger that. O-Line and WR are probably bigger needs than NT and I don't see a stud NT or WR being there at #21. My leaning is starting to go towards Carimi because at the very least you get a big power guy at RT who also can give you insurance at LT in a pinch as he was a 4 year starter at LT. Got to love his size and his mobilty and he can get to the 2nd level downfield. Jamaal Charles would love running behind this guy, plus he has decent pass blocking skills, not elite yet, but pretty good.

Of course, you never know if we'll trade up to pick before #21...

Quote Originally Posted by josh1971 View Post
    Of course, you never know if we'll trade up to pick before #21...
    Hell this might be a year they trade down (like they've tried in years past) and try to accumulate some picks for later in the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    Hell this might be a year they trade down (like they've tried in years past) and try to accumulate some picks for later in the draft.
    I almost expect us to start doing this. That is the way the Patriots drafted when Pioli was there. They would trade back and accumulate picks, both for the current and future years. I think Pioli recognizes that there is a lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and that talent is a lot cheaper than the talent in the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Roger that. O-Line and WR are probably bigger needs than NT and I don't see a stud NT or WR being there at #21.
    +1.

When I watched the Ravens, Raiders and the last Chargers games, got the feeling that we lost those games last April. I really like Dexter McCluster, but the team really needed to draft some O-line in that spot and those games proved it.

My hope is that we keep Chambers for one more year (if he'll stay) and Haley figures out a way to get him in the game plan more. Would also like to see Studebaker get into the game plan some more. Year before last he did great in everything they asked him to do; this year, where'd he go ?!?

If we are able to keep these two guys, then draft like this...

1st round - OL
    2nd round - WR, best pass rusher, or if all else fails, OL

Quote Originally Posted by Eydugstr View Post
    +1.

When I watched the Ravens, Raiders and the last Chargers games, got the feeling that we lost those games last April. I really like Dexter McCluster, but the team really needed to draft some O-line in that spot and those games proved it.

My hope is that we keep Chambers for one more year (if he'll stay) and Haley figures out a way to get him in the game plan more. Would also like to see Studebaker get into the game plan some more. Year before last he did great in everything they asked him to do; this year, where'd he go ?!?

If we are able to keep these two guys, then draft like this...

1st round - OL
    2nd round - WR, best pass rusher, or if all else fails, OL

Recced. O-Line help is needed more than anything and those games against the Raiders and Ravens, we saw Cassel get beat into a zombie & it had a huge effect on his decision making ( same thing happened to Tom Brady against the Jets ). If Pioli ignores the O-Line again like he did last year, we'll more than likely see a repeat of 2009 when Cassel got beat into a zombie on almost a weekly basis.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I almost expect us to start doing this. That is the way the Patriots drafted when Pioli was there. They would trade back and accumulate picks, both for the current and future years. I think Pioli recognizes that there is a lot of talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, and that talent is a lot cheaper than the talent in the 1st round.
    Agree with this. It is exactly the way the Patriots draft. Trade back accumulate 2nd and 3rd round picks. This is why you don't hear of to many draft busts out of NE, most of their players are later round guys. They don't have the huge investment of a 1st rounder either.

Take Jamaal Charles for example, he was a 3rd round pick a few years ago, If he wouldn't have panned out, no one would have cared, because the money isn't on the line. He was due $460,000 (I think) this year before signing his extension. When you think about that now, it sounds crazy for as good as he has become.

I really think stockpiling 2nd and 3rd round picks like the Pats did when Pioli was there and still do is the reason the Pats have consistently been at the top of the league for so long; Hell these past two seasons have been re-building seasons for them and they still seem to compete at the top of the league!

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I'm not sure I'm down with the "take another pass rushing OLB." We need a replacement for Vrabel. While he may be sometimes required to rush the passer, it's certainly not his primary job. Just google SAM linebacker to get a better idea of the traits this player needs to have. Akeem Ayers is a name of a guy that would be a good fit, not Von Miller. Miller rushed the passer something like 90% of the time in college. He plays the same position as Hali.
    Basics of the 3-4 Defense - From The Rumble Seat here is a break down of the 3-4 defense

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast