Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    Now I remember why I stopped taking part in these Forums, I'm turning into the type of person I hate, wasting my time arguing with people that have no lives that spend it watching stupid crap that doesn't matter like forums and facebook. I'm going to get back to my real life and work for that matter but before I go one last time...

I agree we need to upgrade the line, but as of now we have starters in place for next year or at least options at the positions (unless anyone retires) but should still look to upgrade somewhere like you should every off-season.

Who is our starter at WR2?? I can't think of anyone on our team who could contribute at that position. which is why I feel like we need to upgrade at the position. If a guy that was setting on his couch watching football the week before can come in and start a playoff game for you the week he is signed it's not a good thing for your team or that position group, if we did the same thing with our right tackle or guard I would say that was a pretty big issue as well. I don't know what scenario could make it more glaring of a need..

at least the guys from the KC star agree with me (An article on the site today about upgrading the WR's) and the WR's recieved a "C" grade tied for the lowest grade of any position given this season.

You have your opinion, I have mine, we will see how it turns out in a few months, regardless we have work to do at either position to contend for a championship.

agreed?
    I think we all agree that this team needs help at WR. Just different opinions of when and how to acquire them. No one is right or wrong, this forum is simply that. A forum to discuss ideas on all things Chiefs. Nobody is attacking your strategy. But other people are also allowed to have their own strategy.

How about this for instance. I would say that WR is our single biggest need, but I still wouldn't spend a 1st rounder on it. The drop off in talent at WR from rounds 1 and 2 is just not that great. Look at past drafts, very rarely are there more than 2-3 WR's taken in the first round. In 2010, there were 2. Demaryius Thomas(bust so far), Dez Bryant(Special Teams, #3 WR).

In 2009, there were several good WR's that went in the first round. Great year for WR's not only in the 1st round.

In 2008, there were no WR's taken in the 1st rd.

In 2007, Chiefs took Dwayne Bowe, Miami took Tedd Ginn, Lions took Calvin Johnson, Saints took Robert Meachem, Chargers took Craig Davis, Colts took Anthony Gonzalez. Calvin and Bowe are the only two that panned out after 3 years.

I think a strategy of getting a known commodity through free agency, then taking a WR in rounds 2 or 3 gives the Chiefs the best chance to adding DEPTH at WR and upside potential.

2010 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2010 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    2009 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2009 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    2008 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2008 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    http://www.mynfldraft.com/2007

Bottom line is people will always see a different path to get to the same goal. And a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Cassel having time to throw and people to throw to are musts... question is which one do we address first?

I am starting to buy into Piolis' "right 53" only because great franchises seem to get 110% from otherwise mediocre players, and I believe it comes from the "team first" mentality. So I think he can go any number of ways in the first round but ultimately will pick a "high character" guy that fits our system first and foremost...

I know everyone is as excited about this offseason as I am and for the first time we don't have holes in every position. But this kind of talk is ultimately futile until we let free agency run its course.

I am glad to talk about needs for next season after a frustrating and disappointing Sunday.

I think Kendrick Lewis is the answer at FS, so I don't see secondary as a need at all.

I do think we need help on the O-line, particularly I think we need to draft an LT and then work from there to find the best configuration in camp with what we have left. I also think a center might be a good idea because Wiegmann is long in the tooth.

We definitely need help at WR but I think I would look to this in free agency. I really, REALLY hope we make a run at Fitzgerald. I would trade our #1 for Fitzgerald and hope to pick up a LOT or NT in the 2nd round.

Also, we need help at NT. Of course, these are tough to find. If there is a good NT prospect on the board at #21, I would go there and address LOT in FA.

Finally, I think we need help at OLB - Vrabel is a smart and will make a great coach but physically he just isn't making as many plays as we need him to make.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    If we do, he's most likely going to play RT. The team is happy with Albert at LT, and while he isn't the greatest LT in the league, he's certainly not the worst.
    Oh really? Then why was the Chiefs O-Line coach wanting them to draft Russel Okung last year?

Chiefs Coach Wanted Russell Okung | KC Chiefs Blog

That article was also posted on the Seahawks web site, so it's confirmed, not speculation. And Albert regressed badly at the end of the end of this season. If they are happy with that, they are complete, utter fools.

I see the line struggling more short-term by having a rookie LT and moving Albert to a brand-new position. It would be counter productive.
    Sorry, but I don't believe that for one minute. I really believe Albert would flourish at the LG position. Keeping Albert at LT is what's really counter productive. And who says that a good rookie LT can't come in and help an O-Line be productive? Look no further than the guy mentioned above, Russell Okung, and do take note that the Seahawks are advancing in the post-season and the Chiefs aren't & it can traced to the great pass protection Okung gave Hasselbeck in the Hawks game against the Saints. Albert has proven that he can't get it done for the Chiefs QB's when the Chiefs fall behind and have to throw the ball.

I know, guard was his college position, but the guy has played LT two years now in the zone-blocking scheme the Chiefs have implemented and his role would change a lot by moving
    His play at LT has not been good enough those two years, having his role change by moving him to Guard to take over Waters spot would not only be an upgrade, it would change his role for the better.

Asamoah is likely the future replacement for Waters....
    They'd be better served to plug Asamoah into Right Guard as Lilja is too small and, as somebody else suggested, move Lilja to Center.

...so adding another tackle and center in the draft (in the later rounds like Pioli always does) is probably the route they will go.
    And one and done in the post-season is the route that the Chiefs will be going ( if they make it back to the post season in the first place ), as long as Pioli keeps up with that trend.

We've beat the deadhorse on our OL play all year, so I'll be brief and agree to disagree.

1.) The Chiefs wanting Russel Okung in no way signals that the Chiefs aren't happy with Branden Albert, it's just that Muir thought Okung was a stud. Agreed, Okung has played awesome and is an upgrade from Albert.

2.) Your solution to our Oline needs is Russel Okung, as that's who you continually cite. Is there a prospect out there of Okung's caliber that will be available at 21? I doubt it.

3.) I don't think the solution to fixing the Chiefs is completely revamping the Oline in one offseason and replace a line that was first in the league in rushing and also were one of the best in sacks taken.

4.) I can make the same argument about one and done in the offseason. Michael Roos, Jake Long, Ryan Clady and Joe Thomas sure have guided their teams to big playoff runs, haven't they?

5.) Lilja played very solid this year. Why move a 7-year veteran at guard to center? This seems like a rare occurance in the NFL.

The coaching staff has proved that they can coach up the O-line to be one of the best in the league. Hell, Madden has them up for one of the top 5 lines in the league this year, but knows jack about football right?

We've beat the deadhorse on our OL play all year, so I'll be brief and agree to disagree.
    Dead horse? Not hardly. It's very much a big elephant in the room that needs to be addressed. They got by with smoke and mirrors this year & the last 2 games showed that the smoke has left the building.

1.) The Chiefs wanting Russel Okung in no way signals that the Chiefs aren't happy with Branden Albert, it's just that Muir thought Okung was a stud. Agreed, Okung has played awesome and is an upgrade from Albert.
    Since when has a team ever wanted to draft a player to replace a young player that they are happy with? I've never heard of it, simply because it's never happened.

2.) Your solution to our Oline needs is Russel Okung, as that's who you continually cite. Is there a prospect out there of Okung's caliber that will be available at 21? I doubt it.
    I used Okung as an example and he was a player the Chiefs could have drafted. As for this year, the LT's that are available may not be as heralded as Okung was, but that doesn't mean they can't come in and upgrade the LT position. Sherrod has good size, footwork, and his strength is handling speed-rushers. He's not as strong as Okung, but some off-season weight training would be all he needs.

3.) I don't think the solution to fixing the Chiefs is completely revamping the Oline in one offseason and replace a line that was first in the league in rushing and also were one of the best in sacks taken.
    You can't be totally blind to the fact that is was obviously due to an easy schedule. They are not going to have that luxury next year. Weigmann and Waters are at the trail end and they are going to have revamp the O-Line whether anyone thinks they need to or not.

4.) I can make the same argument about one and done in the offseason. Michael Roos, Jake Long, Ryan Clady and Joe Thomas sure have guided their teams to big playoff runs, haven't they?
    LOL, that's not even remotely close to being a valid arguement. Do you realize how many examples I could list of teams that did advance with solid LT's? A blind man man with a cane can easily see that if the Chiefs want to advance in the post season, then they do need to revamp the O-Line.

5.) Lilja played very solid this year. Why move a 7-year veteran at guard to center? This seems like a rare occurance in the NFL.
    As already mentioned, he's too small to go against bigger DT's. He couldn't handle the Raiders Tommy Kelly, and guys like Suh will kill him next year. It may not be a common occurrence changing positions, but it has happened, and it would be for the better.

The coaching staff has proved that they can coach up the O-line to be one of the best in the league. Hell, Madden has them up for one of the top 5 lines in the league this year, but knows jack about football right?
    No they simply got by with an easy schedule, and luck avoiding the injury bug. Madden is basing that on numbers alone & those numbers came from an easy schedule. Along the same line of Waters being voted to the Pro Bowl.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-11-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Dead horse? Not hardly. It's very much a big elephant in the room that needs to be addressed. They got by with smoke and mirrors this year & the last 2 games showed that the smoke has left the building.

Since when has a team ever wanted to draft a player to replace a young player that they are happy with? I've never heard of it, simply because it's never happened.

I used Okung as an example and he was a player the Chiefs could have drafted. As for this year, the LT's that are available may not be as heralded as Okung was, but that doesn't mean they can't come in and upgrade the LT position. Sherrod has good size, footwork, and his strength is handling speed-rushers. He's not as strong as Okung, but some off-season weight training would be all he needs.

You can't be totally blind to the fact that is was obviously due to an easy schedule. They are not going to have that luxury next year. Weigmann and Waters are at the trail end and they are going to have revamp the O-Line whether anyone thinks they need to or not.

LOL, that's not even remotely close to being a valid arguement. Do you realize how many examples I could list of teams that did advance with solid LT's? A blind man man with a cane can easily see that if the Chiefs want to advance in the post season, then they do need to revamp the O-Line.

As already mentioned, he's too small to go against bigger DT's. He couldn't handle the Raiders Tommy Kelly, and guys like Suh will kill him next year. It may not be a common occurrence changing positions, but it has happened, and it would be for the better.

No they simply got by with an easy schedule, and luck avoiding the injury bug. Madden is basing that on numbers alone & those numbers came from an easy schedule. Along the same line of Waters being voted to the Pro Bowl.
    Major props on your use of multi-quote. Wow.

Just got back. This was a pretty great season, even though it fell apart in the last two games. I'm not going to say that our record is just because of the easy schedule, but we certainly shouldn't be thinking we're going to stay in 1st place without some upgrades.

Our FA pickups (Smith, Lilja, Wiegmann, and Jones) did a whole lot better than I could have imagined, but unfortunately we still have most the same holes as we had last offseason. We need, in no particular order:

1. A legimate pass rusher at LB across from Hali. This is our biggest need. Von Miller or Akeem Ayres should drop. We need to avoid the Herm-era mistake of assuming one great player can continually do the work of two good ones.

2. Upgrades on the OL. I think the Raiders and Ravens games showed us that our OL can hold up against bad pass rushes, even good ones destroy them. Wiegmann and Waters are at the end of their careers. Lilja is undersized and was abused the last few weeks of the season. Richardson is a backup. O'Callaghan should be taken out and shot. Let's draft a RT in the 2nd and some inside youth late.

3. A new NT. Ron Edwards was the best surprise of the season not named DJ, but enough's enough. Get a legit long-term starter at the position or abandon the 3-

4. Legit WRs. Chambers is done. McCluster didn't look remotely worth his 2nd round pick. Curtis was a stopgap. And Copper/Lawrence/Tucker are special teams guys at best. We need at least two new starting WRs for next season.

5. A strong safety. While Berry had his moments, and I think he was worth the pick last season, he is just not good as a SS. Move him to FS already, make Lewis his backup, move McGraw back to special teams, and get a legit SS for that spot.

6. A new second CB. I like Brandon Carr. He plays hard, and he gets a lot of passes thrown his way because of Flowers on the other side. But he just isn't getting the job done.

7. A blocking TE. So long as Moeaki is healthy, we're set there. But a nice big blocking TE would be helpful while the line rebuilds.

8. Depth at ILB. DJ and Belcher both look like keepers, but we have nothing behind them.

9. Backup QB. Enough with Croyle. I didn't like him before the season, and I loathe him now. Get a real QB to back Cassel up.

10. A new OC. Don't do it Haley. Do not decide to call the plays yourself next season.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Oh really? Then why was the Chiefs O-Line coach wanting them to draft Russel Okung last year?

Chiefs Coach Wanted Russell Okung | KC Chiefs Blog

That article was also posted on the Seahawks web site, so it's confirmed, not speculation. And Albert regressed badly at the end of the end of this season. If they are happy with that, they are complete, utter fools.

Sorry, but I don't believe that for one minute. I really believe Albert would flourish at the LG position. Keeping Albert at LT is what's really counter productive. And who says that a good rookie LT can't come in and help an O-Line be productive? Look no further than the guy mentioned above, Russell Okung, and do take note that the Seahawks are advancing in the post-season and the Chiefs aren't & it can traced to the great pass protection Okung gave Hasselbeck in the Hawks game against the Saints. Albert has proven that he can't get it done for the Chiefs QB's when the Chiefs fall behind and have to throw the ball.

His play at LT has not been good enough those two years, having his role change by moving him to Guard to take over Waters spot would not only be an upgrade, it would change his role for the better.

They'd be better served to plug Asamoah into Right Guard as Lilja is too small and, as somebody else suggested, move Lilja to Center.

And one and done in the post-season is the route that the Chiefs will be going ( if they make it back to the post season in the first place ), as long as Pioli keeps up with that trend.
    Every coach wants us to draft guys at there postions. Coaches want a new toy. They want someone new to work with to help improve that postion. That's nothing new it's happend for years in the NFL

I really don't understand all this talk to move albert. He played good this season and will continue to get better. He is still a young player. This was his 3rd year it was a year that he HAD to show improvement and he DID. Hei is just fine where he is.

We do need to get younger on the o line i agree. But I don't think we need to change anyone postions. That would be a step backwards IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Just got back. This was a pretty great season, even though it fell apart in the last two games. I'm not going to say that our record is just because of the easy schedule, but we certainly shouldn't be thinking we're going to stay in 1st place without some upgrades.

Our FA pickups (Smith, Lilja, Wiegmann, and Jones) did a whole lot better than I could have imagined, but unfortunately we still have most the same holes as we had last offseason. We need, in no particular order:

1. A legimate pass rusher at LB across from Hali. This is our biggest need. Von Miller or Akeem Ayres should drop. We need to avoid the Herm-era mistake of assuming one great player can continually do the work of two good ones.

2. Upgrades on the OL. I think the Raiders and Ravens games showed us that our OL can hold up against bad pass rushes, even good ones destroy them. Wiegmann and Waters are at the end of their careers. Lilja is undersized and was abused the last few weeks of the season. Richardson is a backup. O'Callaghan should be taken out and shot. Let's draft a RT in the 2nd and some inside youth late.

3. A new NT. Ron Edwards was the best surprise of the season not named DJ, but enough's enough. Get a legit long-term starter at the position or abandon the 3-

4. Legit WRs. Chambers is done. McCluster didn't look remotely worth his 2nd round pick. Curtis was a stopgap. And Copper/Lawrence/Tucker are special teams guys at best. We need at least two new starting WRs for next season.

5. A strong safety. While Berry had his moments, and I think he was worth the pick last season, he is just not good as a SS. Move him to FS already, make Lewis his backup, move McGraw back to special teams, and get a legit SS for that spot.

6. A new second CB. I like Brandon Carr. He plays hard, and he gets a lot of passes thrown his way because of Flowers on the other side. But he just isn't getting the job done.

7. A blocking TE. So long as Moeaki is healthy, we're set there. But a nice big blocking TE would be helpful while the line rebuilds.

8. Depth at ILB. DJ and Belcher both look like keepers, but we have nothing behind them.

9. Backup QB. Enough with Croyle. I didn't like him before the season, and I loathe him now. Get a real QB to back Cassel up.

10. A new OC. Don't do it Haley. Do not decide to call the plays yourself next season.
    Agree with you for the most part just a couple of disagreements.
    1. I think you move WR over NT. I think we need help at both but I just think we need Help at the WR spot more then NT assumeing we do get that pass rusher to go with Hali

2. I don't want to move Berry. He got better as the season went along. This was his rookie year It's NOT time to move him. We need to see how he contiues to devolpe then decided if we need to move him or not. One season is not long enought to say that he is not a good SS

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast