Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Needs:
    1. WR2 (Draft Round 1)

2. O-line Depth (Draft Round 2 or 3 (Demarcus Love OT, ARK rnd 2 or Marcus Gilbert OT FLA rnd 3)

3. Safety Depth (Free agency..I like the Bailey idea possibly Bob Sanders if he is cut (I know he is fragile but it may be a good thing for him to limit his snaps and coach up the youngsters, need to give Lewis a year or two)

4. LB Depth (Draft/FA) (Dqwell Jackson from CLE may be a name to keep and eye on, could rotate, and Drafted by Crennell)

5. NT (Draft Jerrell Powe NT OLE MISS??)

5. Back up QB (Draft Round 3-5..Greg McElroy QB ALA. Smart, Smart kid, Has won a National Championship, could groom to take over later, posesses Characteristics Management like, and better than our current former ALA QB.

#1 Need in the offseason to address:
    - WR opposite Dwayne Bowe!!!!

We need to Draft one in the 1st round (those available may be Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon, or Johnathan Baldwin, AJ Green Will be gone by time we pick) Only knock on these guys is their experience. Jones has the most playing experience 3 yrs I think and played in the SEC (which Haley and Pioli seem to like.)

I say this because I don't feel that the stagnant offensive production against the ravens can be pinned on the O-line (Let's remember..Cassel was one of the LEAST-Sacked QB's this season, we do need depth at the line but feel that the WR2 trumps the issues here as of now)

Let me know what you think...
    Nope, don't need to draft a WR in the 1st round. There are many good receivers in the NFL that weren't taken in the 1st round. Look no further than Tampa Bay. Benn was a 2nd round pick in 2010 and Mike Williams was a 4th rounder in 2010. The list goes on and on. The Chiefs can get a good WR in the 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th round.

And nobody here is using only the Balt game as a reference regarding the O-Line. They got exposed against the Raiders and there were other games as well. If they have the best LT ( Sherrod ) available to them for the 2nd year in a row, they cannot pass him up this time. And Cassel may have been one of the least sacked QB's this season, but that was because of a cream-puff schedule & let's not forget Chiefs QB's were decked 14 times in the last 4 regular season games & 3 more against Balt. Sorry, but the 1st pick needs to go for a true LT.

Ok Point taken, but there are just as many 1st round picks that are WR's that pan out to name a few in the past couple of years: Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Calvin Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc. The draft is not an exact science, there are players that are busts at every position and there are players who were drafted in the 7th round that become studs at every position. You can argue the same point with your LT Sherrod. I have actually read, that this is the least talented pool of Tackles in years and none are as talented as the players taken in the last few drafts (Long, Smith, Okung, etc.) I've also read that Sherrod, Love, Camiri would be better suited to start out as right tackles.. Which is why I said to take Love in the 2nd round or Gilbert in the 3rd.

My point is that our #1 Priority should be to add a solid WR to line up opposite Dwayne Bowe, Weather it be 1st or 2nd round whatever, I believe Haley can coach whichever WR we pick up. Look at Bowe, since buying into what Haley wanted him to do... Pro Bowler. Haley knows receivers and can bring out the best in them, and I still feel that our biggest glaring need is a WR2.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?
    Agree with all of these, although I would consider getting more than just a backup QB, someone good enough we can turn to if Cassel doesn't pan out.

For me, as it has been for the past five offseasons, I put O-line at the top of the list.

I am no longer on the "have to find a LOT" trip. Albert isn't terrible, and we are probably not going to be in a position to get a better one in the draft.

But, with Weigmann and Waters, each, adding another year to their ages, and the ROT position looking to be in trouble, the needs there are obvious.

I really hate that we missed so many opportunities to get a top-flight LOT prospect. But what's done, is done.

Beyond that, I can't imagine how any position, aside from WR, can be mentioned next.

Whatever happened to Chambers, it is now clear that he can not be depended upon, and there really is nothing else after that, or it would have been clear by now.

We probably can't start Vrabel again, So someone has to fill that spot.

But I would be fine with Edwards at NT again, since we should be looking to fill the O-line, WR and OLB positions higher in the draft.

I think our D-line is actually very solid. They have given up rushing yards in some games, but only when we are going nickel-heavy to disrupt stellar passing attacks. (And against The Raiders)

And they are not expected to get to the QB very much.

So, for me, it's....

ROT, WR, C, OG, OLB.

Any other positions, I think we are looking for depth/developmental players.

Ok Point taken, but there are just as many 1st round picks that are WR's that pan out to name a few in the past couple of years: Jeremy Maclin, Percy Harvin, Hakeem Nicks, Kenny Britt, Calvin Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Roddy White, Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, etc. The draft is not an exact science, there are players that are busts at every position and there are players who were drafted in the 7th round that become studs at every position. You can argue the same point with your LT Sherrod. I have actually read, that this is the least talented pool of Tackles in years and none are as talented as the players taken in the last few drafts (Long, Smith, Okung, etc.) I've also read that Sherrod, Love, Camiri would be better suited to start out as right tackles.. Which is why I said to take Love in the 2nd round or Gilbert in the 3rd.

My point is that our #1 Priority should be to add a solid WR to line up opposite Dwayne Bowe, Weather it be 1st or 2nd round whatever, I believe Haley can coach whichever WR we pick up. Look at Bowe, since buying into what Haley wanted him to do... Pro Bowler. Haley knows receivers and can bring out the best in them, and I still feel that our biggest glaring need is a WR2.
    I haven't read any such thing about Sherrod. All the reports that I've read are projecting him as a LT. And BTW, OT's have had a much lower bust rate in 1st round then WR's since 1990. And Sherrod is better than anyone the Chiefs have right now. People were saying last year that Bryan Bulaga wasn't good enough to play LT in the pros, but guess what? He's proven that he can play both Tackle and Guard positions with equal efficiency and he's been pretty darn good. I've watched him, closely in all the Packers games -- not to say he hasn't been beaten a few times, but he's gotten the job done when the Packers needed him to & prior to the start of the season, every Packer fan that I talked to was thrilled to have gotten him at #23 -- and Sherrod has more upside than Bulaga does.

I don't disagree that another wideout is needed. I do disagree about not looking at FA. Eddie Kennison was pretty good after the Chiefs picked him up. People talk about wanting Fitzgerald, but his teammate Steve Breaston ( who incidentley beat Eric Berry by 10 yards on one play that would've resulted in a Cardinal TD if the ball had been better thrown & he played under Todd Haley ) might become an unrestricted FA & if he does, the Chiefs should go after him. They wouldn't have to give up anything & get a guy who had 1000+ yards in 2008.

1. WR - My personal favorite is Johnathan Baldwin. He's a huge, physical freak with decent hands. I'd think he's a decent choice to work with Cassel as we're not going to be much of a deep ball, gunslinger type team.

2. OLB - Need a better pass rush somewhere else besides Hali and corner/saftey blitzes. Mark Herzlich might be worth the risk in the middle rounds.

3. ILB - Belcher isn't a long term answer. Quan Sturdivent or Casey Matthews a little later.

4. OL Depth/C - Wiegmann and Waters won't be around much longer. I'm not sure what to think about Richardson. At the very least we could use some serviceable rookies to hopefully grow into a role.

5. NT - Hard to come by, but we need one.

6. QB - See ya later Brodie.

Thanks Aussie!

I believe the best WR strategy is free agency. It seems like WR has a very high bust% in the early rounds of a draft. Early Doucet, Steve Breaston, and Larry Fitzgerald are all fre agents this year in Arizona. I can't imagine that AZ will sign them all. They all have history with Haley, so Haley would know what he is getting. I'd rather pluck one of those guys out of FA rather than spend a 1st rd pick on a WR that has never played a down of NFL football. Although, I wouldn't be super opposed to doing both. This team has zero depth at WR. I think you could find a WR in rounds 2 or 3 that could come in and contribute right away.

I'd like to see us snag Fitz for sure.

I am very interested to see if we go after fitzgerald. I heard that we were right in there with negotiations for Boldin last offseason. My gut says we make a move for him. But we can rest assured that we will be adding WRs this offseason. With our current state I am curious to see how many we bring to camp.

But I still can't justify using a 1rst rounder on one... maybe if we are reaching for an O lineman and Jones is settin there.

I am curious to see how Sheffield comes into play this off season at LB.

I've been saying since Lilja came back to town that he's a much better fit if he could move to center. He's played beside Saturday and Weigman his entire career so he's had to pick up a few tips. That would allow Asomoah to move to into the line-up at RG. We'd still need another strong prospect in the interior line whenever Waters decides to retire.

Richardson may or may not be an answer at RT but in reality this was his first full year of starting.

Definitely need a second WR. You just can't have opposing defenses double teaming Bowe all game because they have nothing to fear on the other side.

I like DJ and Belcher inside and Tamba outside but we've got to have another OLB to force the rush opposite Hali. I liked what I saw from Sheffield in the preseason, too bad he went down with an injury.

I think the secondary will be just fine given another season to grow together.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast