Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    You can't be serious, because that's absolute BS. Peoples exhibit A: 1999 1st round draftee John Tait. He never played RT in college or in the NFL, but where did the Chiefs move him to when Willie Roaf joined the team in 2002? That's right, RT. Did he struggle at the RT position? Nope, he played so well that Chicago offered him a huge contract to jump to them via FA. No way would it be a step backward to move Albert to a position that he's already played. It would clearly be an upgrade to the Guard position & a step forward.
    Pro Bowler Leonard Davis (failed LT, moved to LG) is another pretty good example. So is Jason Smith on the Rams. They wanted him to be a LT, he didn't work out, so now he's a good RT.

I mean, how did Albert do against great run defenses and pass rushes this year? If the answers range from "not well" to "horrible" then he needs to be upgraded if we everwant to do well against those.

Quote Originally Posted by bwilliams View Post
    Just got back. This was a pretty great season, even though it fell apart in the last two games. I'm not going to say that our record is just because of the easy schedule, but we certainly shouldn't be thinking we're going to stay in 1st place without some upgrades.

Our FA pickups (Smith, Lilja, Wiegmann, and Jones) did a whole lot better than I could have imagined, but unfortunately we still have most the same holes as we had last offseason. We need, in no particular order:

1. A legimate pass rusher at LB across from Hali. This is our biggest need. Von Miller or Akeem Ayres should drop. We need to avoid the Herm-era mistake of assuming one great player can continually do the work of two good ones.
    I certainly don't agree that this is our biggest need.

The Chiefs ranked tenth in The NFL in Sacks, with 39.

I would love for that to improve. But this team was pretty good at getting after the QB in 2010. There are areas that they were not good at, that would require more attention, IMO.

2. Upgrades on the OL. I think the Raiders and Ravens games showed us that our OL can hold up against bad pass rushes, even good ones destroy them. Wiegmann and Waters are at the end of their careers. Lilja is undersized and was abused the last few weeks of the season. Richardson is a backup. O'Callaghan should be taken out and shot. Let's draft a RT in the 2nd and some inside youth late.
    It is very difficult for me to not love the idea of upgrading our LOT position, and putting the run-blocking machine of Branden Albert where his sub-par pass blocking would be helped, at OG.

3. A new NT. Ron Edwards was the best surprise of the season not named DJ, but enough's enough. Get a legit long-term starter at the position or abandon the 3-4.
    I am thrilled with Ron Edwards.

I was right with you, last off-season, in thinking that Edwards was completely unable to do the job. But he did it. And he did it very well.

He made fools of many of us. I would let this one go.

4. Legit WRs. Chambers is done. McCluster didn't look remotely worth his 2nd round pick. Curtis was a stopgap. And Copper/Lawrence/Tucker are special teams guys at best. We need at least two new starting WRs for next season.
    AT LEAST... one.

5. A strong safety. While Berry had his moments, and I think he was worth the pick last season, he is just not good as a SS. Move him to FS already, make Lewis his backup, move McGraw back to special teams, and get a legit SS for that spot.
    Berry was a stud at SS, with an occasional rookie mistake.

I wanted Okung in the draft last year. And, given the chance to go back, I would still be hoping for Okung.

But we got Berry. And Berry was as good as anyone could ever hope for a rookie to play at SS.

And Lewis was a great surprise at FS. So we would diminish his value by trying to move Berry.

6. A new second CB. I like Brandon Carr. He plays hard, and he gets a lot of passes thrown his way because of Flowers on the other side. But he just isn't getting the job done.
    Here, I am with you.

Carr had some really good games. But getting another Flowers would be terrific!

However, I am not going to be upset if Carr winds up leveling out and being a solid #2 CB.

7. A blocking TE. So long as Moeaki is healthy, we're set there. But a nice big blocking TE would be helpful while the line rebuilds.

8. Depth at ILB. DJ and Belcher both look like keepers, but we have nothing behind them.

9. Backup QB. Enough with Croyle. I didn't like him before the season, and I loathe him now. Get a real QB to back Cassel up.
    Competition, at least. We didn't see enough of Croyle for me to go looking for a replacement. But a young guy to grow with the offense would be a good thing.

10. A new OC. Don't do it Haley. Do not decide to call the plays yourself next season.
    Agreed, in full!

I'd be thrilled if Haley were to work with McDaniels. But we need someone, no matter what, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Every coach wants us to draft guys at there postions. Coaches want a new toy. They want someone new to work with to help improve that postion. That's nothing new it's happend for years in the NFL.
    Just out of curiosity, do you think that The Browns will have coaches wanting to replace Joe Thomas? How about The Dolphins? The Seahawks, Ravens, Saints, or Broncos?

Or, how about this?

Do you think that The Patriots, Colts, Saints, Chargers, or Eagles will have a coach suggesting to take a QB in the first round?

When you have an excellent player at a specific position, you don't recommend using your first round pick (especially that high of a first round pick) on that position.

I really don't understand all this talk to move albert. He played good this season and will continue to get better. He is still a young player. This was his 3rd year it was a year that he HAD to show improvement and he DID. Hei is just fine where he is.

We do need to get younger on the o line i agree. But I don't think we need to change anyone postions. That would be a step backwards IMO
    He played extremely well in run blocking. But, as we opened up the playbook for more passing, he became exposed for being a weaker pass protector.

It's the reverse of what happened last season.

When LJ was failing through the first half of the season, Albert looked bad, because he was being asked to pass block alot. But once Charles took over, and we had a successful running game, he no longer had to protect as often. That helped mask his skills at LOT.

When you are a great run blocker, who struggles against speed rushers, in space, you are custom made for the interior of the o-line.

Oh and...

Welcome back.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

Just out of curiosity, do you think that The Browns will have coaches wanting to replace Joe Thomas? How about The Dolphins? The Seahawks, Ravens, Saints, or Broncos?

Or, how about this?

Do you think that The Patriots, Colts, Saints, Chargers, or Eagles will have a coach suggesting to take a QB in the first round?

When you have an excellent player at a specific position, you don't recommend using your first round pick (especially that high of a first round pick) on that position.

He played extremely well in run blocking. But, as we opened up the playbook for more passing, he became exposed for being a weaker pass protector.

It's the reverse of what happened last season.

When LJ was failing through the first half of the season, Albert looked bad, because he was being asked to pass block alot. But once Charles took over, and we had a successful running game, he no longer had to protect as often. That helped mask his skills at LOT.

When you are a great run blocker, who struggles against speed rushers, in space, you are custom made for the interior of the o-line.
    I don't think thoses guys go after guys in the first round but I do think later in the drafts coaches in that spot do want to sure up the depth at that spot and make there thoughts known.

Albert is still a young devolpeing player. My point is that he got better this year. Is he GREAT no but he is getting better. I don't think we stop the process of that to move him. Let him keep working and see if he continues to Improve. At the point where he stops improveing then you move him not now.

I certainly don't agree that this is our biggest need.
    You missed this...

I wasn't listing in order. I agree that getting a legit WR opposite Bowe is extremey important. I know he was a malcontent this season and maybe prohibitively expensive, but we should look at Vincent Jackson.

I think Berry was wasted at SS this season. We didn't draft him to be the new Bernard Pollard - we drafted him to be Ed Reed.

I don't think thoses guys go after guys in the first round but I do think later in the drafts coaches in that spot do want to sure up the depth at that spot and make there thoughts known.

Albert is still a young devolpeing player. My point is that he got better this year. Is he GREAT no but he is getting better. I don't think we stop the process of that to move him. Let him keep working and see if he continues to Improve. At the point where he stops improveing then you move him not now.
    We can argue back and forth all day about what the Chiefs should do. It goes to say that certain people want the best at a certain position, be it WR, RB, QB, LT, or wherever. Albert isn't the best at his position, and he's certainly not the worst.

Could we go after a LT in the first round? Sure. Do I think we will? No.

I am not 100% opposed to moveing Albert. I do think that IF we move him then it has to be a CLEAR upgrade. IMO that's not a rookie. If we bring in a rookie LT then let him compete with Albert don't just move Albert. Make them earn it. If we get a CLEAR upgrade at LT then I would not mind seeing how Albert did at other spots. I just don't want to move him and find out we got someone who can't do the job as good as him.

Here's a great article about the "low-bust rate" first round LT position:

Young, and Defending the Blind Side - NYTimes.com

When you are satisfied with the guy you have at a position, you do not recommend drafting his replacement in the first round.

Late rounds, for depth? Of course.

But if your o-line coach wants a new LOT at the start of the first round of the draft, then he is not sold on who he has there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post

We can argue back and forth all day (We have months.Lol.)about what the Chiefs should do. It goes to say that certain people want the best at a certain position, be it WR, RB, QB, LT, or wherever. Albert isn't the best at his position, and he's certainly not the worst.

Could we go after a LT in the first round? Sure. Do I think we will? No.
    I don't either.

They have needed to go LOT for the past five off-seasons, and haven't truly done it.

But it may well be what I would do.

You missed this...

I wasn't listing in order. I agree that getting a legit WR opposite Bowe is extremey important. I know he was a malcontent this season and maybe prohibitively expensive, but we should look at Vincent Jackson.

I think Berry was wasted at SS this season. We didn't draft him to be the new Bernard Pollard - we drafted him to be Ed Reed.
    Nah. I caught that. But this part ...

1. A legimate pass rusher at LB across from Hali. This is our biggest need. Von Miller or Akeem Ayres should drop. We need to avoid the Herm-era mistake of assuming one great player can continually do the work of two good ones.
    ... specifies, at least this single positional need's ranking.

Nah. I caught that. But this part ...

... specifies, at least this single positional need's ranking.
    You're right, I'm the idiot. It's a once a week thing I pull something like this.

You're right, I'm the idiot. It's a once a week thing I pull something like this.
    No sweat. I do it once an hour, myself.

richardson has been much more of a liability than albert, and by 21 the elite LT prospects will be gone anyway

1st round options need to be-RT, C, WR, OLB

there are no players in this draft that are a true NT and have 1st round talent

a bigger running back needs to be a semi-high priority with jones likely to be done after this year (maybe sooner) and if the nfl switches to an 18 game season, its a necessity to keep charles fresh
    Last edited by whatwasthat?; 01-11-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast