Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Every coach wants us to draft guys at there postions. Coaches want a new toy. They want someone new to work with to help improve that postion. That's nothing new it's happend for years in the NFL
    Sorry, but I've already heard that line of BS, and that's just what it is -- a line of BS. We're not talking about wanting to add players to a unit. We're talking the 5th overall pick in the draft, because the Chiefs O-Line coach saw it as need, to get a real LT -- and it still is a need, I don't care what anybody says.

I really don't understand all this talk to move albert. He played good this season and will continue to get better. He is still a young player. This was his 3rd year it was a year that he HAD to show improvement and he DID. Hei is just fine where he is.
    He played good against whom? Dwight Freeney? The Raiders? The Chargers at SD? The Ravens? NO, he did not show improvement, he regressed toward the end and showed he's as good as he ever going to be at LT and it isn't good enough. After the 2nd Raiders game, one person posted here suggesting they cut him and, although I wouldn't go that far, it clearly showed that when the Chiefs get behind & have to throw the ball against teams that can rush the passer, he can't provide good pass protection needed for their passing game to work. That was also illustrated in the 2nd SD game as well against the Ravens. He's a Guard playing out of position at LT, and it's not working against teams that can rush the passer.

We do need to get younger on the o line i agree. But I don't think we need to change anyone postions. That would be a step backwards
    I don't believe that for one minute. Getting a legit LT that can pass-block & moving Albert to LG would clearly be moving forward. Leaving Albert at LT is what is going to be stepping backwards when they face a much tougher schedule this next year.

We need to go after Breaston..AZ has another year before Fritz is a free agent and I'm sure they will slap the tag on him. I'd like to see the Chiefs go after Gabe Carimi. He has a monster build and is considered one of the top OL prospects in the draft..I know it's wishful thinking since Somebody will snag him before our turn comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I think we all agree that this team needs help at WR. Just different opinions of when and how to acquire them. No one is right or wrong, this forum is simply that. A forum to discuss ideas on all things Chiefs. Nobody is attacking your strategy. But other people are also allowed to have their own strategy.

How about this for instance. I would say that WR is our single biggest need, but I still wouldn't spend a 1st rounder on it. The drop off in talent at WR from rounds 1 and 2 is just not that great. Look at past drafts, very rarely are there more than 2-3 WR's taken in the first round. In 2010, there were 2. Demaryius Thomas(bust so far), Dez Bryant(Special Teams, #3 WR).

In 2009, there were several good WR's that went in the first round. Great year for WR's not only in the 1st round.

In 2008, there were no WR's taken in the 1st rd.

In 2007, Chiefs took Dwayne Bowe, Miami took Tedd Ginn, Lions took Calvin Johnson, Saints took Robert Meachem, Chargers took Craig Davis, Colts took Anthony Gonzalez. Calvin and Bowe are the only two that panned out after 3 years.

I think a strategy of getting a known commodity through free agency, then taking a WR in rounds 2 or 3 gives the Chiefs the best chance to adding DEPTH at WR and upside potential.

2010 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2010 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    2009 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2009 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    2008 NFL Draft Results Round 1 | 2008 NFL Draft Results | NFL Draft Results
    http://www.mynfldraft.com/2007
    I agree with that but I would like to bring someone proven in I think we need help right away and to draft a wr to have help going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
    We need to go after Breaston..AZ has another year before Fritz is a free agent and I'm sure they will slap the tag on him. I'd like to see the Chiefs go after Gabe Carimi. He has a monster build and is considered one of the top OL prospects in the draft..I know it's wishful thinking since Somebody will snag him before our turn comes up.
    Carimi is an interesting guy & he might very well be there at #21, if they want him. From what I've read, his pass-blocking skills improved as the 2010 season progressed and he's a killer run blocker. And, yes, size wise, he's a monster with great mobility and defenders don't overpower him.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    Sorry, but I've already heard that line of BS, and that's just what it is -- a line of BS. We're not talking about wanting to add players to a unit. We're talking the 5th overall pick in the draft, because the Chiefs O-Line coach saw it as need, to get a real LT -- and it still is a need, I don't care what anybody says.

He played good against whom? Dwight Freeney? The Raiders? The Chargers at SD? The Ravens? NO, he did not show improvement, he regressed toward the end and showed he's as good as he ever going to be at LT and it isn't good enough. After the 2nd Raiders game, one person posted here suggesting they cut him and, although I wouldn't go that far, it clearly showed that when the Chiefs get behind & have to throw the ball against teams that can rush the passer, he can't provide good pass protection needed for their passing game to work. That was also illustrated in the 2nd SD game as well against the Ravens. He's a Guard playing out of position at LT, and it's not working against teams that can rush the passer.

I don't believe that for one minute. Getting a legit LT that can pass-block & moving Albert to LG would clearly be moving forward. Leaving Albert at LT is what is going to be stepping backwards when they face a much tougher schedule this next year.

It's not bS it's just how it is. The fact that ONE coach wanted him does not mean it's a can't miss move. The FACT is that since we went away from him our coach gm and scouts felt that he was not the best for this team.

So Albert is the only one that struggled in those games? I could have sworn there were 10 other guys on the field as well. Albert was part of that. You mentioned 4 games out of 17. So for the most part the O line did there job and YES Albert was a part of that. And I could have sworn we had the NUMBER 1 RUSHING GAME IN THE NFL. Yes Charles deserves credit but he didn't do it alone.

Changine postions would be a step back for Albert. Yes he has played Other postions in the past but not in the NFL. He would have to take time to devolpe at ANY new postion in the NFL. The NFL is a huge jump from college. That's just fact.

Not sure why this post was made twice computers been acting funny today lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fastphilly View Post
    I really don't think we are going to go after fritz his price would just be to big. I saw on ESPN a couple of days ago that he was working on resigning with the Cards I don't think that he will be going anywere this year.

Agree with you for the most part just a couple of disagreements.
    1. I think you move WR over NT. I think we need help at both but I just think we need Help at the WR spot more then NT assumeing we do get that pass rusher to go with Hali

2. I don't want to move Berry. He got better as the season went along. This was his rookie year It's NOT time to move him. We need to see how he contiues to devolpe then decided if we need to move him or not. One season is not long enought to say that he is not a good SS
    I wasn't listing in order. I agree that getting a legit WR opposite Bowe is extremey important. I know he was a malcontent this season and maybe prohibitively expensive, but we should look at Vincent Jackson.

I think Berry was wasted at SS this season. We didn't draft him to be the new Bernard Pollard - we drafted him to be Ed Reed.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    I wasn't listing in order. I agree that getting a legit WR opposite Bowe is extremey important. I know he was a malcontent this season and maybe prohibitively expensive, but we should look at Vincent Jackson.

I think Berry was wasted at SS this season. We didn't draft him to be the new Bernard Pollard - we drafted him to be Ed Reed.
    Yeah i read that after i posted that Guess my reading skills are not at there peak today

It's not bS it's just how it is. The fact that ONE coach wanted him does not mean it's a can't miss move. The FACT is that since we went away from him our coach gm and scouts felt that he was not the best for this team.
    No, they went away from Okung because they knew a majority of fans were clamoring for Eric Berry. That was broadcast all over place that Berry was the fan favorite, and season ticket sales are lower than they've been in over 20 years. Clark Hunt had the final say on the pick. They went with the fan favorite in 2010 because of the unpopularity of the Tyson Jackson pick the year before. That too, was broadcast all over the place.

So Albert is the only one that struggled in those games? I could have sworn there were 10 other guys on the field as well. Albert was part of that. You mentioned 4 games out of 17. So for the most part the O line did there job and YES Albert was a part of that. And I could have sworn we had the NUMBER 1 RUSHING GAME IN THE NFL. Yes Charles deserves credit but he didn't do it alone.
    How many times does it have spelled out that what they did was against a very easy schedule? Do you think it'll be 4 out of 17 against a tougher schedule next year? Highly doubtful. Run blocking isn't a problem for Albert, it's pass protection against the leagues better pass rushers. Oh, and lets not forget his inexcusable false start after a Chiefs timeout, that stalled a drive and negated a chance for the Chiefs to seize a foothold in the Ravens game.

Changine postions would be a step back for Albert. Yes he has played Other postions in the past but not in the NFL. He would have to take time to devolpe at ANY new postion in the NFL. The NFL is a huge jump from college. That's just fact.
    You can't be serious, because that's absolute BS. Peoples exhibit A: 1999 1st round draftee John Tait. He never played RT in college or in the NFL, but where did the Chiefs move him to when Willie Roaf joined the team in 2002? That's right, RT. Did he struggle at the RT position? Nope, he played so well that Chicago offered him a huge contract to jump to them via FA. No way would it be a step backward to move Albert to a position that he's already played. It would clearly be an upgrade to the Guard position & a step forward.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 01-11-2011 at 05:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    No, they went away from Okung because they knew a majority of fans were clamoring for Eric Berry. That was broadcast all over place that Berry was the fan favorite, and season ticket sales are lower than they've been in over 20 years. Clark Hunt had the final say on the pick. They went with the fan favorite in 2010 because of the unpopularity of the Tyson Jackson pick the year before. That too, was broadcast all over the place.

How many times does it have spelled out that what they did was against a very easy schedule? Do you think it'll be 4 out of 17 against a tougher schedule next year? Highly doubtful. Run blocking isn't a problem for Albert, it's pass protection against the leagues better pass rushers. Oh, and lets not forget his inexcusable false start after a Chiefs timeout, that stalled a drive and negated a chance for the Chiefs to seize a foothold in the Ravens game.

You can't be serious, because that's absolute BS. Peoples exhibit A: 1999 1st round draftee John Tait. He never played RT in college or in the NFL, but where did the Chiefs move him to when Wille Roaf joined the team in 2002? That's right, RT. Did he struggle at the RT position? Nope, he played so well that Chicago offered him a huge contract to jump to them via FA. No way would it be a step backward to move Albert to a position that he's already played. It would clearly be an upgrade to the Guard position & a step forward.

Or maybe JUST MAYBE Pioli Haley and our Scouts KNEW WHAT THEY WERE DOING. I don't think any NFL team is that stupid to draft a guy based on what there fans think over what they think is the better player for there team. It may have been rumored but I doubt that is a true rumor. We have seen that this week already.

I don't no if he will struggle or not next year regardless of the spot he plays. Do you no that he won't continue to improve going into next year? Albert might stuggles against the Better pass rushers. So do a lot of O line man THAT'S WHY THEY ARE THE GOOD PASS RUSHERS. So every other o line man that strugglest against the best needs to change postions? Seems to me there would be a whole lot of changeing going on.

Albert moveing back MIGHT work out. But the FACT is that we don't know what we have in Albert for any other postion then what he has played in the NFL. He will not only have to learn to play the postion in the NFL but he will be rusty at that spot. He's played his current postion 3 years now. I think if he was "clearly an upgrade" we would have moved him there. What is Clear is that our coaches don't think that's the case because they have not moved him.

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast