Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718

Thread: 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Default 2011 Chiefs Off-season Needs

Well. Now that the season is over. Lets start looking at the draft and free agency!

What are your top needs, and who do you want us to pick. It looks like we will be picking either at either 21, 22 or 23 (3 way tie between us Indy and the loser of the GB/Philly game, usu decided by a coin toss).

My top needs:

1. Elite FS
    - By far the biggest weakness on our team. Berry will make a great SS. He has the skills to cover zone and man, and is great at coming up against the run. Other than him, we are horrible at safety. It may be better to get someone from free agency. Berry could use some experience to mentor him. (supposedly Champ Bailey wants out of Denver and wants to play FS to prolong his career).

2. OG and/or OC prospect.
    -Our interior is getting old. Waters is still playing well, but is one injury away from retiring. Asamoah will likely be really good soon, but Weigmann is getting old, too. Id love to see our 3rd round pick used here.

3. #2 WR
    - This will open up our offense immensely. Bowe is constantly double teamed. If he is one-on-one, he will get open. If they double him, then Moeaki, the #2 guy, and the run game will open up. I say draft someone in the 2nd round.

4. OLB
    - Vrabel is getting old, isnt getting to the QB and is not the best cover man because he has lost a step. We need someone who is good in coverage, not just a rush guy. Our LBs couldnt keep up with the Ravens' TEs. This could probably be found in either the draft or in FA.

5. NT
    - We dont have a true NT. Our DL is good, but Edwards is old and doesnt have the strength to hold up to 2x teams. We need a big beast in the middle. Not sure if there are any great NTs in the draft, or FA.

6. Backup QB
    - I think we all agree that Brokie Croyle has lost most of his supporters. I say FA or a low round draft pick.

What are your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    And that is where you are wrong -- TOTALLY. I watched Okung give up a sack and strip against SF and never have I defended any him for anything. That's the exception with Okung -- not the rule. The way Albert got beat over the last part of the season was more the rule than the exception. I've said Okung's a better LT than Albert -- BECAUSE THAT'S THE GOSPEL TRUTH !!
    I agree. I don't know what I'm arguing anymore. I want Albert to be good I guess...pathological "apologist".

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I agree. I don't know what I'm arguing anymore. I want Albert to be good I guess...pathological "apologist".
    I'd like Albert to be good, too. But watching what happened with him over the last part of the season, was as butt-ugly as it could get.

But, okay I'll bite. Let's go with Albert at LT for 2011, but I still would like Sherrod with the #21 pick ( if available ) and start him out at RT to get him some seasoning and at the same time provide insurance if Albert gets hurt. If Albert continues to struggle with pass-protection, then they will already have a player on their roster to take over the LT in 2012 & if Albert does blossom at the LT position, then the Chiefs have a pair of quality bookend OT's for a long time. I think that's reason enough to take Sherrod at #21 if available.

So what do you do at the guard position if Albert moves? Who's left out of Lilja, Waters, and Albert in the immediate future?

So what do you do at the guard position if Albert moves? Who's left out of Lilja, Waters, and Albert in the immediate future?
    See my above post & don't forget about Asamoah. Asamoah is going to force his way into the lineup somewhere -- probably at the expense of Lilja, if I had to guess & assuming Waters stays.

Easy. If we get a new LT, Waters moves to C, Albert at LG, and keep Lilja at RG.

Asamoah is primary backup and C/RG of the future.

I'll point out again sacks given up this year:

Albert - 7.75 in 16 games
    Okung 4 in 10 games
    Have to remember that Okung is a rookie, while Albert was in his third season at LOT in The NFL.

All I'm saying is that you're quick to judge Albert, while not doing the same w/ Okung. That is all.
    Three years is not as quick as one.

Also, The Seahawks threw the ball 69 times more than The Chiefs, in 2010.

Albert isn't horrible. But I just don't see how one could call him good.

And if the position is the second most important position on the offense (Certainly debatable, but the pay-scale indicates it) and it has a direct impact on the success, as well as the well-being, of your most important position, then a player who is not good, should be replaced.

Albert is an average nfl LT, probably would be a better RT, we could draft either costanzo or carimi in the first round and move albert to RT if it works out.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronchieffan View Post
    I think we need to get the spots filled that we are ageing on the o line before albert. Albert will still be there in a few years. Wigman Waters wont we need to get there replacements first.
    Agreed! to much talk about moving Albert to G! With one of the least talented batch of OT's in this years draft, it would be a knee jerk reaction to try and plug in a rookie LT. Albert improves every year. Pioli and Haley will give him another year or two and keep developing him.

I say replace other positions on the O-Line like getting a legit RT or finding replacements for Waters and Wieggmann, before replacing Albert with a rookie class that has been labeled "The least talented class of OT's in years" (Just because of players like Okung, Long, Williams, Smith, and Oher the past few years doesn't mean that this class has one capable of stepping in a saving our line.)

Give him another year, and if there is a top notch legit LT in next years class let's make the move, but not this year.

if wisniewski is available he would solve the center/guard problem

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 81415161718