Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 179

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

  1. #1
    Member Since
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,174
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 90
    Given: 141

    Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs


    0 Not allowed!
    Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

    What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

    My top needs:

    1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

    2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

    3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

    4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

    5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

    6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #111
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,323
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Really? The fact that he is getting better is not a vaild reason to keep him there? Not to mention that it would have been easy for Haley and company to move him since he was not drafted and put at LT by them.
    Where are you getting the impression that he's getting better? He's not getting better, he's as good as he's ever going to get at the LT position. I've seen no improvement in his pass blocking, in fact he clearly struggled & regressed in the last month of the season & got beat like a drum repeatedly. He can only do well against the nosebleeds of the NFL ( which is what he faced most of the year), but the better pass rushers beat him continually. If he's improving, then why are there others besides myself that want to see him moved to Guard & get a real LT to take over? His not being drafted by Haley and company has nothing to do with anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    A O line coach might have wanted to draft Okung but the fact that we didn't means that more coaches the gm and scouts wanted Berry.
    Nobody knows that for certain. Clark Hunt had the final say on that. He's the one who made the call to Berry on draft day. That doesn't mean that the majority of scouts and coaches were in favor of selecting Berry over Okung. The final say belongs to Clark Hunt. It's his team.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Like I have said before I have no problem moveing Albert IF and ONLY IF we get a clear upgrade or he is beat out for it not before.
    Any of the three, Sherrod, Costanzo, or Carimi would be an upgrade. They played the LT position all through their college careers & all can pass block better than Albert.

  3. #112
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,857
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 78

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Where are you getting the impression that he's getting better? He's not getting better, he's as good as he's ever going to get at the LT position. I've seen no improvement in his pass blocking, in fact he clearly struggled & regressed in the last month of the season & got beat like a drum repeatedly. He can only do well against the nosebleeds of the NFL ( which is what he faced most of the year), but the better pass rushers beat him continually. If he's improving, then why are there others besides myself that want to see him moved to Guard & get a real LT to take over? His not being drafted by Haley and company has nothing to do with anything.



    Nobody knows that for certain. Clark Hunt had the final say on that. He's the one who made the call to Berry on draft day. That doesn't mean that the majority of scouts and coaches were in favor of selecting Berry over Okung. The final say belongs to Clark Hunt. It's his team.



    Any of the three, Sherrod, Costanzo, or Carimi would be an upgrade. They played the LT position all through their college careers & all can pass block better than Albert.
    UMMMM I thought it was pretty clear that our O line was greatly improved over last season. And Albert was a part of that. There was a time pretty late in the season that Matt Cassel was one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL. And Albert was still in there at LT. You will use the excuse that we played a weak schedule but last time I checked there were still NFL players going against him. Did he struggle at time yes but overall there was improvement. Just look at the number of sacks.
    42 sacks in 2009
    26 in 2010 thats 16 less sacks 1 per game on avarge.
    Did Albert stuggle at the end of the year yes but so did the WHOLE O LINE and well WHole offense So i guess we have to move cassel to WR bowe to Rb and Jones to qb since they regressed right?

    I am pretty sure Clark Hunt listend to his scouts. The doing what the fans want Bs is just that. Since Hunt has taken over he has done Many moves that the fan base did not like. Like keeping herm edwards an extra season trading Jarad allen tony g keeping LJ to name a few. And oh yes the drafting Tyson Jackson. Hunts track record proves that he will not just do what the fan base wants. Plus Hunt was wanting to keep herm one more year. He let Pioli make that decison. Hunt listend to Plioi again in the draft and Pioli decided to go with Berry.

    If any of the name you mentioned are brought in and the clearly beat Albert then fine. Put them there and move Albert. But Make them earn it. I really don't see the problem with makeing someone earn that spot not just handing it to them and moveing Albert.

  4. #113
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,323
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    UMMMM I thought it was pretty clear that our O line was greatly improved over last season. And Albert was a part of that. There was a time pretty late in the season that Matt Cassel was one of the least sacked QBs in the NFL. And Albert was still in there at LT. You will use the excuse that we played a weak schedule but last time I checked there were still NFL players going against him. Did he struggle at time yes but overall there was improvement. Just look at the number of sacks.
    42 sacks in 2009
    26 in 2010 thats 16 less sacks 1 per game on avarge.
    They benefited from an easy schedule & that why you see the numbers that you saw, but they folded against the teams that had good a Defensive front 7. Not once were they able to overcome a deficit of 10 or more points. When teams got ahead and knew Cassel had to throw the ball, they couldn't protect him.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Did Albert stuggle at the end of the year yes but so did the WHOLE O LINE and well WHole offense...
    There, you said it yourself, Albert struggled. The LT position is the most important position on the Offense outside of the QB & if he can't protect the passer when his team needs to throw the ball, then a change is most certainly needed.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    So i guess we have to move cassel to WR bowe to Rb and Jones to qb since they regressed right?
    Sorry, but that's just a humping-the-neighbors-dog type of statement there. It's not only way off base from the suggestion of moving Albert to a position that he's played before, it's not even remotely in the ballpark.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

    I am pretty sure Clark Hunt listend to his scouts. The doing what the fans want Bs is just that. Since Hunt has taken over he has done Many moves that the fan base did not like. Like keeping herm edwards an extra season trading Jarad allen tony g keeping LJ to name a few. And oh yes the drafting Tyson Jackson. Hunts track record proves that he will not just do what the fan base wants. Plus Hunt was wanting to keep herm one more year. He let Pioli make that decison. Hunt listend to Plioi again in the draft and Pioli decided to go with Berry.
    As I said before, nobody knows that for certain & I'll bet money that if the fans had been clamoring for Russell Okung instead of Berry, the pick would've been Russell Okung.

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    If any of the name you mentioned are brought in and the clearly beat Albert then fine. Put them there and move Albert. But Make them earn it. I really don't see the problem with makeing someone earn that spot not just handing it to them and moveing Albert.
    I'll wager that it won't be too hard for any those 3 that I mentioned to beat Albert out of the LT position, seeing as all 3 are better pass blockers.

  5. #114
    Member Since
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,246
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 5
    Given: 1

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Boy, I just love drafterbator discussion. As for the part way back about looking for a new power back to replace Jones, I think Battle could do that much. It looked like he was being groomed for it throughout the season.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

  6. #115
    Member Since
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    9,857
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 420
    Given: 78

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    They benefited from an easy schedule & that why you see the numbers that you saw, but they folded against the teams that had good a Defensive front 7. Not once were they able to overcome a deficit of 10 or more points. When teams got ahead and knew Cassel had to throw the ball, they couldn't protect him.



    There, you said it yourself, Albert struggled. The LT position is the most important position on the Offense outside of the QB & if he can't protect the passer when his team needs to throw the ball, then a change is most certainly needed.



    Sorry, but that's just a humping-the-neighbors-dog type of statement there. It's not only way off base from the suggestion of moving Albert to a position that he's played before, it's not even remotely in the ballpark.



    As I said before, nobody knows that for certain & I'll bet money that if the fans had been clamoring for Russell Okung instead of Berry, the pick would've been Russell Okung.



    I'll wager that it won't be too hard for any those 3 that I mentioned to beat Albert out of the LT position, seeing as all 3 are better pass blockers.

    That May be the case it may not. All I want is to be sure that the person who would replace Albert is a CLEAR upgrade. That means the compete with Albert at LT and whoever is the better player starts. All I want is Competion at the spot at least. Not just grab a guy and move albert. If we do that and he is not even as good as Albert then that is a step backwards. I just don't want to take a step backwards.
    I stand by my statement that Albert was getting better. It's common for teams to struggle in the passing offense when the D nos they have to pass that's not something that we just struggled on. And we WON the AFC west with Albert at LT last time I checked The bolts donkeys and faiders also played the NFC west we just did it 2 games better then them.

  7. #116
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,323
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    That May be the case it may not. All I want is to be sure that the person who would replace Albert is a CLEAR upgrade. That means the compete with Albert at LT and whoever is the better player starts. All I want is Competion at the spot at least. Not just grab a guy and move albert. If we do that and he is not even as good as Albert then that is a step backwards. I just don't want to take a step backwards.
    I stand by my statement that Albert was getting better. It's common for teams to struggle in the passing offense when the D nos they have to pass that's not something that we just struggled on. And we WON the AFC west with Albert at LT last time I checked The bolts donkeys and faiders also played the NFC west we just did it 2 games better then them.
    You can't step back much farther than what Albert did over the last month of the season. You can stand by your statement all you want to about him improving, but giving up something like 7 sacks over the last month of the season doesn't constitute improvement. It means a change is needed. As for the other teams in the AFC West, they played better teams in the AFC outside the division for the most part. True the Chiefs did sweep the NFC West, but in 2011, it's going to be the NFC North and it's going to be lot tougher & all those teams have guys that can rush the passer from QB's blind side and I foresee Albert getting worked over, just like he did at the end of this season.

    But, you don't have to worry, the Chiefs brass will probably keep him there at LT and like yourself think that he's improving, while teams like the Raiders and their fans will be winking at you & saying to themselves "Keep thinking that way".

  8. #117
    Member Since
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    205
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You can't step back much farther than what Albert did over the last month of the season. You can stand by your statement all you want to about him improving, but giving up something like 7 sacks over the last month of the season doesn't constitute improvement. It means a change is needed. As for the other teams in the AFC West, they played better teams in the AFC outside the division for the most part. True the Chiefs did sweep the NFC West, but in 2011, it's going to be the NFC North and it's going to be lot tougher & all those teams have guys that can rush the passer from QB's blind side and I foresee Albert getting worked over, just like he did at the end of this season.

    But, you don't have to worry, the Chiefs brass will probably keep him there at LT and like yourself think that he's improving, while teams like the Raiders and their fans will be winking at you & saying to themselves "Keep thinking that way".
    I think Albert is a medicre LT. He isn't terrible, but he isn't great. Part of the reason why he struggles over the end of the season was that we faced more 4-3 defenses (Raiders, Titans, Rams) and he really struggles. Matter of fact, our whole O-line has a harder time against the 4-3, which is in part because Albert has a more difficult time blocking against true DE's.

    I agree that he is as good as he is going to get at LT. I always thought it was a bad move to draft a guard and move him to LT, anyways. I say we move him to RT or guard and then get an LT in either FA or the draft.

    Barry Richardson is a FA and I doubt we resign him.

    Otherwise, I still say we need an NT, WR and an OLB and I would still trade our #1 for Fitzgerald.

  9. #118
    Member Since
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,323
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 607
    Given: 788

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    I think Albert is a medicre LT. He isn't terrible, but he isn't great. Part of the reason why he struggles over the end of the season was that we faced more 4-3 defenses (Raiders, Titans, Rams) and he really struggles. Matter of fact, our whole O-line has a harder time against the 4-3, which is in part because Albert has a more difficult time blocking against true DE's.

    I agree that he is as good as he is going to get at LT. I always thought it was a bad move to draft a guard and move him to LT, anyways. I say we move him to RT or guard and then get an LT in either FA or the draft.

    Barry Richardson is a FA and I doubt we resign him.

    Otherwise, I still say we need an NT, WR and an OLB and I would still trade our #1 for Fitzgerald.
    It's not that I do not like Albert, I do, but what I hate is this:

    1) The Chiefs have needed to address this O-Line since 2006, since Will Shields retired & Willie Roaf retired the year before. Taking a player who was a Guard in college and throwing him out at LT is NOT addressing the issue -- it clearly has compounded it.

    2) Albert's talents are being wasted at LT. He was a great pulling Guard in college and would have been a great replacement for Will Shields -- a guy that can pull and get out in space and make screens and sweeps work. Albert got beat out at LT in college because of pass-blocking issues. It won't surprise me when Albert's contract expires that he bolts to another team that will plug him into Guard and he'll wind up in the Pro Bowl & the Chiefs expirment with him at LT will be totally in vain ( it already is ).

  10. #119
    Member Since
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    889
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wilqb16 View Post
    I think Albert is a medicre LT. He isn't terrible, but he isn't great. Part of the reason why he struggles over the end of the season was that we faced more 4-3 defenses (Raiders, Titans, Rams) and he really struggles. Matter of fact, our whole O-line has a harder time against the 4-3, which is in part because Albert has a more difficult time blocking against true DE's.

    I agree that he is as good as he is going to get at LT. I always thought it was a bad move to draft a guard and move him to LT, anyways. I say we move him to RT or guard and then get an LT in either FA or the draft.

    Barry Richardson is a FA and I doubt we resign him.

    Otherwise, I still say we need an NT, WR and an OLB and I would still trade our #1 for Fitzgerald.
    The Chiefs OL struggled against the Rams? I must of watched the wrong game then because the one that I watched they did a pretty good job.

  11. #120
    Member Since
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    12
    Thumbs Up
    Received: 0
    Given: 0

    Default


    0 Not allowed!
    In my opinion, the weakness that the D showed down the stretch was the inability to get pressure on the QB without blitzing, for that reason I would rank a middle clogging NT or a DE to play opposite Hali ahead of FS. Either one will help our pass rush. I do agree that FS and OLB(with Vrabel probably leaving) would be next on my list) On the Offensive side...WR!!! Baltimore showed that you can double team Bowe, and put a LB on Moeaki and almost completely shut down our passing game. Moeaki will improve, but we HAVE to get another wideout. Next on the offensive side is some help at tackle and a backup QB. As far as the order...when you have this many needs, you can't fix them all in one off-season...I say each round, find the best available player at any one of these positions that ins't a reach, and pick him.

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Chiefs will have the 21st pick in the 1st round of the 2011 draft
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 12:02 PM
  2. 2011 Chiefs Most Improved Player
    By Coach in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 11:17 PM
  3. Chiefs 2011-12 scheduled opponents
    By SIC J in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 06:39 PM
  4. Madden 2011 chiefs ratings
    By jacko58 in forum KC Chiefs News and Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •