Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Got to be O-Line. At least 2 of their top 3 picks in the 2011 draft need to be spent on talented O-Lineman. The Chiefs won't get an easy schedule in 2011 and if they don't address the O-Line, then Cassel will get the living hell beaten out of him next season and he will not progress, but will regress.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    O line all the way... Not only are two of our starters old but we have nothing behind them. We need proven FAs (which wont exactly be plentiful) or draft players now. I fully expect a 38 yr old weigman to hang it up this offseason.

I say the best LT we can get our hands on at 21... Then move Albert to RT, Waters to C, and Asamoah to LG.... The jury is still out on Lilja..

What the raiders were able to do to us is simply not going to cut. I dont care who you have runnin routes. Our O line gets overwhelmed too easily. I mean what did they play yesterday... Not even 20 mins and still could not give Cassel good protection.
    Repped. figcrostic and I have been saying this for some time. LT is not Albert's natural position. And he's not improving at the LT position, he's as good as he's ever going to be at the LT position ... and it's not good enough !!

If Derek Sherrod is available at 21, then he has to be the pick. There's no excuses for passing on him ( really wasn't any excuses for passing on Russell Okung in 2010 ).

we need a LT, preferable one that does not watch his QB get killed with his hands on his hips after he screws up.

We will need a center. Waters and Weigmann are most likely done.

We then need depth at offensive line.

We then need a NT and a pass rushing LB.

We need a #1 or #2 WR. One that is not a gimmick fumbling light weight that looks like he gets blown up everytime he is tackled due to be so small.

My needs in order
    1. A pass rusher.
    1b youth on the online
    We really need both. Our secoundary is not bad but if the qbs have all day to throw then someone is bound to get open.
    O line is a no brainer. We need youth there. We might be able to get anther season out of waters and weigmann but not any more. We need to have there backups in place NOW
    2. WR A huge need. We have to address it. It would open up the whole offense if we had anther weapon at the WR spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    we need a LT, preferable one that does not watch his QB get killed with his hands on his hips after he screws up.

We will need a center. Waters and Weigmann are most likely done.

We then need depth at offensive line.

We then need a NT and a pass rushing LB.

We need a #1 or #2 WR. One that is not a gimmick fumbling light weight that looks like he gets blown up everytime he is tackled due to be so small.
    You may be right but I want to believe that Waters will give us one more year with having a pro bowl season and with the strides we made this season...
    He is still playing at a high enough level so I hope hes got one more left in the tank.

Quote Originally Posted by DMN View Post
    You may be right but I want to believe that Waters will give us one more year with having a pro bowl season and with the strides we made this season...
    He is still playing at a high enough level so I hope hes got one more left in the tank.
    he made the pro-bowl because he is known. He did not have a pr-bowl year. He also hinted to the media after the game on Sunday, that his time with the Chiefs is in the air. They think he is thinking about retiring.

he has not been playing at a high level since Willie Roaf retired. I have seen Waters destroyed more times that I have seen him do well this year.

he made the pro-bowl because he is known. He did not have a pr-bowl year. He also hinted to the media after the game on Sunday, that his time with the Chiefs is in the air. They think he is thinking about retiring.

he has not been playing at a high level since Willie Roaf retired. I have seen Waters destroyed more times that I have seen him do well this year.
    Ya Waters does look pretty old out there.

Agreed, Waters did not have the type of year he has historically.

Here is a stat line that tracks the performance of offensive lines. It takes into account not only sacks, but also hurries, knockdowns, etc. It's fun to look back at the Dick Vermeil years, it's pretty telling.

Agreed with you about Waters. If he does come back next year, then he should given the choice between moving to Center or getting out. The Chiefs already have someone on the roster to take over the LG spot -- his name is Branden Albert.

The moves the Chiefs should make next year should be to draft Sherrod to play LT ( if available ) move Albert to LG, Waters to Center ( and draft a Center in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th round ), have Asamoah take over at RG. RT would be still up in the air, but maybe Richardson does improve, but I really believe the aforementioned moves would improve the O-Line greatly.

If Weigmann and Waters do retire, then there should be no doubt whatsoever in anyone's mind that the Chiefs need to draft O-Lineman ( isn't any doubt in my mind if both do come back ).
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Disagree with a few comments on this topic.

Needs:
    1. WR2 (Draft Round 1)

2. O-line Depth (Draft Round 2 or 3 (Demarcus Love OT, ARK rnd 2 or Marcus Gilbert OT FLA rnd 3)

3. Safety Depth (Free agency..I like the Bailey idea possibly Bob Sanders if he is cut (I know he is fragile but it may be a good thing for him to limit his snaps and coach up the youngsters, need to give Lewis a year or two)

4. LB Depth (Draft/FA) (Dqwell Jackson from CLE may be a name to keep and eye on, could rotate, and Drafted by Crennell)

5. NT (Draft Jerrell Powe NT OLE MISS??)

5. Back up QB (Draft Round 3-5..Greg McElroy QB ALA. Smart, Smart kid, Has won a National Championship, could groom to take over later, posesses Characteristics Management like, and better than our current former ALA QB.

#1 Need in the offseason to address:
    - WR opposite Dwayne Bowe!!!!

We need to Draft one in the 1st round (those available may be Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, or Johnathan Baldwin, AJ Green Will be gone by time we pick) Only knock on these guys is their experience. Jones has the most playing experience 3 yrs I think and played in the SEC (which Haley and Pioli seem to like.)

I say this because I don't feel that the stagnant offensive production against the ravens can be pinned on the O-line (Let's remember..Cassel was one of the LEAST-Sacked QB's this season, we do need depth at the line but feel that the WR2 trumps the issues here as of now)

I think the lack of Offensive production was due to lack of open receivers (It's not a good thing for a team to sign an old Kevin Kurtis who only caught two balls all season and was cut by a non-playoff team the week of a playoff game, and have him start! yikes!) We have tried free agency many times and it hasn't worked, Unless we can trade for Fitzgerald who would be a lock, we need to draft a WR to develop and relieve coverage from Bowe.)

I know we have said this every year since Hailey has been here but I Feel it could be likely this year, because Haley has probably been bothering Pioli about this for the 1st two drafts and will use this playoff game as a reason to grab one.

Let me know what you think...

another note, if Wiegmann and Waters retire, then my needs would of course be altered. Thanks

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast